List of quality DUALDISC you have heard?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by love4another, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

I too am very happy with it. An excellent disc.

2. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Are both of you talking about the 5.1? That's what Larry is talking about, not the stereo.

3. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I have never heard it but I doubt it. All Sony Dualdiscs that I have heard have the same mastering as the CD (remaster) albeit at 16bit 48khz resolution rather than 16bit 44.1khz. If you can hear the difference between 48 and 44.1khz, you truly have golden ears.:agree:

Shak Cohen and Say It Right like this.
  4. dbmay75

dbmay75 Funk & Guitar Junkie

Not to stray from topic, but for those wanting the Talking Heads its best to order them from amazon.co.uk - they are cheap and are separate CD and DVD-A - Speaking In Tongues is my fave for the bonus version of "Burning Down The House", an awesome example of surround sound.

5. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

If you can still find it, get SWW. The 5.1 mix is awesome and many tracks are longer than cd. Guilty pleasure all the way.

6. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Well I was talking about the surround, but I actually like the stereo better, too.:hide:

7. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

All of the contents of the Talking Heads Brick. (only real complaint was excessive panning effect on "The Great Curve")

The Eric Clapton - Back Home (good SQ, but the music was something of a letdown after Me and Mr. Johnson)

Steve Winwood - About Time (underrated part of his catalog)

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

World Drummers Ensemble (Bill Bruford, Chad Wackerman, et al)

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (got it out of curiosity for the 5.1, plus the video documentary is essential)

Peter Townshend/Ronnie Lane - Rough Mix (you don't know how good it is until you've heard it)

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms (thought the vocals were too loud in the center channel though)

That might be all in my collection, and all sounded fine. Disappointed that the format didn't take off, as it would've helped save DVD-A as viable format (at least as far as the major record companies were concerned). Titles are still plentiful through Amazon.

8. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

Yup, Sony tried not to have its DualDiscs compete with its SACDs, so Sony DualDiscs only have 16/48 -- which are very likely just upsampled 16/44.1.

But the non-Sony labels are worth having.

Imagine, if DualDiscs had taken off and replaced CDs, we'd have tons of rare video materials from the archives on the flipsides of pretty much everything. Labels would have HAD to look for stuff to stick on the video side.

(Instead, we just wait and hope that Viveo will persuade labels to let them put old videos on YouTube - and that happens, but slowly).

9. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

REM-Document (DualDisc)

10. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

yes, i stand corrected!

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

DualDisc should not have been born. Too easily scratched, not RedBook compliant. Too many compatibility issues, and many weren't high res. Should have mandated CD+DVD for the masses. And DVD-A as part of the standard for the DVD.

12. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

All true.

And I adamantly resisted for the longest time.

But...

DD was the only way to get Björk's early titles in surround.

Content First around here. And these sound fine to these ears.

DDs are played only in the DVD players. I keep separate redbook discs.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

13. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

^^ true dat. I bought a few of the Björk dualdiscs for the 5.1 mixes. I have never even played the CD sides (I already had the CDs anyhow).
    Townshend/Lane is another good'un, at least for the 5.1 mix.
    I have generally got the Talking Heads releases from Europe, to avoid the DD format (the exception being Naked).

Bowie's Reality has a nifty Dubly Digital 5.1 mix (same mix as the SACD) and also has what I think is a unique 16/48 master of the stereo mix, with slightly better dynamic range than either the CD or the stereo track on the SACD.

That's all I got.

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Which Chris Botti albums were released on DualDisc? Do they have hi-rez audio on the DVD side?

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I like the Brothers in Arms DualDisc (DVD-Audio side) much better than the SACD.

16. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

Why was it recalled?
    I saw it at Barnes & Noble and passed it up for a DualDisc of Kind Of Blue, I was going to grab it on the rebound but it was gone before you know it. The only DualDiscs I have are a stack of Vanguard classical releases and a MercyMe disc.

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It was issued during the initial test market, and they didn't clear the issue with Dave Brubeck. He forced the recall. No idea if they ground up the returns, but they never reappeared. This happened only a few days into the test market (in only two cities) and very few were sold.

18. DJMurphy

DJMurphy Forum Resident

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Richard Thompson's excellent The Old Kit Bag dualdisc... really nice one there. Todd Rundgren's Liars was a good presentation of not-one-of-my-favorite albums of his.

Has anyone heard the Nightfly Trilogy MVI disc set? For someone who never got the original DVD-Audios of his albums, is it worth it?

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

One was To Love Again. I forget the other. I will look.

20. D Schnozzman

D Schnozzman Forum Resident

I have the DVD-Audio of Todd Rundgren's Liars (which I assume is the same as the DVD side of the Dualdisc) and think it's pretty good.

21. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

No, many have DVD Audio sides and sound fantastic.

22. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

23. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Bill likes this.
  24. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

25. pmckeeaalaska

pmckeeaalaska Forum Resident

I have Fiona Apple's last album and Springsteens "Devils and Dust" on dualdisc but frankly, I cant tell either side apart in terms of sound quality, though I like the SQ of both albums overall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.