Listened to a pair of Bose noise canceling phones...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinny123, Sep 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well. Either you have different tastes from most people, or what happened to be playing happened to sound nice with those phones and source. I have the wired QC25, and feel the same as most: really good for killing jet noise, sound is "meh"
    - They won't play very loud (and I don't mean earsplitting, they have ridiculously low gain considering they have an internal amp)
    - Bass is shy. Not totally missing, you can hear the notes, but there is no fullness...something missing. I'm not comparing them to Beats either, I don't want bloated bass, but these sound like a system with a sub that was set properly and then turned to like -6 or -10.
    - Delicacy? Where? NO.
    My comparison points are AKG K240DFs, Blue studios, and a variety of earbuds I use for running and the gym, plus stuff I've heard at shows like the lovely Sennheiser HD800s, Santa Cruz Audio and so on.

Headphones REALLY depends on your ears. You simply must listen for yourself, which is not always possible, therefore you are posting here to get ideas. :D Be sure wherever you buy it is easy to return.

McLover likes this.
  2. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Well, having just used my Blue 'phones to mow the lawn instead of my Bose, I would extend that to say closed back will cut off SOME background noise, but not that much. Putting on the Blues feels like putting on my Peltor shooting muffs yet I can still hear the droning of the lawn mower much more than with the Bose. On a plane, even large-tipped earbuds can't touch my QC25s for cutting jet drone, and yes despite their lackluster sound it beats (Beats? :p) turning the volume way up to try and overcome which doesn't really work anyway.

I'd love to try the Santa Cruz Audio if their price ever comes down a lot, they had a very nice adjustable noise reduction and music sounded fabulous. On a plane, though, I don't really want buds in my ears for 11 hours to Japan or whatever.

3. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Well....the only real experience I have w headphones are a crappy pair of old Radio Shack/Koss phones that I’ve had for 20 years. They crackle and splat. I guess, based on that, while killing time in Best Buy, the Bose, by comparison, sounded pretty good. Maybe it was my anti Bose prejudice leading to my surprise at decent sound. Anyhow, I have a nice pair of Sennheisers on the way. Thanks for the input!

4. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Mowing the lawn is quite a bit different in requirements for noise cancelling. your results are not surprising.

I don't know that noise on a plane is usually that bad that the sound of engine "drone" ever bothered me to any extent, just sitting there, not listening to music or anything else.

YouTube has many videos of jet airline engine sounds.

Airplane Sleep Sounds White Noise | Jetliner Plane Flight for Sleeping, Relaxation | 10 Hours

FOr most people, a decent pair of closed back headphones would work for them. If you must have QUIET, then go Bose!

5. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I’m sure you have thought of this, but does the QC25 have a gain switch on the headphone cable? The QC15 does, and on the low gain setting it plays at a stupidly low volume on most devices.

6. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Quoting oneself is never good, but a quick look at the Bose website suggests that the QC25 doesn't have a level (not gain) switch at the headphone end of the cable unlike the QC15. I believe it is there to attenuate the higher output found in some in flight entertainment systems. I switched it to low ages ago when my daughter was using them on her iPad to protect her hearing, forgot about it, and then couldn't work out for ages why they were so quiet next time I used them.

7. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Actually I hadn't thought of that! Thanks for checking, too bad QC25 doesn't have that. I do see some slick little wireless adaptors for them, not something I have too much need for.

8. SandAndGlass

F.Y.I.

To any forum member, one of our other member's has listed a MassDrop HD-6XX this morning for $200, opened, new, including shipping and tracking.

Massdrop Sennheiser HD6XXX Mint/Unopened/New

That is a deal that won't likely be beaten!

9. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

This graph illusrates the difference between the Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 650. The 600 has a flatter, more accurate response curve above 40 Hz. The 650 has a little fatter bottom end. Good for rock, I suppose. Also worth noting, the 600 cable has a 1/8" mini plug and the 650 has a 1/4" phone plug. However, Sennheiser cables are interchangeable, and both come with conversion adapters. There are also numerous aftermarket cables, including balanced, if your amp, like the Ayre Codex, supports that.

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. SandAndGlass

You might also note that the 650 is a bit brighter overall on the top end, with a nice peak between 3k and 5k.

11. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

MMmmmmm.... data! This actually reinforces what I am hearing.... I've always viewed the 600's as more "neutral" to my ears.... thanks for sharing...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    SandAndGlass likes this.
  12. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

I have the Audio-Technica AT-M50x and they are excellent. About $150 I believe.

13. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

The BOSE sound good and are especially good in noisy environments. HD600 are good also but lack a bit deep bass. My favourites are the beyerdynamic DT150 with DT 100 velour pads. But none of the later work well on airplanes.

14. jologskyblues

jologskyblues Active Member

I just got the Sony WH-1000XM3 to replace my Bose QC35II and the Sony sounded much better off the bat. I compared it with My HD-650 and it's not bad at all.

I use the ANC headphones when I'm out or traveling and the HD650 when I'm at home. The best thing about ANC is that I can still hear the details in the music since they're not drowned out by the surrounding noise. I can't imagine using the open-back HD650 in those kinds of environments to be honest. Right tools for the right job I guess.

punkmusick likes this.
  15. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Forum Resident

There is a lot to read about headphones and also measurements here

Home Page

and here:

DIY-Audio-Heaven

The modified DT150 measures (and sounds) rather good:

[​IMG]

16. Joyoo

Joyoo Senior Member

I've bought a Sennheiser Momentum Wireless 2.0 second handed. It just arrived this morning and wearing it since then. It sounds great and wears comfortabely. I have no regrets of this purchase. The NC works also pretty good, I already have been shocked twice by my children whom I did not hear :yikes:

[​IMG]

17. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

I lost my Bose QC35 II at the airplane and someone dishonest enough was lucky. Now I need another pair. As much as I liked it, I'll consider its Sony and Sennheiser competitors for my next travel.

18. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

For under $100 I’d recommend Sony MDR V6 or Sony MDR-7506 (essentially the same headphone - I have the V6). They’ve been in production for many years and are used in countless studios. Some will say they’re meant for studio work and not listening, but I don’t agree with that. They have a small peak in the treble, but they mainly are quite accurate, and I have enjoyed them.

forthlin likes this.
  19. Tarzanell

Tarzanell New Member

Can I ask what you all think of noise-cancelling earphones? I've been thinking about picking up a pair of QC30s (ugly collar and all), but am a little concerned that the noise cancelling can't hold a torch to over-ears.

20. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

My Bose QC35 II were stolen a few months ago. I liked them so much I wanted to buy another pair to replace the stolen one. Last week I saw the Sony WH-1000XM3 for sale in a store that had the 35II as well so I could compare them. I thought the NC of the Sony was better so I bought it. After a week I'm almost thanking the thief. The Sony is much better, it sounds better (almost like a real hifi headphone), its noise cancelation is better and it's more comfortable (probably fits my head and ears better). I had a slight sensation of pressure in the ears with the Bose too, but not with the Sony.

BayouTiger likes this.
  21. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

There is no “best”. It’s a matter of taste, comfort and budget. I have Sony WH-1000’s and my wife has Bose QC-35’s. The Sony’s fit my head better, but the Bose are lighter and probably more comfortable for most people. There is a slight sensation of pressure when the noise canceling is on, but you get used to it after a few minutes. Both sound great and do an excellent job of canceling noise.

22. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

23. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

The Sony's are excellent! Even my wife is glad she lost her QC15's and now gets my Sony's for trips. Crazy long battery life as well!

punkmusick likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.