Let’s talk Nirvana U.K.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RedRoseSpeedway, Apr 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover Thread Starter

Just listened to Orange and Blue. I think my favorite song on it is “Lost in Space”. It sounds a bit like “Baby Bunting”!

[​IMG]

2. RedRoseSpeedway

Another picture of the photoshoot with the band members listed. I was wrong! Patrick is the one in the glasses. My mistake.

[​IMG]

fiscus1, bekayne and alexpop like this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Mistake ? No biggie..happens.

4. alexpop

Top 3 Nirvana songs?

Rainbow Chaser
    Tiny Goddess
    June

5. RedRoseSpeedway

Tiny Goddess
    Rainbow Chaser
    Courtyard Of The Stars

So hard to choose! I’ll go with those 3

6. alexpop

Similar top two. :)

RedRoseSpeedway likes this.
  7. RedRoseSpeedway

Nirvana show at Felipop in 2004. Alex did not play due to health issues. Patrick on vocals. Here’s an article about the show translated from Spanish to English:

“In those times when the 18 Rhodes was still a written publication, our editor, Nico Estrume, contacted Patrick Campbell Lyons for an article he was making about the British Nirvana. Patrick turned out to be a lovely guy so after a few years and taking advantage of that relationship we talked with him again about the possibility of reuniting Nirvana again to have played in Limodre in Felipop 2004. As we used to do in those years we resorted to our dear and always willing Bronco Bullfrog to see if they wanted to be the backing band of the project, well, Mike did not like the idea in excess and said no. After a couple of trials in London in which the other original member of the Alex Spyropoulos group could not participate due to physical problems, they were presented in Limodre with a training that included the Andy Morten and Louie Wiggett bronchitis on bass, Patrick Campbell on vocals, a guitarist filigree named Keith Smart, habitual partner of Lyons in recent years, his wife Francine making choruses and another girl to the keyboards of which I can not remember the name.

The a priori concert was at risk of becoming something really behind, but it was not the case, and some of the issues were really good and a good part of the audience made the choirs rigorously in the refrains including a surprised Magín Blanco, although it was never given to him can make a lot of cases to the roars. Patrick also thinks it's been a bit too much because he decided to extend his stay a couple of days longer and, despite his age, he held up as a titan, the legend says he was able to knock down the then night-time hero, Kabaloff, who asked eight times at eight clemency Also memorable was Sunday night at Ardá house with Patrick telling us the show they had shared with Dalí on French television and where the members of the group finished all painted, where will I have that shirt? said Patrick. Also that night and already a little footwear he decided to take the guitar to play a couple of traditional Irish themes, it was terrible, it is enough to say that he had been playing a guitar for forty years. Finally ... several anecdotes, there is more but one must be educated, which would be of us without all the conachades that surround the world of the show.”

SETLIST:

01-I BELIEVE IN MAGIC (5:35)
    02-ORANGE AND BLUE (4:09)
    03-RAINBOW CHASER (2:57)
    04-DARLING DARLENE (2:46)
    05-PENTECOST HOTEL (4:22)
    06-MELANIE BLUE (3:02)
    07-WINGS OF LOVE (3:36)
    08-SATELITE JOCKEY (3:32)
    09-ALL OF US (3:58)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  8. RedRoseSpeedway

Is there any information on the 1985 reunion? I can’t find one bit of information on it other than multiple sources saying there was a tour in 85.

9. RedRoseSpeedway

Yep! Great songs

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Nirvana-Love Is - 1978 video for the US market Eddie Howell ( friend of Freddy Mercury)vocals. Height of punk era - music out of time.

11. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I think you mean apologies to me. Let's see if your friend has the courtesy to do likewise. Better next time check your facts before insulting people.

Orangefield, christian42 and Troy4 like this.
  12. alexpop

Well if you are mister knowledgeable mentioned in Nirvana liner notes, you shouldn’t bait people. Help the thread by photos naming the band members properly, not by others doing the donkey work for you, eventually.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  13. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

I corrected one misconception - you call that "baiting people". I didn't need to do any "donkey work", I was stating a fact. Originally I though I'd contribute to this thread for some intelligent conversation about a band I've followed for over 50 years. Then I came up against you and your mate - next time I'll pass. (one other thing, you'll remember I gave you a link to a captioned photo which you chose to ignore).

14. RedRoseSpeedway

Alex was not involved was he? Sometimes I have a hard time invlolving music with Patrick but not Alex “Nirvana” haha

15. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Next time I feel like having a laugh, I'll re read your earlier posts - then again maybe not.

Orangefield, christian42 and Troy4 like this.
  16. RedRoseSpeedway

17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I had no idea they did so many albums. The only songs I know are "Wings of Love", which I think was a minor hit, and "Rainbow Chaser". I wouldn't say I love those songs, but they are both kind of interesting.

18. RedRoseSpeedway

The original 3 albums are definitely worth checking out.

Check out my favorite song, “Tiny Goddess” from the second album

And try this song from the third album!

Nirvana (UK) - The World Is Cold Without You (1970)

19. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I just read this on Wikipedia:
    That album would have been hilarious to hear.

20. RedRoseSpeedway

It’s a funny concept, but I’m glad they didn’t. It would seem undignified in my opinion, as I heard that although they took a payout to let the US band have use of their name, they still weren’t happy that they claimed their name.

21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

I like that better than either of the two songs I mentioned. I think I prefer them singing a slower tempo rather than when they jazz it up. That song sounds like something ELO might have done, circa El Dorado.

That song, and the other one to which you posted a link, sound very much of their time - not in a bad way, just saying. They may have had only minor success at the time, but if those songs were released today I think their success would be zero. That kind of neo-classical sound, with the strings, is totally out of synch with today's music trends, whether you are talking about pop, rock, or progressive music. Not that being in fashion has anything to do with quality of course.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  22. RedRoseSpeedway

I was just thinking that the other day. The musical landscape has changed so much since the 60’s, it’s really quite incredible how different the things being released today sound.

23. bekayne

bekayne Senior Member

Thing is, that claim rests entirely on the liner notes.

24. RedRoseSpeedway

I can’t think of an earlier one! Pet Sounds has been called a concept album but not in the way that Simon Simopath or Tommy is. I don’t think it counts. What do you think? It came Days Of Future Passed, S.F. Sorrow, Tommy, etc... I’m thinking more “story based” concept albums and not just having a theme to the album like Pet Sounds.

25. RedRoseSpeedway

Just listened to Patrick’s album “Me and My Friend” (1973). It was pretty good

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.