Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing the following CD from my Corelli collection ...

[​IMG]

Jazzicalit, bluemooze and Baroque like this.
  2. coopmv

I thought DVD-Audio has been dead for a long time. Yet Presto is still selling it ... :confused:

[​IMG]

Jazzicalit and bluemooze like this.
  3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm not sold on her interpretation of "Pictures" overall (it has some great moments), but the other works are hair-raising! Excellent sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

No.1 today. This all-analog remastered set sounds fantastic, and the performances are exemplary.

[​IMG]

5. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

NP Schumann - Fantasy in C

[​IMG]

Stupendous. A great set that shows a side of Backhaus we don't encounter so much in his later recordings. Transfer from 78s and audio restoration by Mark Obert-Thorn.

6. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

While this is mixed I'd hardly call it a slagging. Curious to hear: RACHMANINOV Piano Concertos Nos 2 & 3 | gramophone.co.uk

bluemooze and Dan C like this.
  7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

I have an old Sony DVD player that plays DVD-Audio, and I have two DVD-Audio discs, neither CM. :)

8. bluemooze

First listen to CD 5 from "Die Grossen Minnesanger" on Christophorus.

Oswald von Wolkenstein - Der letzte Minnesanger performed by the Ensemble Fur Fruhe Musik Augsburg

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jazzicalit and Mr Bass like this.
  9. bluemooze

First listen to CD 2 of 2 from "Thomas Tallis - Latin Church Music / Spem In Alium" performed by the Taverner Consort & Choir directed by Andrew Parrott on Warner.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jazzicalit, Baroque and Daedalus like this.
  10. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

DVD Audio is not necessarily the same thing as DVD-A the defunct multichannel competitor to SACD. The DVD Video specs allowed for 2 channels of 96k - 24 bit audio and Chesky released a few albums in DVD (Video) Audio in the late 90s. I only saw that Handel Theodora issued on CDs so I am not sure why someone would I guess later issue it on DVD Audio. But I suspect it is the DVD 2 channel Audio format playable on a standard DVD player rather than DVD-A which expired I believe in 2008 or so.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    bluemooze likes this.
  11. bluemooze

Listening to "Zemlinsky - The Mermaid / Sinfonietta Op. 23" performed by the Gurzenich-Orchester and the Kolner Philharmoniker led by James Conlon on EMI.

[​IMG]

royzak2000, layman and Daedalus like this.
  12. bluemooze

First listen to CD 6 from "Deutsche Harmonia Mundi: 100 Great Recordings"

Bach - Brandenburg Concertos BWV 1046-1048 performed by La Petite Bande led by Sigiswald Kuijken

[​IMG]

13. bluemooze

Listening to CD 8 from "Marcelle Meyer - Ses Enregistrements 1925 - 1957" on EMI.

Bach:
    Suite Anglaise No 4 En Fa Majeur BWV 809
    Toccata En Fa Diese Mineur BWV 910
    Toccata En Ut Mineur BWV 911
    Toccata En Re Majeur BWV 904
    Partita No 6 En Mi Mineur, BWV 830
    [​IMG]

Jazzicalit and hvbias like this.
  14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

This is Karajan's 1960s Brahms cycle, which was never released as a set on CD outside of the big Karajan boxes as far as I know.

layman and crispi like this.
  15. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

How do you know it’s all-analogue. Does it say that on the packaging? I’m just asking because of: a) Universal’s track record of using high-resolution transfers for their LPs; b) DG having just recently released a high-resolution version of this very set; c) the usual sticker they put on their packaging saying “from the original sources” does not imply all-analogue.

Having said all of that, I am firmly in the camp that believes that having a digital step involved in mastering LPs does not necessarily mean that they sound worse, or that the sound is affected at all.

EDIT: Just saw the Discogs entry for this, which contains the words “high fidelity pure analogue (AA)”, which probably are also on the packaging. I guess I was wrong in my having doubts, so kudos to Universal.

bluemooze, Byrdsmaniac and Dan C like this.
  16. crispi

Correct. No. 1 appeared on an “Originals” CD, Nos. 2 & 3 appeared in the “Master Recordings” 10-CD set (which were also available individually, I believe), while No. 4 only appeared on a late ‘80s cheapo “Resonance” series CD, afaik. But never together as a set, unless they were part of bigger sets.

bluemooze likes this.
  17. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Seek out the Rozhdestvensky cycle on Melodiya.

royzak2000 likes this.
  18. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have that along with several other of the Zemlinsky operatic series conducted by Conlon.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. crispi

20. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the third Living Presence box.

[​IMG]

21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thank you, I suspect this won't be to my taste, but I will listen to some of the 9th.

I listened to Ivan Fischer with the RCO's recording of the 9th to see if I changed my mind on that, a serviceable performance but sadly still not up to the high standards he set with Mahler and his good performances of Bruckner.

ubertrout likes this.
  22. coopmv

Isn't a universal player supposed to play DVD-Audio as well? I have one though I only use it to play SACD's and CD's ...

23. coopmv

I almost forgot about my box ... :eek:

24. coopmv

Is this a 100-CD mega box?

I only have the following box ...

[​IMG]

25. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

There was a sticker on the cellophane that also contained the phrase “high fidelity pure analogue (AA)."

crispi likes this.