Let it Bleed (50th anniversary)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Atomic Punk, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

That’s what I meant to ask. Thank you for clarifying.

2. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Even worse! :D
    Beave

3. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Yeah, I totally agree with you!
    Unfortunately we’re in the middle of this and we’re paying for it.
    Pity really.
    Beave

Full Circle and nojasa like this.
  4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The anniversary edition seems like a waste with no outtakes. I'll be saving my money.

ODShowtime, The Beave, 905 and 2 others like this.
  5. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

I would if the hardback book and lithographs weren’t included, it’s my favourite album by the stones so to have it another four times is here or there. I don’t save money with The Stones unfortunately.

Joti Cover, btltez and Jack like this.
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Exactly why they missed the boat with this and Beggars Banquet as well for that matter. Two of the best albums of all time and no outtakes.

7. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Totally agree, I just like the look of the book and litho’s, agree about the music but the album is good enough to own again. I’ve given up hope now on Stones studio material/outtakes from the vaults.

btltez and Jack like this.
  8. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Alright - so I'm a bit of a Rolling Stones aficionado and Let It Bleed is probably my favorite album ever. Here are the questions I have surrounding this set:

-Restored art
    What do they mean when they say "restored?" The 2002 remaster, and even the original ABKCO and London CDs, has the original album artwork. Were those versions not accurate to the original released in 1969?

-Remastering
    Why do they advertise it as "newly remastered?" The stereo mix was remastered in 2002 by Bob Ludwig for DSD and released as a hybrid SACD and CD in 2002. The mono mix was remastered by Bob Ludwig and released in I think 2016? as part of the mono box set.

Why would they take the time to create all new transfers and remaster them? What would they improve on that they got wrong in 2002 and 2016? Even the original London and ABKCO discs were not bad. The London discs were mastered very well, but as I understand, the newer ones come from tapes much closer to the original masters.

-Mono mix

What is all of the hype over the mono mix? The mono mix as I understand is just a fold-down of the stereo mix? Sometimes mono mixes back then were more powerful so I get why some people might like them. But I understand that the original was recorded in stereo and released in stereo in the US on London and released in mono (fold down) on Decca in the UK.

-Extras
    I do agree that getting those figurines would be neat. The same way we got some scarves and marbles in the Immersion box sets for Pink Floyd. I do think the booklet and lithographs are a neat touch. The Pink Floyd Immersion boxes included some of those. But in terms of the music - unlike with Sticky Fingers and Exile On Main St deluxe editions, no working mixes, no live tracks, no unreleased stuff.

-Vinyl

Where will the vinyl be pressed? Is it half-speed mastered? I have the clear vinyl released in 2013 or something and my copy skips grooves. I thought it was a pos pressing. The original US stereo Londons are better in my experience for any Rolling Stones vinyl pressing. Same goes for their post 1970 catalog - the originals (Rolling Stones Records) are superior quality.

I just don't feel like it's worth it to spend $125 on this. I might spend $90 or $100, but not $125 especially when it's so lacking in extras. It's hard telling if it's ABKCO who doesn't want to put out a bunch of unreleased material or if it's the band holding it up. It's too bad they can't make these worthwhile like Sticky Fingers and Exile.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  9. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

Because it was re-mastered this year by Bob Ludwig. It has been 17 years. I'm not commenting on the sound quality of either re-issue, just that it has been re-mastered again. Here is what Bob Ludwig said about his new version:

“When we did the first Let It Bleed remaster in 2002, our intention was to pay homage to the original work,” said Ludwig, who is no stranger to the Stones catalog, having mastered or remastered many of their classic albums over the past four decades. “When we did this new version, the purpose was to make it as great as it could possibly sound. If you listen on a good set of speakers or good headphones, you’ll hear subtle things in the background that are now much more clear that were somewhat hidden before.”

Mosthaf, shadlet and Carl80 like this.
  10. Time Is On My Side

[​IMG]

11. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

btltez likes this.
  12. In regards to ‘restored art’, what label variation are they using? Sleeve variation? Inner sleeve variation? I’m sure they’re not even paying attention to this level of detail, but if they themselves are bringing up restored art, they should be.

Variations outlined here:

https://www.stonesondecca.com/the-60s-decca/let-it-bleed/

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    vcpj likes this.
  13. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

AFAIK the original poster has not been reproduced in decades -- certainly not in any of the reissues you cite. Doubt those included purple inner sleeve either.

Mosthaf likes this.
  14. The mono LP set from a couple years ago included the correct red inner sleeve.

Time Is On My Side and btltez like this.
  15. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

I don't get the hate for Country Honk. Mick and Keith were staying at a ranch and discovered old Hank Williams and country blues stuff and wrote the song. Keith's guitar tones on the record are incredible. I suppose if one hates country music fair enough. But I submit listening to the real country music, like Han
    just blasted it through my system via Tidal and it sounded great to me.

16. Time Is On My Side

Anyone had a chance to compare Monkey Man - Remastered 2019 to the 2002 remaster or original ABKCO/London discs? I'm curious to know what, if any, differences people find.

17. vcpj

vcpj Gomper

Was red EU? In US it was purple.

18. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Here:

Time Is On My Side likes this.
  19. Yeah, in the UK red sleeves for the mono, blue inner sleeves for the stereo. That way, you could verify the contents looking through the cutout hole in the jacket.

Carl80 and vcpj like this.
  20. MerseyBeatle

MerseyBeatle Martha my dear (1995-2012)

Thought I’d share this here. Obviously it won’t be in the upcoming anniversary box, but here is a picture of the fan club flyer that came in my original US stereo copy with purple inner sleeve with lyrics, the poster, and a sticker on the front cover touting the enclosed poster.

[​IMG]
    “Are you a member of The Rolling Stones fan club?”

Carl80, The Ole' Rocker, 905 and 7 others like this.
  21. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

I'm hoping Lukpac will have some information on this, once the set has been released. Always informative: http://www.lukpac.org/stereostones/stones-cd-faq.txt

X
    Which is the core question raised in regard to every box set discussed here on the Forum. It's interesting to watch. Some will remain adamant that it's not worth it. As the release date becomes imminent or if the set is limited, some will turn around and pick up the set they've sworn is not worth it, for weeks before. Just interesting to watch the opinions flow.

btltez and All Down The Line like this.
  22. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes and funny how people are still surprised upon each release that: "Abkco have not issued studio outtakes this time around!"

btltez and Exile On My Street like this.
  23. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I’m going to pass on this.

Revolver likes this.
  24. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

He has to pay the bills too, just like the rest of us.

btltez likes this.
  25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Yes sir, it's his job.

Tommyboy likes this.