Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

They're not really what i consider crossover artists as such - thats more like what people such as Yo-Yo Ma try to do, IMO. Here they made decisions to go the dark side have a career in light entertainment rather than classical music. And given the reputedly cut throat nature of the classical business, with limited opportunities around, I can't say I blame them.

HowardLive and bruce2 like this.
  2. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

2CELLOS is another particularly egregious example of the sort I meant, and which I've recently been exposed to.

And please bear in mind I use the term 'exposed' in the same sense I would for exposure to radiation. :oops:

HowardLive and canzld like this.
  3. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

Listening to CD10
    Mussorgsky (Pictures) and Ravel (Valses)
    Sinopoli with the New York Phil
    [​IMG]

4. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

That is another one...

5. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

Well Galway or Stoltzman, for example, were able to do some popular music keeping their integrity.

sambamaster likes this.
  6. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

Well, my wife and our friends had a great time (and the rest of the screaming crowd) and all I lost was my sanity o_O

....or maybe i meant - my dignity

TonyACT likes this.
  7. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

And what about this one?

[​IMG]

8. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

Ouch. Harsh. There's a big market for this kind of classical-related music, so why not play it. A lot of people like this stuff and more power to them. Its all just entertainment in the end.

9. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

Cool. Pop music sung by a pop singer.

10. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

[​IMG]

Testing out the second replacement CD player with an old favorite - sounding fantastic.

The player is a new model after the first replacement was also faulty - the whole sorry tale is on the hardware forum.

mBen989, canzld, Daedalus and 2 others like this.
  11. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Some nice complete RCA boxes from both of them.

canzld and sambamaster like this.
  12. sambamaster

sambamaster Forum Resident

If you are gonna post this sort of thing, you oughta post the real deal from Salvador, Bahia, Brasil...these guys in this videos are rank amateurs. Groups similar to this are all over the USA also, and are routinely awful compared to the Bahian guys! (I've worked with Brazilian music since 1976...)

TonyACT likes this.
  13. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "Dangerous Graces - Music by Cipriano de Rore and his pupils" performed by Musica Secreta on Linn.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Complicated messes involving illness and cars failing MOTs leaves me working from my in-laws today, while everyone else looks after the kids. First proper listening time in days, so time to break out the Nielsen for a first dedicated listen. Thankfully I brought my good headphones with me!

[​IMG]

Nielsen Symphonies 1 & 6, Blomstedt/SFS.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  15. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Nielsen Symphony #1 roundly enjoyed - decided to hold off jumping onto #6 as I understand it's a bit trickier for the newcomer.

Trying out another charity shop find:

[​IMG]

Strangely, the single CD version of this I found only seems to exist as a promo (with the rather charming disc code of NIPPER 1). When it went to production it was it bundled into a 2CD version with some earlier (and apparently less essential) Ravel pieces.

I have some of Giulini's opera works, but never tried him for orchestral pieces.

vanhooserd, canzld, layman and 6 others like this.
  16. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

Next up, another Charity Shop find - an old (possibly French? ) early 90s EMI Fatboy of the Kempe/Dresden recordings of some of Strauss' tone poems. I understand these sessions are something of a reference recording, much re-released.

[​IMG]

The only Strauss I had previously is the HvK Rosenkavalier, with which I've struggled to find much of a foothold.

vanhooserd, Wugged, canzld and 6 others like this.
  17. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

[​IMG]

Next test for the new player, my favorite version of the Requiem.

Much better clarity of sound.

And what can I say, I'm a von Karajan fanboy ;)

18. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This is my CD box set of Nielsen:[​IMG]

19. Daedalus

I guess I must be as well. After all was said and done, I actually bought the mega box of all Karajan boxes-which I like to call the boat anchor sarcastically. But does it contain a wealth of stunningly great music? Yes. Would I ever sell it? No. ( Of course being the “thrifty” buyer-I found an new open box return to purchase from one of the well-known online CD sellers at considerable discount a few months after the set was released).

canzld, crispi and TonyACT like this.
  20. Daedalus

I am too lazy to read all posts-what make of CD player?

TonyACT likes this.
  21. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Long story as short as I can make it. I bought a Rotel CD-11 a few months back to replace an ancient Harmon Kardon which had begun to skip tracks.

Nice sound, but (very randomly) it would stop playing and not restart until I ejected the CD and put it back in the player.

So the dealer replaced it. Same thing. Tech support thinks it was a batch with faulty firmware.

New today, a Rotel CD-14 (I paid the difference in price). The sound is noticeably better and the unit feels more solid.

22. Daedalus

I have an Rotel phono stage( switchable between MM/MC-it is about 20+ years old and, knock on wood , doing fine).

TonyACT likes this.
  23. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

24. Sunburst Finish

Sunburst Finish Forum Resident

A.) Try your best to resist the temptation to provide me with advice and guidance as to what I should or should not post - it's presumptuous of you to elect yourself as a content editor and I bitterly - bitterly -resent it...

B.) I don't care about the "guys" in the video - the babes are pretty fab-looking though...

C.) Wake up the dormant sense of humour - the video wasn't the point of the post - "based on a riff from Mozart's "Konzert für brasilianisches Schlagzeug" - which is non-existent - was the point...

D.) Referring to them as "rank" amateurs and "this sort of thing" is gratuitously insulting to people who are trying to do their best to do that which they love to do... and they seem to be thoroughly enjoying themselves whilst doing so... "Snark" is not a virtue especially directed towards someone who can't defend themselves and so I'll step in and do it for them - "What exactly have you done with your life that is so much more significant than what they have done with theirs?"...

E.) I don't care about "Bahian guys" or any other"guys"... "Bahian babes" or "babes" of any kind are a different story...

F.) Seriously... put me on "ignore" or whatever the procedure is here because I'm "gonna post this sort of thing" whether I "oughta" or not...

25. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

The Kempe Strauss is rather splendid - but headphone listening reveals a few single-channel dropouts on the master tape. Not sure early EMI CDs always took care to find the best tapes - I had the original CD of the Giulini Don Giovanni, which was hissier than a wax cylinder recording of a bag full of snakes, and I say that as someone who is very no-noise averse.

I know you all love your box sets - does anyone have the most recent Warner Classics Kempe/Strauss box?

[​IMG]

The packaging states "Remastered in 2013 from newly discovered original tapes". However, it seems a bit under-reviewed, probably because the same content has been re-issued so many times.

It's just under £20 on Amazon UK, and my employer has randomly given all employees a £20 Amazon voucher today as a fillip to pandemic-weary staff...

bluemooze and layman like this.