Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

The Brahms and Lalo are in the “Milestones” box I posted about above

layman, TonyACT and HiResGeek like this.
  2. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Galina Ustvolskaya - Symphonies 2, 3, 4 & 5 - Ural PO, Dmitri Liss, St. Petersburg Soloists, Oleg Malov - recorded 1999, 1994

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Very intense performances but the sound could be a little richer. Hyperion can be a bit hit or miss these days.

[​IMG]

4. Jamsterdammer

Can't see the image.

5. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I just fixed it...can you see it now?

6. Jamsterdammer

Yep! Thanks. Love Medtner's Sonata Romantica. Shame that the sound is less than optimal.

7. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

It's not bad--just a little thin and metallic--the latter could be a voicing preference. The mics seem to be pretty far away, so maybe closer placement would add some body to the sound. Anyway, he plays the hell out of the pieces!

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  8. Jamsterdammer

Now playing: Steve Reich - Four Organs - Bang On A Can, Evan Ziporyn, Lisa Moore, Mark Stewart, Michael Gordon, James Preiss - recorded 1970

From CD 1 of this set:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and Starwanderer like this.
  9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    MS 6217, issued 1960. Recorded 12/27/59, Broadwood Hotel, Philadelphia. Producer: Thomas Frost. 70s pressing. Topps was a chain of discount & department stores.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Carlos B, bluemooze, Daedalus and 4 others like this.
  10. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

You didn’t ask me but I’m a pretty big fan of Gubaidulina. As @Jamsterdammer rightfully pointed out, there are no box sets dedicated to her music. Her discography in general is a bit of a mess as it’s all over the place: BIS, Chandos, Deutsche Grammophon, ECM et. al.

Here are some important Gubaidulina recordings for me:

[​IMG]

This recording is especially fine as it contains a remarkable, atmospheric performance of Sieben Worte, which, for me, is one of her masterpieces.

[​IMG]

@Jamsterdammer mentioned the SQs, but performed by the Stamic Quartet, which is excellent, but I suggest this 2-CD set as it also contains the String Trio, Piano Quintet and Reflections on the theme B-A-C-H. Also, all of these performances are top-notch. I really like the Quatuor Molinari’s work in general. Great ensemble.

[​IMG]

Fachwerk is the piece that hooked me on Gubaidulina’s music. I won’t say anymore other than check out this recording.

[​IMG]

This recording is outstanding all-around. Great pieces. Canticle of the Sun has been recorded quite a bit, but this EMI performance is the one to beat. Music for Flute, Strings and Percussion is a must-hear Gubaidulina work.

[​IMG]

Here’s another mandatory purchase not only for Gubaidulina’s incredible Viola Concerto but for Kancheli’s Styx as well.

Anyway, I think this should keep you busy for awhile. ;)

11. Mirror Image

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - The Complete Recordings [Disc 3]

[​IMG]

12. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Issued 1960. No. 8 recorded 3/3/58, St. George Hotel, Brooklyn, NY. No. 5 recorded 2/28-29 & 3/3, 1960, American Legion Hall, Hollywood, CA. By the 1960 sessions Walter had had a heart attack & wanted to record at home in L.A. The recordings were spread over more sessions to reduce the stress on the conductor. Producer: John McClure. My copy has the first version of the 2-eye label, with the "360 Sound" Stereo in black instead of white print & no outward pointing arrows at the ends. This variation replaced the 6-eye label in 1962 & lasted until the fall of 1963.

Nipper, Runicen, layman and 7 others like this.
  13. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have the following Haydn Nelson Mass ...

[​IMG]

14. Mirror Image

NP:

Annie-Sophie Mutter/John Williams: Across The Stars

[​IMG]

Absolutely exquisite.

15. Scourge

Scourge The Contagion in Nine Steps

My god I can be so dumb sometimes. It just hit me like a lightning bolt that I actually have Gubaidulina’s "Chaconne" on Clare Hammond's Variations album (which is great btw) and it kind of blew me away because I'd never heard of her before that!
    [​IMG]

16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I had to join the club! I love this work. The Bach Violin Concerto No.2 makes an odd coupling, but I think it works.

[​IMG]

John S, Carlos B, bluemooze and 6 others like this.
  17. Mirror Image

Very nice, indeed. I know this work and I have at least two recordings with Gubaidulina’s solo piano works.

TonyACT likes this.
  18. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable:
    Walter Carlos – The Well-Tempered Synthesizer
    Columbia Masterworks – MS 7286

[​IMG]

19. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Spinning now, a very pleasant piece composed in 1767 - nicely played and recorded:

[​IMG]

This was originally on Capriccio, now owned by Naxos. Interestingly all but three of the 28 CDs in the box are licenced from Naxos.

Runicen, Carlos B, bluemooze and 4 others like this.
  20. Daedalus

Ok. I am spinning this CD as I type. From the “Shaping the Century” box set which I have not fully explored yet. Intriguing to listen to this I must say. It builds up and becomes very intricate. Very contemplative music. [​IMG]

21. Daedalus

Join the club!

TonyACT likes this.
  22. Daedalus

Sorry about my lack of thread etiquette. I really meant to ask any and all who were speaking Gabaidulina. Thank you for your helpful information! As I listen to her “ Offertorium” I think her music may be demanding to be heard by me. I know Rozhdestvensky recorded some of her symphony composition on Chandon several years ago and I may seek a copy. He apparently debuted(?) this music in Moscow in even earlier times. The Chandos session was a revisit to the music.

Mirror Image and TonyACT like this.
  23. flyingdutchman

flyingdutchman Senior Member

Interesting suggestion. I have this set too, but haven't played it in ages. Should dig it out as I love film music.

Mirror Image and TonyACT like this.
  24. Daedalus

Edit above: Gubaidulina.

25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident