Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I was impressed by the SACD of the piano transcription of Tchaikovsky’s ballet by Stewart Goodyear very much. I have not listened to other CD by him. I remember that some discussed his Beethoven set in this thread.
    Would you recommend his other outputs for me?

layman likes this.
  2. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

3. I began playing that one yesterday night, that is the French LP set. That pressing is so quiet/the cut so lively that when the overture music first came in at normal playback volume - my headphones are a little "gain-y" - I got startled!

Made me think that, perhaps, on the very eve of the big digital take-over, the all analog recording industry wanted to really "show them"... (Just a thought...)

bluemooze likes this.
  4. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "A Voice In The Wilderness - Mannerist Motets Of The Renaissance" performed by Pomerium directed by Alexander Blachly on Old Hall Recordings.

Works by:
    Monteverdi
    Gesualdo
    Wert
    Lassus

[​IMG]

canzld likes this.
  5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Oh go on then don't keep us in the dark, was it Karajan's 1960s recording of Beethoven Symphony 9? One of the most ultra rare CDs to exist? :D

It is an ok middle of the road cycle. IMHO the competition is pretty stiff in this area for me to be able to recommend it. I personally found his playing on some live Youtube clips more interesting than what he recorded for that cycle.

Someone on GMG who knows piano interpretation extremely well (the only one I disagree with him on is having Kempff and Gulda ranked so high and Daniel-Ben Pienaar is not to my taste) has it in the third tier: Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Also you might not be a fan of the recording quality which is all over the place depending on the sonata.

------

My listening from last night- this Schoenberg disc from Orpheus Chamber Orchestra and Sibelius Symphony 2 from the SACD below

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Indeed a very good box I was pleased to grab, elevated my opinion of Szeryng much higher after being able to hear more of his early recordings.

HiResGeek likes this.
  7. bluemooze

Indeed - back then Tascam had developed outstanding 16-track recording machines using only 1/2-inch tape but everyone went digital. :)

ParloFax likes this.
  8. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

It's unfortunate that what's readily available from Szeryng are his later recordings on Philips from the 1970's; as he aged, his playing became rather impersonal and bland. His recordings for RCA and Mercury from the 1950's-1960's show us a different artist entirely, one who possessed both immaculate technique and personality.

hvbias likes this.
  9. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Reger: String Quartets; Clarinet Quartet
    Drolc Quartet
    Karl Leister, clarinet (Quintet)
    DG

[​IMG]

Good stuff; particularly the later works. The first couple of quartets are somewhat turgid exercises in counterpoint, but his later works are more lyrical while still being chock full of dense polyphonics. The Clarinet quintet is the best piece of the bunch, and Karl Leister unsurprisingly is the star of the show. The Drolc quartet was the first group to record the entire cycle of the canonical quartets (an early youth work isn't included), and they are still recommendable as a top choice.

hvbias, Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  10. bluemooze

First listen to CD 56 from "Deutsche Harmonia Mundi: 100 Great Recordings"

Pachelbel / Johann Christoph Bach / Johann Michael Bach - Motets performed by Cantus Colln directed by Konrad Junghanel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

canzld and cdgenarian like this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra's tribute to their late former principal conductor Mariss Jansons, Sibelius' Valse triste, in an empty Concertgebouw:

12. bluemooze

Listening to CD 24 from "Aldo Ciccolini - Enregistrements EMI 1950-1991" on EMI.

Satie -
    Première pensée de la Rose+Croix
    Sonneries de la Rose+Croix
    Quatre Préludes
    Le Fils des Etoiles, Wagnérie kaldéenne du Sar Péladan
    Jack in the box
    Six Pièces de la période 1906-1913
    Deux Nocturnes
    Trois petites pièces montées, for piano four hands

[​IMG]

sambamaster and Eigenvector like this.
  13. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

14. harvard75

harvard75 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Just received from Presto, from across the Pond. Had to order from there, as Amazon isn't listing the CD, and appears to be ever so slowly bowing out of "We have EVERYTHING!" approach, at least as far as classical CDs are concerned.

No matter. Ms. Frang is simply amazing.

Mr Bass, Eigenvector and bluemooze like this.
  15. bluemooze

First listen to CDs 38 & 39 from "Maria Callas - The Complete Studio Recordings 1949-1969" on EMI.

Rossini - Il barbiere di Siviglia performed by the Philharmonia Orchestra and Chorus led by Alceo Galliera

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

canzld, Mr Bass, HowardLive and 2 others like this.
  16. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:edthumbs:

Amazon seems to be shifting over to selling downloads ...

Below is her only recording in my collection thus far

[​IMG]

harvard75 and bluemooze like this.
  17. coopmv

Just arrived from across the pond. This will be my 14th or 15th Complete Bach Organ Works. I think this should be it for me as organ playing is a dying art form and there are few outstanding living organists like the old days ...

[​IMG]

HowardLive and bluemooze like this.
  18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I couldn't have said it better, prior to this box I only had his Philips (often those Duo discs) CDs and a smaller number of DG.

@yasujiro I'm not sure if you were looking to explore some new Beethoven recordings or just asking about Stewart Goodyear in general. Igor Levit released a full cycle a couple of months ago and the recording quality on it is very good (IMO short of reference level), Jed Distler gave it a 10/10 on recording quality, I would say by my own more stringent scale it is more like an 8. His interpretations are good (nothing really exceptional), but I personally don't feel the need to have 10 or 20 cycles of anything and I'm only interested in the very best interpretations/performances.

Levit has an interesting Op. 111 were he turns in a highly detailed performance of the final movement, and he does it with taking all Beethoven's pedal markings. So just for myself I am happy to have that Late Sonatas 2 CD set instead of the full cycle.

Byrdsmaniac and bluemooze like this.
  19. coopmv

@bluemooze, Nice to see you and @DeepFloyd11 listening to operas from time to time for a nice diversion. I hope to start spinning some of my Wagner operas soon as I still have 3 Rings I have yet to get cracking on ...

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I’m interested in Stewart in general. (I’m also interested in the Steinway & Sons label artists such like Lara Downes and Constantin Scherbakov.)

layman likes this.
  21. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

Listening last night.
    Brahms 1 with Karajan and the Philharmonic. Japanese reissue.
    Nice quiet vinyl but sadly processed so simultaneously slightly clearer and murkier than originals. Annoys me at start but my ear quickly adjusts

[​IMG]

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Amazon Germany does have the CD, and so do other EU Amazon stores:

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07XVCZ9V9/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_nl_NL=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&keywords=vilde+frang+paganini&qid=1576001698&s=music-classical&sr=1-1

https://www.heidoc.net/amazon/amazon_global_check.php?cb=cb&q=&asin=B07XVCZ9V9&button=GO

23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Gotcha, he also recorded a tribute CD to Glenn Gould which I haven't heard.

-----
    I have been in a real Schubert mood since having Andrea Lucchesini and Arcadi Volodos' reference level Schubert CDs (for Volodos both the one from early 2000s and one from this year) in my heavy rotation.

So this puts me in the mood to hear more Schubert, some lunch time listening:

Wanderer Fantasy, live recording from England from Richter, a very Richter performance of Schubert :) A top 5 Wanderer Fantasy for me, more passionately played than the EMI studio. Then D780 from Gilels, live recording from Melodiya Anniversary box. And if I have time something from Schnabel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soulpope, yasujiro and bluemooze like this.
  24. bluemooze

:righton:

25. coopmv

I think Amazon US may be just following the listening trend here in the US. No matter, as I have been buying mostly from European etailer these days anyway ...