Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Just checked the following box and the Elgar Violin Concerto by Boult and Haendel is not included ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

But it is included in the box below (disc 17):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sambamaster, bluemooze and layman like this.
  3. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, a recent arrival for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD, canzld, Wes H and 1 other person like this.
  4. coopmv

There are two recordings by Boult in my box but they are both choral works and my box actually has 30 CD's ... :confused:

5. mrwolk

mrwolk One and a half ears...no waiting!

Sad news...Ida Haendel use to live in Montreal and was a fixture at many concerts and recitals. I was a radio producer at the time and recorded a lot of recitals for broadcast. At intermission I would wander in the lobby and there would be Ms.Haendel chatting with friends and admirers..I had the odd occasion to chat with her...a lovely, charismatic woman. I will never forget her telling me the story about how much Sibelius liked her performance of his violin concerto. RIP.

Jay hartman, Daedalus, broos and 7 others like this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

First listen to CD 3 from "Lily Laskine - The Complete Erato and HMV Recordings" on Erato.

Jadin - Fantaisie concertante Robert Veyron-Lacroix (piano), Orchestre de chambre Jean-Francois Paillard
    Bochsa - Air irlandais Robert Veyron-Lacroix (piano), Orchestre de chambre Jean-Francois Paillard
    Naderman - Trois Pieces Robert Veyron-Lacroix (piano), Orchestre de chambre Jean-Francois Paillard

Reinecke - Harp Concerto Op. 182 Bamberg Symphony Orchestra / Theodor Guschlbauer

[​IMG]

Daedalus, canzld, Wes H and 1 other person like this.
  7. layman

layman Forum Resident

1st Listen (Disc #1: Thank you @coopmv for the recommendation):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

florandia, canzld and Eigenvector like this.
  8. coopmv

I have the following recording that BIS has labeled as SACD but it is actually a single SACD with 4 hours of Mendelssohn Complete Concertos in stereo ...

[​IMG]

I also have the Hans Fagius Complete Bach Organ Works in 5 SACD's - an average Complete Bach Organ Works should take up 15 - 16 redbook CD's.

[​IMG]

These are the fake SACD's ... :D

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    misterjones, bluemooze and CMT like this.
  9. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

On the turntable this evening... Highlights from Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet. The Cleveland Orchestra / Maazel.
    Recorded in the Masonic Auditorium, Cleveland.

London LP / UK press / 1974

[​IMG]

10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Music to wake-up sleepy ears & brains. Recorded 11/79-9/83, Christuskirche, Berlin. Producers: Eberhard Geiger & Heinz Wegner.
    Balance engineers: Eberhard Hinz, Eberhard Richter & Claus StrĂ¼ben. These are analog recordings & the engineers did a good job. Issued 1996.

11. coopmv

Didn't Maazel take over Cleveland soon after Szell unexpectedly passed away in the late 60's?

12. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

The version I have. Someone posted a disc that included a Stokowski transcription of Dido's Lament and I went in that direction for a while on YouTube. This is the early '70s release, it was originally released in 1964 and if I see that LP I may pick it up because this has a little too much pre-echo, even though the sides aren't that long (27 minutes)

[​IMG]

13. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

Now playing

[​IMG]

14. layman

layman Forum Resident

They are not fake but rather take advantage of one of the iterations of the SACD "Scarlett Book" standard namely Dual (SACD) layer discs (with no CD layer) than can hold 8.5 GB worth of data (compared to the 700 MB of a standard CD).

Most SACDs are Single layer DSD or Dual layer Hybrids (containing both an DSD layer and a CD layer) of 4.7 GB capacity but there is the third type, the Dual layer (non Hybrid) discs with 8.5 GB capacity. They are all part of the "Scarlet Book" set of standards and are all "real" SACDs.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    bluemooze, broos and sambamaster like this.
  15. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

A mere 'like' is not enough for your post about Ida Haendel. So glad you posted your memory of a wonderful artist.

bluemooze and canzld like this.
  16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

George Szell died on July 30, 1970 aged 73, from bone marrow cancer, so his death wasn't unexpected. He was succeeded by Pierre Boulez, who was the orchestra's musical advisor until 1972, when Lorin Maazel became musical director.

cartologist, Wes H, Daedalus and 2 others like this.
  17. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

On the turntable

[​IMG]

bluemooze, florandia, Wes H and 4 others like this.
  18. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I have the Double Decca CD of the full performance, really excellent. I also have the Decca fatboy of Prokofiev's Cinderella from 1983 - same orchestra, same venue, but under the baton of Ashkenazy.

Russian Ballet - come for the Tchaikovsky, stay for the Prokofiev.

(Must add I find the "Record Imported from England" badge rather funny on a ballet recorded in Ohio!)

19. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

thanks for the response! someone else also posted a theory that the revision was actually just an SACD update to same mastering. But I can confirm for titles I possess, I have hybrid SACDs of both the original and "RE-1". I intend to listen to both critically. But being fully honest, I'm somewhat of a novice with classical music. I'm not familiar enough with the pieces that I would pick up on a variant, unless it was something so obvious that it would've already been pointed out by searching here and other forums. (Which I did that and found nothing). Not to mention the variant could only be on 1 of the 3 layers of the disc.

ubertrout likes this.
  20. broos

broos Senior Member

Finally arrived this book The Symphonies Of Gustav Mahler, A Critical Discography by Lewis M. Smoley, first published in 1986.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This book contains the discography till 1986.

In 1996 followed volume 2.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, florandia, crispi and 4 others like this.
  21. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

More Mackerras Mozart has hit the doormat - 25, 28 & 29, and 40 & 41.

[​IMG]

Opting to start with the Little G Minor rather than the Great one.

HowardLive, bluemooze, crispi and 6 others like this.
  22. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

To start off this foggy morning:[​IMG]

23. Daedalus

This box set arrived yesterday. [​IMG]

bluemooze, layman, canzld and 2 others like this.
  24. Daedalus

One more from the Monteux box:[​IMG]

bluemooze, layman and canzld like this.
  25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident