Let's talk New Production Tubes (non-NOS) --- 12AX7

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TheVinylAddict, Jul 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Has anyone tried the JJ ECC803S Gold Pin tubes? I’m curious how they compare to standard JJ ECC83S tubes.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  2. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

I find JJ Electronic to be off the charts for VFM..... l have tried both the valves you mention...... both sound superb, however the ECC803S was a step up over the JJ ECC83S, sounding even more musical and refined.... liked them more than the Gold Lion 12AX7......and they are relatively inexpensive so you can try out.

Good luck.:)

hifi59 likes this.
  3. Erocka2000

Did you try the regular 803S or the gold pin version?

4. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

It's interesting to read a post you started a couple years back, and realize how you made a u-turn in your upgrade path / plans!

When I penned this post, I was starting to dip my toe back into assembling tube gear as my primary chain, and the phono preamp was the Tavish Adagio. I was also eyeing up Conrad Johnson tube pre's, maybe Primaluna.......

..... but since, no longer own the Tavish, and shifted back into SS for my amps, preamps, etc.

That being said I still own one "hybrid" phono preamp, it takes 6922 and its variants --- I ended up buying the Genalex Gold Lions (gold pin) and have been happy with that. I compared it to JJ's and a NOS set I had....... like the Gold Lions better.

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

reading a lot of good stuff about those. Might be my first tweak with the new pre amp or power (?).

6. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found Thread Starter

Good price to value IMHO..... but you'll most likely find different opinions, some will offer new tubes that might be "better"

One thing I liked - they're relatively inexpensive, good availability :) --- I didn't have to play the "used" NOS game and hope I got a "good one!"

7. Andy Saunders

The latter and l found it good- very good.:edthumbs:

Was going to go for the vanilla version but told by the vendor ( whom l trust) the Gold pin was a better valve and like l said before they are not expensive, so worth a try- l found them well balanced with great bass.:)

NB; This is all in my room and system.

labreahouse and Erocka2000 like this.
  8. hifi59

hifi59 Active Member

I have both in a professionally calibrated audio system. Tubes are used in a Pro- ject Tube Box DS2 phono pre.
    The jj803s gold pins are very similar to the 83s, but the high end of the 803s are more refined and slightly less congested.
    Tried the Gold Lion gold pins. They are good in all areas except for vocals, IMO. Vocals were more recessed and diffuse as compared to the JJs. Mullards from upscale audio were excellent tubes and quite similar to the Jj803s. Overall though, I preferred a matched set of Tung-sol gold pins.
    I have these with Cryo and non Cryo matched versions. The non Cryo versions are better in the bass department. It’s more resolving. They also have the fullest midrange of all the mentioned tubes, but the others were really good with midrange body, except for the Gold lions.

9. Andy Saunders

Any members tried the JJ Electronic E83CC ( frame grid ) at all?

10. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

I have the JJ Electronic ECC83S as stock in my Croft amps.

11. Andy Saunders

I have those in my phono amp - was enquiring about the JJ Electronic E83CC Frame grid. :)

12. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

I'm a bit of a tube noob. Only have my Crofts for 2,5 month. I'm thinking about getting the Genelax Gold Lions to try out and maybe the Harma Retro for my phono stage.

13. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

What do people think about the sound of Groove Tubes 12ax7-M selection?

14. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

Gold pin JJs are sonically very similar to regular JJs. In my experience they're quieter and a little bit better of a performer all around. I wouldn't say the difference is dramatic but it is obvious. I moved from a JJ gold pin to a Gold Lion 12au7 in my Rogue Cronus Magnum and it was a very dramatic difference.

If you're going with JJ, I would stick with the Gold pin.

15. They are the most decent sounding 12AX7's along the TJ Full Music I have tried. I own both of them, broke them in and then I got some inexpensive NOS Matsushita 12AX7 and 12AU7 and these outperform both the Gold Lions and Full Music.

Ghostworld and RemyM like this.
  16. RemyM

RemyM Forum Resident

In what way did the Matsushita outperform the Gold Lions and Full Music?

aorecords likes this.
  17. labreahouse

labreahouse Forum Resident

I just bought one based on the recommendation for Eurotubes. Sounds like a great tube, I'll report back once I get and burn it in.

Andy Saunders and SandAndGlass like this.
  18. Andy Saunders

Please do Sir.:)

19. labreahouse

labreahouse Forum Resident

I emailed my local JJ distributor about the differences between the gold pin ECC803S and the gold pin ECC83S and they actually recommended JJ’s new E83CC for what I was looking for in sound characteristics. They said uses the same short plate structure as the ECC83S but it’s built with a frame grid. Compared to the stock ECC83S, which I thought was a fine tube, "This provides a similarly even handed sound but with more detail from top to bottom. This may provide the warmth you like from the ECC83S while retaining a bit more detail/nuance."

After a week of dedicated listening, I'd agree with that description. Definitely an overall warmer and pronounced sound, soundstage not as open and airy as the Brimar, more linear for sure, but a great combo with the NOS Telefunken in my phono stage. A more linear, natural sound that just works better with my speakers. For $25, I'd absolutely recommend this tube. Very helpful customer service for such a low cost item as well, plenty of good info on their products too. I'll likely sell my Brimar, it's a rare and fantastic tube, and deserves a good home. It will work well in someone else's system for sure.

20. Andy Saunders

@labreahouse Does indeed sound that JJ have hit the Bullseye with this one.:)

labreahouse likes this.
  21. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

Try the Primaluna tubes. I swapped the ones that came with my pre- amp and used them on my power amp and have been pleased with how they sound. They're Chinese but sorted.

22. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

As you know, I put the E83CC in my SV237 MK and it has never sounded better. Anybody needing a 12AX7 needs to grab these ASAP.

23. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I was down this road a longer time ago then the poster reviving it. None of current production tubes mentioned here - according to the volumes I read -can match NOS tubes

Kiko1974 likes this.
  24. Erocka2000

Honestly, it depends on the amp. In my experience, most current production tube amplifiers sound better with current production tubes, because that is how they were voiced. This is not absolute, as there are certain exceptions. But most of the new stuff just works better together.

25. Me too. I got golden pins Gold Lion 12AX7, not bad, matched and in box PSvane 12AX7,not bad either. I then got NOS and NIB Matsushita 12AX7 which are clones of 1960's Mullards (they used Mullard design, were made on Mullard tooling and even Mullard's engineer helped Matsushita to put their factory together and trained Matsushita engineeer on how to make tubes) and they literally trounce both Gold Lions and PSvane and I got them for a fraction of the price of both new production tubes.
    I also own some Hitachi tubes that I prefer either the Gold Lion and PSvane.
    And these are just a couple of examples.
    I also like Ei ECC83/12AX7 which are clones of smooth plates Telefunkens.

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.