Lindsey Buckingham Sues Fleetwood Mac Over Dismissal from Band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IHeartRecordsAz, Oct 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

2. Skokiaan

Skokiaan Forum Resident

The setlist is his new Anthology album, played in order and nearly in its entirety (single disc version), plus five Fleetwood Mac songs.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. Converse

Converse Well-Known Member

I thought he just had enough and wanted do his own thing.

4. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

Ha, thanks , I did not clue into the fact that he was playing the Anthology songlist !

Sigma6, Matthew Tate and Skokiaan like this.
  5. WalkAThinLine

WalkAThinLine Forum Resident

because the reason she wanted him out is purely personal.

she's been hitting him way below the belt all. the. time. in practically every interview. somehow she's been given a pass for all that, over and over. now he's just stating some facts, after she got him fired and ruined their band, for purely personal reasons - and so he's stating it was personal, and now he's the bad guy? seriously?

professionally, she's been holding Fleetwood Mac back since 1998. all the while giving it a lip service how she would never.

6. WalkAThinLine

exactly.

7. Converse

Converse Well-Known Member

Has anybody had the chance to hang the guitar Lindsey has used to create the FWM sound since Rumours round there neck and play it ?
    How he's played that thing for so many years without getting back problems is beyond me.
    It weighs a ton.

8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

She’s not very nice.
    Her songs are basically rough sketches that people around her made into songs.
    She sings like Eric Cartman.
    (I’m holding back)

9. Artietodd

Artietodd Forum Resident

All of that is true, and is why I back Lindsey in all of this. I've just never seen him stoop to these types of comments. He's always frighteningly diplomatic, to the point where it sounds contrived and ponderous. Then again, last time he left the band, it was of his choosing. This time, it's not.

10. Wayfaring Stranger

Wayfaring Stranger Forum Resident

Going all the way back to Say You Will (which Lindsay wanted to make into a double album), it’s been clear that he still lives in an old fashioned world where albums can still go multi-platinum and cost millions of dollars to make. Stevie on the other hand is purely show-biz and more abreast of the realities of the modern music world, where new music is disposable and high priced concert tickets rule the game. Personally, I’d rather live in Lindsay’s world, but those days are gone. And just think how many headlines and chat shows the band has had since all this “Lindsay sacked” stuff broke. A regular tour with the full line up wouldn’t have got a fraction of the coverage. Canny move Stevie.

steelinYaThighs, No Bull and Keith V like this.
  11. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't think that's where he's coming from at all. Do his solo albums sound like he spent millions of dollars on them? Buckingham-McVie sounds closer in production value to those than to Rumours.

Lindsey didn't want to make a new Fleetwood Mac album to go multi-platinum, he wanted them to make new music and be creative. He cares less about commercial success than any of them. Even at the time of Say You Will, he wanted that double album to put out all the music he was sitting on, not because he thought it would be a good commercial move.

I think their expectations for Say You Will probably were higher because the last thing they’d done was the hugely successful 1997 reunion, and because in 2003 CD sales were suffering but hadn't been totally eviscerated yet by file sharing. That was 15 years ago. Today, I don't think Lindsey or anyone has any illusions about how many copies a new Fleetwood Mac album would sell.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I don't feel bad for any of them. Both dollar millionaires who haven't lived on planet earth for decades.

13. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Indeed, they're set for for life. Just relax, get a tan, soak up the sun, have a family for crying out loud lol

Rhett, Keith V and DTK like this.
  14. HardTimesRoughLines

HardTimesRoughLines She learned me life is sweet and God is good

Thing is, brah: even if you got zillions in the bank, you are still a human being. As such your feeling will get hurt by pretty much the same things that does the rest of us in. Because even if we feel a tinge of envy over somebody elses riches it would be pretty wise to remember that to have 'em you'd have to walk a mile or two in their shoes.

So while no-one (in their right mind) would feel sorry to the point of despair over some perceived slight or other between some rich stars they do not know personally, it takes someone lacking anything resembling empathy not to grasp how either Nicks or Buckingham (grown up children that both of them are) would not get hurt by all the drama that's been going down between them since 1975.

Even if you prefer the 'cool stuff' from when Peter Green and Danny Kirwan rooled the roost ;)

Best neighbourly regards,

HTRL

15. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

What confused me is why would they choose to keep Nicks over Buckingham?

No Bull, Davmoco, Rhett and 1 other person like this.
  16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

They both seem - based on employees' accounts, interviews, yada yada - to be people with severe but contrasting character flaws, so that viewpoint doesn't get my heart bleeding either.

17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

As many others here have said, SN puts butts in seats. the general public thinks of her and Mac as virtually the same. Two of their most popular and best known songs feature her voice.
    She has a brand--the way she dresses, her hair, the whole package. It sticks in people's heads.
    She has a huge solo following, much bigger than LB's............and they will follow her here.
    To many, Lindsey is a musician and a songwriter (only that). And he's backseat to her.

Note that I am not a SN fan, just a realist.

steelinYaThighs, LarryP, DTK and 7 others like this.
  18. HardTimesRoughLines

HardTimesRoughLines She learned me life is sweet and God is good

Nah, that never my point (not least because I didn't write anything of the sort, lad). Some sort balance and/or humour would be more than welcome tho :D But only understanding what makes your heart bleed must be more of a Swedish thing. It would explain a lot, actually.

Best regards,

HTRL

P.S. Only pulling your leg, they are aweful people.

DTK likes this.
  19. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Well her singing was marginal at best when young. Now she sounds more like a stuck goat to my ears. I saw FM twice once as the opener and another as the headliner, back around 1980 or so. She bores me to tears. Her voice is atrocious.

Nightfly68 and DTK like this.
  20. WalkAThinLine

smiple: greed.

21. WalkAThinLine

hm. Don't Stop and Go Your Own Way?

you are right about the brand. she's a genius at that.

22. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I wouldn't call Stevie's singing "atrocious" but I do feel it's become monotonous. I don't know if she's trying to save what's left of her voice or if she's just too limited by it, but she doesn't sing with any expression anymore ... everything is sung in the same flat nasal drone. Compare how she sang a song like "Gypsy" originally to how she does it now. It's not just the diminished range, there's no dynamics or intensity anymore. Another reason not to go see them.

(To be fair, Lindsey's voice is also sounding pretty ragged these days. But at least he performs his songs with feeling and energy...)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  23. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

A great "Gypsy" here at 40:40 .... The last true Fab5 tour , just a little help from roadie Ray Lindsey on three songs, including "Gypsy".

24. DreamBig

DreamBig Member

Since Lindsey's now on social media (answering Q's from fans, posting comments from time to time), I'm wondering if he's read comments from fans on various boards and that's where several of his comments are coming from (like the Stevie-not-having-a-family comment, the "cover band" comment, etc.). After he makes the comment about Stevie not having a family, he ends by saying he's not sure if that's part of it what's going on with her. Why bring it up at all if he doesn't know? Maybe he's hoping to get a response from her by doing that? I'm pro Lindsey, without hearing Stevie's point of view since settling. I could do without Lindsey's digs, and I hope he's done with those. He got his jabs in, and I hope it's out of his system. Stevie and Lindsey are the reason I fell in love with Fleetwood Mac back in the mid 70's and then later, I really started taking an interest in Lindsey's music, but I've always purchased solo albums and concert tickets for both of them, as well as Fleetwood Mac. I believe Lindsey after watching the Anthony Mason interview and if he's BS'ing, he deserves an Academy Award. I would really like to hear what Stevie has to say. I find it hard to believe she wanted Lindsey out of the band because he smirked at her during a speech she made. Also, her having Azoff call to do her dirty work doesn't sit well with me since Lindsey and Stevie have known each other for most of their lives. Ball's in your court, Stevie...

25. fsutall

fsutall Senior Member

I find Christine's role in all of this to be quite fascinating. She may have had nothing to do with Lindsey being fired, but she was certainly in a position to force Stevie's hand. If Stevie really did present the band with a "him or me" ultimatum regarding Lindsey, Christine could have refused to tour unless Stevie AND Lindsey were both part of the band.

It's one thing to tour without Lindsey, but if Christine were also gone there's no way promoters would have been willing to pay them big bucks for what would amount to a Stevie show with the FM rhythm section and some scrubs (nothing against Mike Campbell and Neil Finn). Mick and John are great, but how many people go to see Fleetwood Mac because of them?

I wonder if Christine did in fact threaten to leave as well? If she did, it may have led to the true end of the band, and perhaps she didn't want to be the deciding factor in that occurring? Hopefully we'll find out more about what exactly went on eventually...

jeremylr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.