Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Oops, my mistake. I guess I'll have to clean my glasses… ;)

crispi and misterjones like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD4

Beethoven Sonata in B - flat Major, Op. 22
    Schubert Three Pieces for Piano, D 946
    Schubert Wanderer Fantasy in C Major, D 860

Academy of Music (Budapest, 27 April 1963)

for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

Mugrug12 and bluemooze like this.
  3. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Let's hope I missed nothing. 23 CDs is quite enough!

bluemooze likes this.
  4. coopmv

It would take me a better part of a month to listen to this number of CD's and I am retired ... :eek:

misterjones likes this.
  5. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Well, initially I am planning for retirement, and I'll need some musical accompaniment. And I've actually listened to much of this already via Spotify. But I do need to approach it in a more orderly fashion based on enjoyment of the music rather than what I think would be the best buy. I also listened to samples from Amadeus, Angeles and Buchberger and none of them worked for me. I liked what I heard of Aeolian, but for some reason that's an all or nothing ensemble on CD.

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

On Spotify, disc 3 from "The Golden Age of the European Polyphony, 1350-1650" performed by the Laudantes Consort led by Guy Janssens on Cypres.

CD 3: Josquin des Prez

[​IMG]

7. bluemooze

:edthumbs:

8. coopmv

Now playing CD2

Symphony in F 'Urbs Roma'
    Symphony No. 3 in C minnor Op. 78 'Organ'

from the following twofer for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

9. coopmv

:edthumbs:

10. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Probably a bit slower. As I was listening I recalled one of her Twitter comments from earlier this week, about the Notre Dame fire (she's a Paris resident), which greatly moved her, and there was a great emotional weight to her playing. Perhaps her heart was there and not in the Liszt showpieces.

Dan C, hvbias and bluemooze like this.
  11. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Final comment on the Buniatishvili recital-- my wife took a somewhat dim view of the artist's hair-tossing and extremely revealing gown, but hey-- Khatia's gonna Khatia.

12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Perverse to stick an Erato label on these EMI recordings that never had anything to do with Erato. Maybe it's some form of obscure payback for the fact that for years Erato recordings were issued outside France on other labels.

Luisboa likes this.
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Or it's because they (parent company Warner) are not allowed to use the EMI name and logo, and have to put some label on reissues of EMI recordings they now own :)

It's the same with Universal, who are not allowed to use the Philips name and logo for their Philips reissues, unless specially licensed as with their Philips label boxes.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    crispi and bluemooze like this.
  14. coopmv

I actually had been able to find Erato LP's in NY with no problems though MHS tended to be the biggest American licensee. Indeed, I do not like the Warner people to banish the EMI name on every turn as if the label never existed and Warner is the original owner of all those music copyrights. BTW, my twofer has the EMI logo since I bought it before the EMI "takeunder" by Warner ...

Luisboa likes this.
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

See my previous post, Warner are not allowed to use the EMI name and logo, it's not their choice. That said, I agree that they could have chosen better titles for their box set reissues, "The Warner Recordings" or titles like that are false and misleading, of course.

Luisboa, crispi and vanhooserd like this.
  16. coopmv

In the classical world over the years, Warner has taken over more classical music labels than Universal and Sony combined since it practically had no presence in that subgenre of music other than some token presence by Nonesuch. It seems Warner essentially has erased all labels it took over and slapping an Erato logo on a former EMI recording just makes absolutely no sense and is plain stupid ...

Luisboa and vanhooserd like this.
  17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

A while ago there were rumours that Vivendi, the French conglomerate that owns Universal, was considering selling off parts of the Universal Music Group, but there's been no confirmation.

18. coopmv

It may be looking to spin off part of the company as a public company in the US and Vivendi will retain the remainder of the company. Wasn't Polygram still partially owned by Philips for a while even though Polygram itself became a public company? I made some nice profits from owning some Polygram shares back in the late 80's or early 90's ...

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I guess anything's possible. Anyway, it's not my world, I'm an outsider in that field. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with investments for my pension, we have a quite different system here.

20. coopmv

I am receiving two small pensions (a rarity in the private sector these days) in addition to my government pension (aka the social security benefit) though I have always run my own investments since I was in my 30's and have paid taxes to European countries for years on the dividends I received from my European investments ...

Scandinavian, Dutch and English companies are good to invest in.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    bluemooze likes this.
  21. coopmv

Now playing CD2 - Symphonies Nos. 2 & 4 by JEG and the Orchestre Revolutionnaire Et Romantique from the following box for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

While I remain a skeptic in HIP for classical period, you like this recording IIRC?

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

English companies might be a bit less good if/when (who can tell…) Brexit goes through - but let's not get political :)

23. coopmv

English companies that derive a lot of their earnings from the US may be fine. Unilever tried to move its headquarter from London to the Netherlands and the idea was shot down by its major shareholders but its share price seems to be doing fine. It, too, derives a lot of its earnings outside the EU.

24. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

25. bluemooze

On Spotify, "Szymanowski - Symphony No. 2, Symphony No. 4, 'Symphonie Concertante', Concert Overture" performed by the BBC symphony Orchestra conducted by Edward Gardner with Louis Lortie (piano) on Chandos.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]