Lindsey Buckingham - Solo Anthology: The Best of Lindsey Buckingham (3 CD set) and 2018 tour dates

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WalkAThinLine, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Speaking of Christine's vocals on Lindsey's songs on Buckingham/McVie, I hadn't seen this before:

During the verses, she's singing something like unisons with him - super hard to hear in the mix - but she's there.

Although things change in rehearsal for live shows - it does make me wonder if these were similar to the parts she did on Lindsey's studio tracks, and why it seems like she's not even present on the tracks.

Anyway - just a thought I was having. Back to the Anthology discussions.

Cheers,
    Paul

Hep Alien likes this.
  2. team2

team2 Forum Resident

I got to meet him after his show in Knoxville in 2007 and, by coincidence, had him sign my 45 single sleeve for "Go Insane." He was hanging out in the lobby of the hotel where he was staying, and took several minutes to speak with each person who waited for him. Overall, a great experience.

3. Erick Haight

Erick Haight We all float down here

Pretty much like Say You Will, which made the lack of the Fleetwood Mac name on Buckingham McVie all the more petty. If 4/5ths of current-era FM is on a record, it's a damn FM record, whether Nicks rattles chicken bones over a microphone or not.

Rigsby, DRJOEL65, theMess and 7 others like this.
  4. team2

team2 Forum Resident

Agreed. Say You Will and Buckingham/McVie are equally Fleetwood Mac albums IMO.

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Although on Say You Will, Lindsey overdubbed Stevie’s voice on many of his songs, something he hadn’t done since Rumours.

Erick Haight likes this.
  6. Why did he have to do that?

7. Squealy

I don’t understand the question...

Bananas&blow and D.B. like this.
  8. The problem with "Say You Will" (apart from Christine being absent) is that it was too long, and I felt that a few tracks were filler tracks.

18 tracks is far too many tracks for one album, unless the artist has all decent material.

"Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie" on the other hand had just 10 tracks on it, and none of them were filler tracks from beginning to end (in my opinion).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that quality is better than quantity.

On a separate note, I missed Christine's voice a lot on "Say You Will", but didn't miss Stevie's voice at all on "Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie". Christine has a much nicer and softer singing voice (in my opinion).

9. Squealy

My point was, there was a key difference between Say You Will and Buckingham McVie in that Lindsey added Stevie’s vocals to his already-recorded songs, instead of just leaving them as is. To me, this made the album more cohesive. (Although her voice doesn’t always sound good on his songs. Or hers.) And yet, everybody still calls that album “two solo albums.”

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. Why did Lindsey overdub certain Stevie Nicks on certain tracks?

11. Squealy

Well I would imagine he did it to increase the "Fleetwood Mac-ness" of them, as they had begun life as tracks for his solo album... funny thing was he hadn't had her or Christine sing much if at all on his songs on Tusk or Tango or Mirage.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. "Tango In The Night" was virtually a Buckingham McVie collaboration. That's why I think the "Lindsey Buckingham Christine McVie" album sounds similar.

Hep Alien, ashlee5, theMess and 3 others like this.
  13. Christine appears a lot on" Tango In The Night", as does Lindsey Buckingham. He worked his ass off on that album in the studio and the rest of the band got all the credit for it. Stevie was hardly at the recording sessions most of the time as she was dosed up on tranquilizers.

I can understand now why he pulled out of the "Tango In The Night" tour.

14. Squealy

I didn't say she wasn't on it, or that they didn't collaborate, just that you don't hear her voice or Stevie's on Lindsey's songs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Irish-Matti

Irish-Matti Music Lover Since Birth

I remember Lindsey doing an interview concerning the "Extended Play" EP (as it were), him citing "Sad Angel as "the most Fleetwood Mac-kie" song we've done in years."
    However, most of the vocals are his, truth be told. But I quite like the song. Going for the "pop-rock-pop" feeling of Rumours:
    "Sad Angel"

[Pure Pop For Now Penguins]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    Hep Alien and Shak Cohen like this.
  16. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Any rumours (yuk yuk yuk) of him taking the tour across the pond?

Matthew Tate and Irish-Matti like this.
  17. Irish-Matti

I presume you mean his tour, not theirs. The U.S. leg is over by mid-December; post holidays seems unanswered. I read something about him
    doing 10-12 dates in the EU/UK, but like you said 'rumors' only. Best to you.

Matthew Tate and The7thStranger like this.
  18. The7thStranger

I can't afford FM's outrageously overblown prices, so I definitely meant Lindsey. Hopefully he'll do a stop in Germany then.

19. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

Lindsey was great in Chicago. Singing and performing like a person a third his age. Worth seeing, if you're on the fence.

YMC4, Andrew Smith, team2 and 4 others like this.
  20. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Forum Resident

hope it happens this time, the last tour was cancelled at the last minute we had tickets for the gig at Southampton.
    Ticketbastid never informed us the show was cancelled, nor did we see anything about the tour being cancelled in the press or on the interweb.
    Which resulted in my wife and I driving 30 miles or so to the venue, my brother drove down from Bicester only to be told on the door of The Guildhall that the show was cancelled, we couldn't believe it we thought the doormen were a pair of w.u.m's and playing a joke.

Soon it hit us it really was cancelled and we were pretty pissed off as you can imagine, but not as pissed off as some guy and his wife that showed up just behind us. He and his wife had travelled down from Yorkshire booked a hotel for the night to say over after the gig, again he wasn't informed by Ticketbastid.
    I think it was a couple of days later, news was now on Lindsey's website saying tour cancelled due to him suffering from an arm injury.

21. Irish-Matti

Well that's just outright disappointing. Out of curiosity, when was that? what tour?
    I couldn't make the Buckingham/McVie last year, so I'll see him in December here. His show is a good take.

22. Nightfly68

Nightfly68 Forum Resident

I saw Lindsey in Wilmington on Monday night and what a show it was. He sounded great, as did his band, and he was very gracious to the audience. At one point in the show he read out a list of names. He must have read a list of about 20 names and then stated, "these are the first responders. Music is important but not as important as these individuals. The world needs more people like them." Everyone stood up and it was a very loud applause. Lindsey was very thankful that so many showed up after having gone through (and still going through) Hurricane Florence. Highlights of the show for me included- Go Insane, Tusk, I Must Go. to name a few. My only criticism was the merchandise. The t-shirts were overpriced and looked like something you'd win at the local fair.

MerseyBeatle, Paul P. and team2 like this.
  23. Irish-Matti

I hate to say this, but you couldn't pay me enough to see the "re-configured" Fleetwood Mac. It's a band, maybe even a really good band, but it's not "Lindsey Buckingham's FM".
    It's also NOT Peter Green's FM, or Bob Welch's FM. I'll take Linds over FM anyday; his shows may be shorter, but they spare you Mick's insufferable drum solos! "Don't Look Down"

"Out Of The Cradle" - Best Album of the 1990s

24. The7thStranger

I like Lindsey's music, but I wouldn't call Out of the Cradle the best album of the 1990's. I mean, The Velvet Rope exists. ;)'

And I'd still go see FM if their ticket prices weren't $6M a ticket plus the blood of a firstborn child. It's pretty clear that this tour is a cash grab. And tbh, Lindsey sounds better than the rest of them at this point. So for a really affordable ticket price, I'd happily go see Lindsey in a more intimate setting than overpay to listen to the rest of them in an undersold arena.:shh:

Rooster_Ties and Sammy Banderas like this.
  25. fretbuzzed

fretbuzzed Forum Resident

2011 Seeds we Sow Tour
    8th December - Birnimgham Symphony Hall
    9th December - Salford Lowry
    11th December - O2 Academy Leeds
    12th December - Edinburgh Usher Hall
    13th December - Gateshead Sage
    18th December - Southampton Guildhall
    19th December - London Palladium

crazy thing about the lack of information or contact from TKTbastid as you can see, there were 10 days before the start of the tour to the gig we were attending.
    We never received an email or phone call to say the tour was cancelled.
    I even think by brother had to make several calls before getting his money refunded.