Life on Mars TV series: UK or US version?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by LilacTeardrop, May 1, 2019.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Misfits ?

2. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here" Thread Starter

Thanks...just watched trailer -
    seems there's a number of takes on this premise;
    Travelers
    The Umbrella Academy

Still enjoying Travelers...alternating that w/Life on Mars (not viewing much regular programming!..at least, not until Season 2: Big Little Lies! :))
    Misfits trailer:

3. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Liked them both but the cancellation of the US version and the fer cr@p ending gives the Brits the edge on this one (unlike The Office). Loved Gretchen Mol's character

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  4. alexpop

5. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

the uk version of course and its sequel Ashes to Ashes ! great shows !

6. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

Thanks, I didn’t realize there was a US version. The U.K. version was lots of fun. Wasn’t there a spin-off? (Just read that there was). Regarding the music, I thought they did a good job incorporating it into the show.

Side note: there is a U.K. prequel show called Tennison that is based off the old Hellen Mirren show called Prime Suspect (not to be confused with the good-but-short-lived-US show called Prime Suspect). Tennison uses period music well also, but the cool tunes kinda dried up towards the end of the first season.

7. alexpop

Period music?

Ashes To Ashes .,

Enjoy!!!

8. LilacTeardrop

Not Lost; but thanks! :tiphat: though I did get Invasion series (originally aired after Lost).
    I found it, though... The one that's similar to the new Kate Beckinsdale show "The Widow" is Keeping Faith & that is NTSC. Tried to determine if player is multi-format; called company & the manual doesn't stipulate which format code(s) it plays...what a great manual!! :rolleyes:
    I'll hold out a bit longer to see if I can acquire LOM Series 2 on NTSC, since it was released on both formats. Have inquiry out on classifieds forum here, since Barnes & Noble's is Used only in Acceptable condition & it's pricey for that rating.

9. alexpop

No oxfam/ used dvd shops in your town ?

10. LilacTeardrop

Found LOM (UK) Season 2 & believe it is NTSC format version. Seller couldn't confirm; in warehouse, but less $ pricey than Barnes & Noble
    & better condition than that one. No haggle returns if it's not.
    Keeping fingers crossed!! :righton:

11. LilacTeardrop

Season 2 LOM UK playing great. Received NTSC format DVD! Pricey$ (but less than on Barnes & Noble); like new condition. I missed it during lapse while waiting & viewing Humans, alternating w/The Fall & Travelers. Taking my time viewing, b/c it's so great, I want it to last!! It's opened w/a punch!!! You just know you're in for yet another great ride!! It's been awhile loved a show so much! :love: This show makes me LOL & clap, like for big summer movie action/blockbusters in theater. John Simm & Philip Glenister are so fantastic...I ordered Prey!! Whoever did the casting on LOM should've gotten accolades for this pairing, too.
    I'm finding U.S. series, cable or network, so watery in comparison, now! :sigh:

Re: above/w...the dark, edginess aspect in UK vs. U.S. - from what I've viewed so far, that's w/all programming. Though I don't find LOM dark; it's so snappily combined w/humor. The Fall=yes & Luther...def. yes & very graphic! :yikes: I sure hope the U.S. never does a version of Luther! (Season 5 just began on BBC America. Haven't viewed 1st episode yet.)

I think the actors' themselves bring a lot to it. If there is as much plastic surgery in the U.K. as U.S., it's not as apparent, which makes everything look more authentic, IMO. Canadian series are good in that respect, too!

Life on Mars = class of its' own, b/c there's the crime drama, but it's also so cleverly witty! Dialogue is crisp, w/out being rushed. I think the Brits. just have that sarcasm that works so well-funny w/o sounding snarky/ vicious. And, the soundtrack's tops! The use of music throughout series is really very well-done, w/matching in car chase scenes, as well!

I just looked up to see about awards & saw that it's David E. Kelley who did the U.S. version. That's funny, b/c while viewing I'd thought, the U.S. just hasn't had such engaging shows since David E. Kelley...who has always combined humor w/drama & also, great use of music.

Ohmygosh...when I thought of David E. Kelley & his great series' network television, I thought of other great, Steven Bochco & went to see what's he's been up to lately. So shocked; I hadn't realized he passed away last year. R.I.P. :sigh::cry::angel:

Beyond Salvation and alexpop like this.
  12. alexpop

There’s 2 individual Prey blu rays ( 2 stories) first one ( better) stars John Simms, the other stars Philip Glenister..both great though. Don’t forget Glenister is in Ashes To Ashes( a continuity to LOM, featuring the same cast minus John Simms).

13. alexpop

Spaced
    Mighty Boosh

????

14. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Funny, I always thought of David E. Kelley as "the Dick Wolf of more-aspirational series TV" (that is, before they cancel you, instead of spinning off the show, spin off the gimmicks into another show...then load 'em up on the schedule so they can't afford to lose you; you can always make more shows, but why make different ones, once you've got the network sold on the same one...)

15. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

I've got lots of PAL format DVDs and I've never seen (well, never noticed) a blue circle. I did check a few, to be sure.

A lot of DVD players ended up being able to convert PAL DVDs, especially cheaper players.

On a somewhat related note, I've found some region free Blu-ray discs that have some PAL content in the extras, and my PS3 refuses to play them. I.e. not just the PAL content, but any of the disc.

16. alexpop

Forget to mention The Lakes (1997-1999) got a great soundtrack.

17. LilacTeardrop

This John Simm is outstanding actor!! :thumbsup: Well, I'm still viewing Life on Mars...have 2 episodes left of Season 2; the last ones. And, have Prey lined up. I just can't view too much of the heavy, dark stuff w/out coming up for air! I'd alternated LOM w/The Fall (excellent!) & Humans. Currently 3/4's way through Season 2 of Humans. That's when I'll intersperse w/lighter fare, i.e. In Plain Sight, Friends From College, Fairly Legal. I've deliberately been taking my time viewing it, as I don't want it over! :winkgrin:

The Lakes looks terrific, too! Looks like DVD availability is scarce, but a worthwhile hunt.
    Did ya, by any chance, see Top Of The Lake? That came up on my search, as well & also looks riveting w/terrific cast!

AndrewS and alexpop like this.
  18. alexpop

The Lakes.
    The theme music is Bowie’s Heroes.but it’s got wall to wall period Brit Pop. Guess something for you to look forward to.

19. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

The UK soundtrack is great, on the soundtrack CD there is a clip of Gene saying 'Nobody Move! You're surrounded by armed Bast***s!' then cutting straight to the sirens at the start of The Sweet's Blockbuster.

20. LilacTeardrop

Ta - Da! I viewed the last 2 episodes LOM Series 2. Really exercised discipline to view no more than 2 episodes @ a time, in order to extend this show, since it is So Superlative!

I can actually use the adjective (what I perceive as overused term...b/c if everything's "brilliant" where do you go from there? :winkgrin:) - It applies here for the entire series & how it wrapped = Brilliant!!!! :D:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

~ No spoils for anyone who may happen upon this thread who hasn't viewed the show...yet! ~

Absolutely one of the best shows ever made. :righton: Having everything: crime drama, procedural, comedy, time-travel, action, romance & killer soundtrack! While still maintaining cohension & flow throughout. A very unique, remarkable spin on a time-travel concept with highly creative, talented writers & outstanding cast with wonderful chemistry. I probably haven't laughed this much since first viewings of Seinfeld & Everybody Loves Raymond. Definitely never shouted so much & clapped @ a tv show...maybe episodes here & there...not as consistently as this.

Thanks members' here for sharing thoughts! :tiphat:

Beyond Salvation and MoonPool like this.
  21. alexpop

Watched Mad Dogs a couple of times now the UK version begs repeat viewings. David Warner eating ice cream. :)

Game Of Thrones prequel off to a good start with John Simm involved.

22. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

Now you need to start in on Ashes to Ashes. It's the best possible follow up.

Beyond Salvation likes this.
  23. alexpop

Gene Hunt’s show.

MoonPool likes this.
  24. alexpop

The Lakes is a lot darker ( as it progresses).

Etienne Hanratty likes this.
  25. LilacTeardrop

I've viewed on DVD format - Life on Mars is avail. NTSC &/or Region 1 or Universal. Not so, Ashes To Ashes...

I went to Wikipedia to double-check that, re: DVDs..ended up reading "ending", which I shouldn't have; wouldn't normally; wasn't paying close enough attention to what I was doing - Unfortunately, it also pertains to both series. I didn't have that takeaway from LOM ending. Should've payed closer attention to what I was reading. :sigh: (Putting out of my head as best I can, so the LOM viewing experience remains as fresh as possible & hasn't been ruined for me, after reading that.)

Have Prey lined up. The Lakes also N/A U.S. machine playable.

Anyone else think John Simm is a good-looking version of Thom Yorke (Radiohead), crossed w/U.S. comedian/actor Dave Foley?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019