Linda Ronstadt album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mdekoning, Mar 14, 2019.

1. heartbreaker

heartbreaker Prisoner in Disguise

I was going to list my top 10 albums, but that would exclude too many. Those that I have played the most, so far are a mixture of originals and compilations;

What's New?
    Lush Life
    For Sentimental Reasons
    Hand Sewn+ Silk Purse (BGO & Raven)
    Heart Like A Wheel (AF)
    Hasten Down The Wind (Asylum)
    Get Closer
    Prisoner in Disguise
    Just One Look Compilation
    Duets compilation
    Simple Dreams
    Merry Christmas

Sound of My Voice DVD
    What's New? concert DVD
    Canciones live DVD
    Atlanta 1977 concert DVD

Much more Linda to love yet.

RSteven and mcd4959 like this.
  2. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

I remember her on the radio and hearing the hits. I thought she was ok. Picked up Heart Like A Wheel and it made me realize what an incredibly talented singer she was. I know health issues have been hard on her. I hope she was able to put enough money away so that she can live her a comfortable life.

bluemooze and heartbreaker like this.
  3. mcd4959

mcd4959 Head in the Clouds

Her health is a tragedy, really, in the sense that her gift has been silenced. It must be so hard for her to not sing anymore. I understand that her type of Parkinson's is quite painful sometimes as well, which just hurts my heart to hear. I really hope she isn't suffering. She's given us so much, she deserves a good life.

As for her finances, I think she'll be OK :p

[​IMG]

4. mcd4959

Not that you need another one to listen to, but I highly recommend the Starbucks Opus Collection if you can find it. It was sold in their stores several years ago when they were selling CDs. It's another eclectic mix of her songs, some hits, some deep tracks...and it works, and to my old ears sounds really great. It can be hard to find, and prices range from cheap to outrageous, so select wisely.

[​IMG]

5. heartbreaker

6. Not to be argumentative, but you do know to take stuff like that from the internet with a pinch of salt, right?

mcd4959, bluemooze and David G. like this.
  7. heartbreaker

I'll see if I can find one, can always do with more Linda, and a nice cover photo.

Here is a song, a strange song, from "A Retrospective" LP, not curresntly on any CD I know.

"A Retrospective" was released shortly after GH1, presumably to capitalise on GH1's popularity.
    Hobo, Some of Shelley's Blues, Louise, Just A Little Bit of Rain, Ramblin' Round, either entirely or those versions have not been on other releases AFAIK.

8. heartbreaker

Box Set.

According to this post Linda Ronstadt Box Set some tracks were re-mastered for Box Set.

I wonder how many re-masterings some songs & albums have over the years!

"There were so many versions, he couldn't find the one that was his friend".

mcd4959 likes this.
  9. heartbreaker

Poor Linda is 75 this year. She has Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, rediagnosed after TSOMV was released. Let her be.

mcd4959 likes this.
  10. I meant with regard to her supposed wealth. I've seen many artists laugh at or dispute the claims put on the net or Wikipedia about their supposed net worth.

As for Linda's health, it is awful and tragic. I remember how devastated I was when I learned of her condition.
    I wish her only the very best and pray she feels good, at peace and without pain each day.

mcd4959 and heartbreaker like this.
  11. mcd4959

Oh yeah, boulders of salt , believe me. ;) Internet is great and ridiculous too.

I just posted that to show that Linda is almost assuredly a very wealthy person. She seems very intelligent so I would presume she has good control over her finances.

I think we're all posting here because we have a respect and love for dear Linda, and only wish her the best. It just breaks my heart that she can't sing anymore. But she's got a great attitude about it all it appears, yet another thing to admire about her.

Scatterling of Africa likes this.
  12. mcd4959

You don't see too many pics of Linda playing an instrument, but it shows another side of her talent. Maybe these just stand out to me because in all the times I've seen her live, I never got to see her play guitar. ANyway, gives me an excuse to post some more pics of lovely Linda.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. heartbreaker

14. heartbreaker

15. heartbreaker

"Duets" has a previously unreleased track, its "Pretty Bird" sung with Laurie Lewis.

16. mcd4959

These two women singing together is pure heaven. Emmylou has such a distinctive voice - I just finished listening to the new red vinyl version of "Red Dirt Girl" - loved it, dead quiet. Her voice with Linda's powerful vocals just mesh perfectly.

Western Wall is the one album they did together and it's one of my favorites.

heartbreaker likes this.
  17. heartbreaker

18. heartbreaker

Listened to HDTW from the 5 album set. Like all quite bass-heavy, but better for low volume than the AAD original CD. MFSL still on its way to me.
    HDTW is almost 1st= with HLAW as my favourite. SD & HSHG close 3rd & 4th. Then PID 5th. Those 5 so far ranked..
    Some of the best tracks are often not singles releases, but more artist-indulgent.

Armjim and RSteven like this.
  19. mcd4959

MFSL version of HDTW - both the vinyl & CD - are very good. The SHM-CD is also quite good. I can't say for sure if I have a clear "winner" in the available versions, but I typically reach for the MFSL CD version for listening.

Albums like HDTW lack a little high end for me, no matter what the version is, but that could just be my ears. I've lost a little high frequency hearing and have some tinnitus so I am reluctant to give sound advice anymore. Certain sounds - often high pitched audio - sound awful to me, so I prefer a "warm" mellower sound, with some good deep bass. The MFSL version has this. I think you'll like it.

heartbreaker and RSteven like this.
  20. heartbreaker

BITUSA, curious mixture. Smokey Robinson's "Ooh...Baby Baby" is by far the best with such a poignant emphasis , though I like the sweet "When I Grow Too Old To Dream", and "Love Me Tender" is sung very...tenderly, beautiful.

LP has a great centrefold photo.

RSteven likes this.
  21. heartbreaker

"Dreams to Dream" track can be found on the Disney CD "Music from the Park". Yet to find "Some Day My Prince Will Come" on any album. It was sung by Linda in Disney's Snow White 50th anniversary special.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

I remember some top 40 radio station DJ in Southern California doing an unofficial mix of a duet version with Elvis and Linda on Love Me Tender. It got a fair bit of airplay at the time. It actually sounded pretty cool as I recall, but then again, I am a huge fan of both of those artists. The radio station was 102.7 KIIS FM. With a little effort, you can actually find their duet version that the station mixed together. I'm not too sure their respective record labels were thrilled about the whole thing, Lol.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  23. heartbreaker

I prefer warm versions, but always like mellow, provided its clear & not muffled sounding. Saxophone is always a good test for my tolerance. Some of Linda's tracks have it just right, others too much, in others the sax is just the wrong instrument.

mcd4959 and RSteven like this.
  24. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

I remember hearing that too when I was living in the DC area in 78 or 79. I am trying to recall what station; most likely a Top 40 station such as WPGC or WASH because the album stations at the time would not have played such a thing and the format was quickly changing.

heartbreaker and RSteven like this.
  25. Armjim

Armjim Music is indeed a gift from Heaven

To me Linda's best performances were always the album tracks; with few exceptions her hit singles were seldom the best tracks from the albums. Hasten Down the Wind is a prime example. Down So Low and Try Me Again were sublime vocal performances that delineated her artistry in my mind.

Hep Alien, heartbreaker and mcd4959 like this.