Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. andolink

andolink Forum Resident

Klaus Huber: Tempora Concerto for violin and small orchestra (1970)
    Frank Stadler, violin
    Mozarteumorchester Salzburg
    Arturo Tamayo, conductor

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I hope to start my next Complete Bach Cantatas box in the next week or so ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Kundera the joke. like this.
  3. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Amazon strikes again. Ordered a copy of Mozart 225 while they were running their spring sale. Box arrived today looking like a boxer took offense to it. Totally crushed in and actually torn open on one side. The packing tape lending it some structural integrity was likely applied by the local post office. Sure enough, the set itself was loose in the box, had one corner punched in and split seams not just on the lid, but the inner box as well.

I try not to fall into the "first world problems" whining, but it just strikes me as so sloppy and lazy to sell something this heavy and expensive and not even have the decency to leave it in the damned shipping box the manufacturer provided. Waiting on their customer service to see exactly how well or poorly the story ends...

I rather enjoyed the Karajan Rossini disc. No time like the present to dust off that LP if it's in the racks. :D

bluemooze and crispi like this.
  4. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

For the amount of geetus necessary to buy any decent cantatas set, wouldn't it be better just to buy the Bach 333? It has Koopman and Suzuki and others. Seems like a nice collection. That's my thinking anyway.

bluemooze likes this.
  5. coopmv

IIRC, you are the second thread participant after @mdekoning who has this Mozart 225 box. Good for you but the box will not do much for me ...

Packing is always a concern when ordering anything bulky from Amazon. :shake:

Runicen likes this.
  6. coopmv

I don't particularly like to have a Complete Bach Cantatas set recorded by multiple ensembles/conductors. I have at least 1,500 recordings of JS Bach works and as such this Bach 333 box does not do anything for me ...

7. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Thanks. I’ve actually been back for awhile. My posting just seems to be more infrequent than it once was. Speaking of Jacobs’ Debussy, it’s increasingly difficult to track down the Nonesuch CDs. I was lucky to find them a few years ago. They’re all incredible.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, hvbias, ibanez_ax and 4 others like this.
  8. Mirror Image

Isabelle Faust is an incredible violinist.

A few of my favorite recordings of her’s:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, hvbias, ibanez_ax and 3 others like this.
  9. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I was honestly pretty gob-smacked by the whole thing. The box must weight 35 or so pounds and it was just rattling around in a box it barely would have filled half of (well, prior to the shipping box being crushed, anyway) with a wee bit of brown packing paper in there.

I get that Bezos has more money than God at this point, but I don't understand how any business could not only offer an expensive item at a steep discount during a seasonal sale, but also borrow trouble by so poorly packing and shipping the thing. Kind of slips beyond "this isn't profitable" into "this will actively cost you money." This is actually one of the first times I've dug my heels in at all regarding returns simply because it'll cost a mint to return AND I'll have to buy a bloody box just to send it back. I'm not sure quite what they can do for me, but it's kind of a cluster at the moment.

bluemooze likes this.
  10. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Wow. Seeing Schonberg's The Lives of the Great Composers brings back long-ago memories...
    I have the first edition (1970) of that, given to me by my piano teacher. I read it so often the paper jacket fell off. :sigh:

bluemooze likes this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Those are also a few of my favourite of hers (she is only featured in the Debussy Sonata for Violin and Piano on the first CD, of course).

bluemooze likes this.
  12. Mirror Image

Yep, but that performance of the Debussy Violin Sonata was so amazing that I just had to mention it. :)

13. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Tonight on the turntable, Brahms Piano Quartet No.1 in G Minor, Op.25. Beaux Arts Trio w/Walter Trampler, viola.
    A minor key work always sounds better late at night, doesn't it? ;)
    This is LP #1 from a 3-LP box set, issued by Philips in 1974.
    Recorded at La Chaux de Fonds, Musica Théâtre, Switzerland, June 1973.

[​IMG]

tomymontana, bluemooze, Dan C and 6 others like this.
  14. Mirror Image

The 6th:

[​IMG]

I’m starting to get back into symphonies more and more. I have a mini-vacation coming up and I’d like to, at the very least, go through the Mahler, Bruckner, Shostakovich, Vaughan Williams, Sibelius, and Nielsen symphonies while I’m off, but I know that’s wishful thinking, but I would really like to as these are my favorite symphonists.

bluemooze, Luisboa, hvbias and 2 others like this.
  15. Mirror Image

Shostakovich: Violin Concerto No. 1 in A minor, Op. 77

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Soulpope, hvbias and 4 others like this.
  16. coopmv

@Wes H and all you fans of the Beaux Arts Trio, check out this youtube on Bernard Greenhouse's Strad cello ...

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    bluemooze, McLover and Wes H like this.
  17. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Those fruits on the left are goosberrys (their husks rather). Never heard of them or tasted them untill last month when I was abroad. They are so delicious! Sorry for random post

bluemooze likes this.
  18. coopmv

Well, the French often prefer unusual covers for their CD's ...

Mugrug12 likes this.
  19. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Qobuz streaming this currently:
    [​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  20. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

21. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

This morning on the turntable: Nielsen--String Quartets in F Minor, Op.5 and in E Flat Major, Op.14.
    Composed in 1890 and 1898, these are youthful works of Nielsen and the inspiration of Grieg, Tchaikovsky, and Beethoven can be detected.

Deutsche Grammophon LP, German, 1979.

Cover portrait of Carl Nielsen was painted by his daughter Anne Marie Telmányi.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, Soulpope, Dan C and 5 others like this.
  22. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

In honor of page 1800 of this thread, I am listening to Beethoven's horn sonata (Op.17) written in the year 1800. :)

[​IMG]

23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Last piece I heard last night, Koechlin's magnificent piano quintet. Antigone Quartet/Sarah Lavaud.
    @Mirror Image are you a fan?

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Mirror Image

I like Koechlin a lot, but find his chamber music (along with the solo piano works) to be rather dull and uninteresting. For me, his greatest music are his orchestral works, especially Le livre de la jungle, Le buisson ardent, Parts I & II, and Vers la Voûte étoilée, which have remained favorites of mine for many years now.

hvbias likes this.
  25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I agree with you on the orchestral works, I think I'll play some of them if I can get home in time tonight. I love the chamber music (can't recall much about the solo piano music, maybe for good reason :) ), I was completely in the zone active listening absorbed by the rather lengthy piano quintet.