List of top 100 Funny Films (ca 2000) Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Apr 4, 2024.

1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Top Funny movies (list in Ottawa Citizen newspaper 14 June 2000). No idea who compiled the list

1.Some like it hot; Tootsie; Dr Strangelove; Annie Hall; Duck soup; Blazing saddles; MASH; It happened one night; The graduate;
    10. Airplane!; The Producers; A night at the opera; Young Frankenstein; Bringing up baby; The Philadelphia Story; Singing in the rain; The odd couple; The General; His girl Friday; The apartment; A fish called Wanda; Adam’s rib; When Harry met Sally; Born yesterday; The gold rush; Being there; There’s something about Mary; Ghostbusters; This is Spinal Tap; Arsenic and old lace; Raising Arizona; The Thin Man; Modern times; Groundhog day; Harvey; national Lampoons Animal House; The Great Dictator; City Lights; Sullivan’s travels;

40. Its a mad mad mad mad world; Moonstruck; Big; American graffiti; My man Godfrey; Harold and Maude; Manhattan; Shampoo; A shot in the dark; To be or not to be;

50. Cat ballou; The 7 year itch; Ninotchka; Arthur; The miracle of Morgan’s creek; The lady Eve; Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein; Diner; It’s a gift; A day at the races;

60 Topper; What’s up doc; Sherlock Junior; Beverly Hills cop; Broadcast News; Horsefeathers; Take the money and run; Mrs Doubtfire; The awful truth; Bananas;

70 Mister Deeds goes to town; Caddyshack; Mister Blandings Builds his dream house; Monkey business; Nine to Five; She done him wrong: Victor Victoria; The Palm Beach Story; Road to Morocco; The Freshman;

80. Sleeper; The Navigator; Private Benjamin; Father of the Bride; Lost in America; Dinner at 8; City Slickers; Fast Times at Ridgemount High; Beeteljuice; The Jerk;

90 Woman of year; The heartbreak kid; Ball of fire; Fargo; Auntie Mame; Silver streak; Sons of the desert; Bull Durham; The court jester; The nutty Professor;

100 Good Morning Viet Nam

Steve Litos likes this.
  2. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

yea some like it hot is probably the best comedy ever, blazing saddles I'd rate #2

music.is.my.radar likes this.
  3. primitivesludge

primitivesludge Forum Resident

Lot of good films here for sure but newsflash - they make comedy outside of North America.

Favourites here are Some Like it Hot and The General. Basically perfect.

4. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

How do they judge this stuff? I mean some comedy doesn't hold up all that well from this list.

Personally, I'd rank Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, My Cousin Vinny, Office Space, Deadpool and Deadpool 2 above probably 90 of the movies listed here off the top of my head. Some of the movies on the list are more dramedy like Good Morning Vietnam which to me is more drama than comedy (or at least that element of the film is superior to the comedy).

vince likes this.
  5. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Regarding the Jane Fonda movies on this list, ranking Cat Ballou above 9 To 5 is an... interesting choice. I like both, but still prefer the latter. I mean, it's got Jane, Lily and Dolly plus a great soundtrack AND Dabney Coleman as their boss. That's like a recipe for comedy greatness!

905 and Steve Litos like this.
  6. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

No Pink Panther?

GyroT and mBen989 like this.
  7. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

A Shot in the Dark is on the list.

8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Seeing this list reminded me of another list from years ago.
    A guy I knew was looking it over and said : " They left out ' Dude Where's My Car?' "
    He was serious.

unclefred likes this.
  9. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

And then?

Pete Puma and vince like this.
  10. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

I like sixteen of the films if Father of the Bride is the Steve Martin version and if The Nutty Professor is Eddie Murphy's. Otherwise I'm down to fourteen.

11. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

They are almost certainly the originals and not the crappy remakes.

12. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Despite the name, The Pink Panther bares no relation to the other movies in the series (other than Trail of the Pink Panther where characters from The Pink Panther appear) other than the character of Inspector Clouseau, who isn't even the main character of the movie and is a different character from the ones in the other movies. A Shot in the Dark is the first true (and funniest) Pink Panther movie and sets up everything that we associate with the Pink Panther series.

mBen989 likes this.
  13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

No "Holy Grail", no accept!

finslaw likes this.
  14. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

[​IMG]

The list is the American Film Institute's 100 Laughs, revealed June 2000, hence the absence of Gregory's Girl and any Monty Python.
    Delighted to see What's Up, Doc? and Silver Streak, but Safety Last! needs to be here.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    mBen989 likes this.
  15. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Since it has been over a century since the beginning of films, I think that it might be better to do a decade by decade of the Top 20 Funny Films. That way, worthy films won't be crowded out because of great funny films from other eras.

Would this be good as a new thread that we could create and add to?

16. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

The list should include more Steve Martin and funnier Peter Sellers IMO, Man With 2 Brains, Murder by Death, and Pink Panther Strikes Back. The problem with these comedy rankings is that they seem to consider artistic quality over laughs, so a bunch of comedies on the serious side make the list, like Manhattan, Broadcast News and Being There. At least Court Jester made it, but where is Support Your Local Sheriff? I laughed hardest on first watch at Weekend at Bernie’s, Army of Darkness and Noises Off. In retrospect this list would include The Big Lebowski, but this list was made when its cult status hadn’t hit yet.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  17. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Return of the Pink Panther was truly a return to the first film but with Plummer instead of Niven and may be the funniest of the series, if not the most memorable.

18. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

No Monty Phyton movies, no Pink Panthers. BS.

mBen989 likes this.
  19. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

A few I've enjoyed:

Roxanne
    Pee Wee's films, Big Adventure
    Airplane
    Dumb & Dumber
    Borat
    Mel Brooks Fankenstein
    Vacation
    Me, Myself, & Irene
    Idiocracy
    Meatballs
    The Big Labowski
    Kingpin
    What About Bob?

finslaw likes this.
  20. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Some of my favorites:

The Big Lebowski
    Airplane!
    Young Frankenstein
    Dr. Strangelove
    Bedazzled
    (1967 version)
    A Hard Day’s Night
    The Thin Man
    The Producers
    Tropic Thunder
    Groundhog Day

finslaw likes this.
  21. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I was just watching The Bank Dick. I'd forgotten how much I'd liked that.

22. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

What About Bob?…in

The Heartbreak Kid…out, out, out I say!

23. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

I love the earlier Marx stuff, hard to choose between Duck Soup and A Night At the Opera, both are brilliant.
    To Be or Not to Be, have watched this 100 times, Jack Benny is so funny, the only Jack Benny that really knocks it out of the park.
    Holy Grail has by far the best ending, I saw it in a theater and the audience just stared at the screen for awhile.
    I love all of Keaton's stuff, thank goodness we have it all.
    The Miracle of Morgan's Creek has always had a special place in my heart. Great Great script.
    The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (1943) - Quotes - IMDb One of my favorite lines I don't see in the quotes "I did it for the boys" or something like that, if Firesign Theater had written that line, they would be proud.

Added note, some of the episodes of Documentary Now are better than we deserve...especially "Globesman" and "Original Cast Album Co-op" both are so brilliant that they surpass what they are making fun of, Just brilliant, near perfect.

As far as I am concerned Peter Sellers best stuff is not on film, but radio, The Goon Shows, should be raised to high lit status, brilliant stuff