Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:edthumbs:

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  2. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

A new SACD arrival...

Brahms: Piano Concertos; Mozart: Piano Concertos Nos. 19 & 20
    Cleveland Orchestra (Brahms); Columbia Symphony Orchestra (Mozart)
    George Szell, cond.
    Rudolf Serkin, piano
    Sony JPN

[​IMG]

I imagine (hope) this is last version of these performances I'll add to my collection. I already a) have too many versions of these recordings (at least four?) and b) have entirely too much Brahms in general!

At least until the 48bit-10GHz streaming direct neural link format arrives, that is...

3. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my JS Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Starwanderer, CMT and 4 others like this.
  4. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Silvestre Revueltas - Orchestral Music: La Noche De Los Mayas; Sensemayá; La Coronela - Aguascalientes SO, Enrique Barrios - recorded 2001

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Just received a few dozen free LPs from someone who was once in radio - virtually unplayed (some unopened) classical LP which I got to pick through for just the stuff I like (some of the regular canon, but mostly 20th century stuff).

Just listening now to a DG recording of Bernstein's Symphonic Dances from West Side Story, with the great composer's protege Ozawa conducting the San Francisco Symphony.

Wow! Not so much the quality playing and recording, but it is nice to hear MINT VINYL!

I have overplayed my old few dozen favourite records so much, none of them are anywhere near mint anymore. I have forgotten how much of a difference it makes!

Most of my purchases of new vinyl are of my favourite rock, jazz and pop recordings. Because they, while not cheap, are at least affordable to me.

The classical reissues of my favourite recordings have INSANE prices (especially for us poor Canuckistanians). Don't companies like Analogue Productions know they will make MORE money if they charge less and ship more units?

End of rant. Time to flip the LP!

ToddBD, peter1, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  6. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I’m holding out for analog streaming...

HiResGeek likes this.
  7. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

Tchaikovsky night on the turntable
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Alberto Ginastera - Glosses On Themes Of Pablo Casals; Variaciones Concertantes - LSO, Israel Chamber Orch., Gisèle Ben-Dor - 1995

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I just listened to Penderecki's Piano Concerto played by Barry Douglas with Pendercki conducting the National Polish Radio Symphony--couldn't find an image. I think this is the original version...he revised a bit and Douglas recorded again with Antoni Wit on the Naxos label. I like the Polish one more--it's a little more intense.

10. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

11. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable:
    Mozart / Richard Strauss - Heinz Holliger, New Philharmonia Orchestra, Edo de Waart ‎– Oboe Concertos
    Philips ‎– 6500 174

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, canzld, bluemooze and 7 others like this.
  12. coopmv

He was the best oboist of his generation and I have many of his recordings on Philips, both LP and CD.

lwh1 and CMT like this.
  13. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following twofer from my JS Bach collection ...

[​IMG]

14. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: Still going through recent $1 used record store purchases. Six more to go after this....

Joseph Jongen - Cécile Müller ‎– Untitled
    Pavane Records ‎– ADW 7129. A 1983 release

[​IMG]

15. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: A 1982 release
    Samuel Barber, Ruth Laredo ‎– Piano Sonata; Souvenirs; Nocturne (Homage to John Field)
    Nonesuch Digital ‎– D-79032

[​IMG]

16. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This morning some more Serkin. [​IMG]

17. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD. Warhorse Wednesday!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

I'm going through an inherited Classical collection of a few hundred albums. In addition to a lot of Deutsche Grammophon (majority of the collection), Decca, BIS, Swedish Discofil Society and RCA, I find a bunch of albums released on Turnabout. What is the general opionon about the Turnabout releases. Are they worth digging into?

The task of cleaning, sorting and reviewing this collection is almost overwhelming, since my knowledge is quite limited and I try to get a grip on what to look for.

bluemooze likes this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "Rimur" performed by Trio Mediaeval & Arve Henriksen on ECM.

Chants, hymns, folk songs and improvisations based on Icelandic, Norwegian and Swedish sources.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

canzld, Pétrouchka and Jamsterdammer like this.
  20. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I have that LP. Despite being mono, I still think it is one of the very best Diabelli Variations.

canzld, bluemooze and Daedalus like this.
  21. layman

layman Forum Resident

I can never have too much Brahms!

We waited 21 years for this release. I would say it was worth the wait! It features an excellent remastering from Andreas K. Meyer and his team at Swan Studios New York. The recording has never sounded better.

As much as I love this recording, I am still waiting for an SACD version of Richter's recording of Brahms 2nd Piano Concerto with Leinsdorf and Rubinstein's recording of the same piece with Krips , a re-print of Curzon's recording of Brahms 1st Piano Concerto with Szell and Fleischer's recording of both the Concerti with Szell. I just can't get enough Brahms!

22. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

Would love to see the Richter #2 on SACD, and Fleisher in both concertos. Add hi-res versions of Reiner/Gilels and Anda/Fricsay in #2 and I’ll be a happy man.
    I’m lucky enough to have a copy of the Curzon/Szell #1 SACD. It’s a real shame all these discs only get limited runs before going OOP and subsequently costing a small fortune...

layman likes this.
  23. layman

layman Forum Resident

I agree it's unfortunate that all SACDs only get limited runs. We have to get them while we can!

24. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

25. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Turnabout was a part of Vox Records. Vox was a budget label. Many excellent recordings/performances were issued on these labels .

Wes H and Andy Pandy like this.