Level matching/normalizing using RecordNow software

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by indy mike, Jul 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest Thread Starter

I've tried my hand at some simple dubs of discs using RecordNow software - nice and easy/point and clicking. I then tried making a compilation disc - easy to asemble (much easier than the Nero software on my old computer). However, there's noticeable level differences on my latest RecordNow attempt. I can't figure out how to change the settings to normalize the levels, and my plea for help at Sonic Solutions several days ago has gone unanswered. Anybody familiar with RecordNow software that can help me out?????

2. indy mike

Oh yeah - it's version 6.5.1

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

My guess is that no one here either uses the program, or doesn't use it for normalizing.

Personally, I use Adobe Audition for the task. Works like a charm!

4. indy mike

Perhaps the version I got bundled with my HP was a stripped down model....

5. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

I don't use this to record CD-Rs, but I did just use it for the first time yesterday to record a few data DVD+Rs. Not sure if this software is capable of normalizing or not. Actually, what you are trying to do I don't think is referred to as "normalizing." I think that is what brings all the peaks to zero (or whatever level you choose) and has nothing to do with "perceived loudness."

I have used this software called Volume Balancer. Maybe you should check it out. I think this is what you are trying to do. Advance warning, it doesn't work in anything but 16-bit.

I always do these things outside of the CD burning software and then bring the tracks in. I accomplish this now with Cool Edit Pro in 32-Bit format.

6. Grant

There are two types of normalizing.

Type I-simply raises the PEAKS to either 100% 0 FS digital, or some other specified value. One cannot get all tracks the same volume using this common method. It is frowned on by the pros because it increases the wordlength and forces truncation if used on 16-bit files. It can be safely used in 24-bit.

Type II-RMS: The way to adjust a group of files to the same volume level is to RMS (root mean square) normalize. This sets the the songs' RMS to a common or equal loudness, and is very useful. Some DAW programs are better at this than others. Many programs use an equal loudness contour that takes the way the human ear reacts to loudness into account when calculating. This method keeps dynamic or soft songs from sounding as loud as loud, compressed ones, while still maintaing the equal loudness of the two. This is the way to do it automatically. Some guys, particularly ones who prefer working in analog, prefer to do this all by ear, which is fine too. Your call. And, again, it is always better to do any RMS normalization in 24-bit because doing it in 16-bit causes forced truncation of the wordlength that degrades the sound.

If one does this by ear in a DAW, which I do on occasion, it's still best to do it in 32-bit. If you change gain, it's still calculation and increasesthe wordlength. So, don't think that normalizing by ear in a DAW is any better.

As you do, I usually do this in 32-bit and convert to 16-bit afterward in Audition 1.5. But, I also do it to 16-bit files when making a compilation. I never normalize in a CD burning program on the fly. The reason I can get away with normalizing in 16-bit is if the program uses 32-bit processing, which all quality ones do. This way, at least dither is used.

The reason for the warning about normalizing in a 16-bit only program is because that program may not use 32-bit processing, which means no dithering. I seriously doubt that RecordNow uses 32-bit processing! There are many de-clickers on the market that only work in 16-bit. I will not bother with them because they do not use 32-bit processing.

7. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member

Yeah, that's what I meant....

8. Cyaneyes

Cyaneyes Forum Resident

This is how the ReplayGain system works. (http://www.replaygain.org/)

The WaveGain frontend uses ReplayGain and can be used to adjust wave files to equal apparent loudness. Radio (or track) gain modifies individual tracks to the reference loudness, while Album gain modifies groups of tracks to the reference, keeping level differences between tracks intact.

9. Dob

Dob New Member

I don't think it is...it's not mentioned as a feature, whereas for Recordnow Max it is mentioned. Probably part of the "max" upgrade only.

10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I have never been able to understand how the computer seems to have made compilation making so complex (and dicey).

With a tape deck, it was so easy; judicious use of the input level knob, and a decent ear sufficed.

Punchline : On computers, why do they call it software anyway, when it's so hard to use?

11. indy mike

I sprang for the deluxe version, and by cracky I can normalize the volume between tracks (and even determine how close I come to the loudest moments on the disc)...

12. Grant

I guess i'm more comfortable with computers than some people. I have no problem understanding this audio stuff on a computer. It's fun.

Making comps on a computer is a snap! It is easier than tape ever was! All you do is rip and save some CD tracks onto the hard drive. Go through each file and make sure it's what you want it to sound like, and if it isn't, you do what you have to do. Get them all the same level, put the tracks in order, and burn your CD. Easy!

13. Making a CD on a computer can be as easy, or complex, as you want it to be. I haven't used a tape deck for a comp since I got my first CD writer in '98! Not only do I enjoy making CD comps far more than using tape (of any kind), the end result is a darn sight easier to look after, and play back properly. Any glitches on my discs have been down to user error :D.

Indy Mike's opening post is asking for help on something that a tape deck can't do.

14. John B Good

My tape deck never told me "Nero has caused a General Protection Fault" and a half dozen or so similar crashes in a couple of years burning CD-rs. :(

For the last year or so, the next version of Nero I got does have something to permit the equalizing of audio levels between tracks. Before that I had to select only tracks from cds that were of a similar volume level for my comps.

Of course I have a few cassettes that aren't even much good as coasters :)

15. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

For what it's worth, EAC has a normalization feature that I used over the weekend to boost the overall volume on a Prince bootleg I converted from vinyl to CDR, and I was pleased with those results.

16. Grant

GPFs are usually the cause of software driver issues. Also, you must not be using Windows 2000 or XP.

17. John B Good

You're right about the OS point, Grant. I'm thinking of upgrading, but my learning curve these days is almost perpendicular :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.