Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Most probably!

2. DeepFloyd11

Finally a proper Day off from work.

On the TT..

[​IMG]

Dan C, vanhooserd, ibanez_ax and 2 others like this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

While I only have about a half dozen of his recordings, I like them all. He really enjoyed longevity as he lived well into his 90's ...

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  4. coopmv

:edthumbs: Beethoven 6th is a challenge for most conductors IMHO and many consider it to be a persistent weakness for Karajan across all his Beethoven cycles ...

5. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

I would agree with that. Karajan generally does well with the big sturm-und-drang symphonies like the 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th (particularly in the Philharmonia and 1960s Berlin cycles), but he always seems to conduct the 6th like he’s late for a dinner engagement :D

6. coopmv

Now playing CD7 - La Resurrezione from the following box for a second listen, another chance to hear Emma at her best and her opening aria is just fabulous ...

[​IMG]

I also have the LP box

[​IMG]

@bluemooze, I am sure you have this LP box as well.

Runicen, canzld and bluemooze like this.
  7. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to CD 9 from "Leonard Bernstein Edition - Concertos & Orchestral Works" on Sony.

Beethoven - Violin Concerto
    - New York Philharmonic with Isaac Stern.
    Beethoven - Concerto for 2 Violins - New York Philharmonic with Isaac Stern and Yehudi Menuhin.

[​IMG]

Dan C, Eigenvector, ibanez_ax and 2 others like this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

:righton: Yes I do.

10. coopmv

I like the 6th by Walter and need to re-listen to the versions by Bohm, Hatink, Giulini and Cluytens, etc. to see who else make the cut. I expect to add the cycles by Mackerras and Jansons to my collection soon ...

Tinian likes this.
  11. coopmv

Now playing the following CD - reconstructed and remastered by MOT from my Historical Recordings collection ...

[​IMG]

12. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I started my day with Symphony No.3 in a magnificent performance on this SACD. (I have the complete set of Symphonies on SACD--they sound remarkably good.)

[​IMG]

layman, Wugged, Eigenvector and 5 others like this.
  13. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

after daughters versus dads football game this morning, recovering with help from Schubert
    [​IMG]

14. DeepFloyd11

ubertrout likes this.
  15. coopmv

This should be part of the following box I bought in 2007 (according to Amazon). This box has been OOP for a long time ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  16. coopmv

Have you ever bought from Discogs? I only use their website for info ...

17. DeepFloyd11

On the TT..

Unlike my husband, I have not been inspired lately to cook more elaborate dishes, but today is an exception and I am making baked stuffed bell peppers with home made Bolognese sauce, smothered with grated Mozzarella/Provolone cheese. Yum. Dear Maestro Pavarotti -greatly missed- is accompanying me and keeping up the motivation...:love::love::love:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Correct. I decided to purchase mine separately to make sure the sound was good enough without investing in the complete set. In hindsight, the box set would have been cheaper.

19. coopmv

You've got to have a nice Italian meal when you listen to the great Italian tenor Luciano Pavarotti. I will probably get his La Traviata box with Joan Sutherland after the holiday.

[​IMG]

It is nice to have someone who is into choral/vocal/opera works to break the monotony and add diversity here. I can never listen to piano works all the time even though I have at least 1,500 piano recordings ...

bluemooze and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  20. coopmv

A new box is now almost impossible to find and you have to shell out big $ for it ...

Few people had expected the UniversalMusic Group would pull the plug on SACD so fast. Most SACD's released by DG, Philips and Decca are now only available as used.

21. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Right--I meant at the time. As I recall, the single discs came out first. From a purely sonic perspective, I still prefer the LPs' sound, but it's nice to be able to hear a complete symphony without flipping sides! Or hitting Pause if someone dares to interrupt my musical bliss by calling me!

22. DeepFloyd11

Yes, I have purchased records on Discogs maybe half a dozen times in the past 3 years... my husband uses that site much more than me. For the most part good experiences.

23. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

That excerpt sounds promising on Qobuz.. I'm surprised that it's in standard CD resolution (16/44) since many of his other recent releases are in hi-res (24/96). Maybe the full release will be in the higher resolution.

24. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

So have I. I've had relatively few problems, but when they have occurred (condition was worse than described, received the wrong recording, etc.) every seller has refunded my money. One took a long time to respond, but when I filed a complaint, he responded right away. It's a good place to sell, too, since they charge a flate rate of 8%, as opposed to Amazon's 30% or more.

DeepFloyd11 likes this.
  25. coopmv

I did not like my MHS (Musical Heritage Society, now defunct) experience as I automatically received selected LP's (mostly recordings licensed from Chandos and Erato) back in the mid to late 80's. The press quality of those LP's was at best mediocre and some sounded like firecrackers with their pops and clicks. I could not be fast enough to quit my membership after some mandatory subscription period. After that, no more mail orders for LP's for me but then CD's started to take off. I have found eBay to be quite good and was able to find a nice used copy of a CD I had not been able to find anywhere else and at a decent price. Discogs no doubt has a more comprehensive selection but I have also noticed it does not have some of my recordings in stock ...