Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I've had a lot of problems playing back hi-res files on both of my laptops (an HP and a MacBook), so I thought I'd try ditching a computer altogether and bought an Auralic Aries G1 streamer. Wow, it definitely sounds better without the electronic garbage that a full computer adds to the signal, but only about half of the image covers transferred from the external hard drive. I can still find the recordings I want to play, but having an image of the cover certainly makes it easier. I left a message with the sales person to see if there's a work around.
    [​IMG]

In the meantime, I enjoyed numerous recordings via it today, including this wonderful DSD64 recording. I just thought the sound was realistic before!
    [​IMG]

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have heard and seen the name de Sabata though I have never listened to any of his recordings. He was one of those conductors followed by Karajan when the latter was a young conductor. So his granddaughter is married to none other than JEG ...

TonyACT likes this.
  3. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable:

Vladimir Horowitz – The Horowitz Concerts 1978/79
    RCA Red Seal – ARL1-3433

[​IMG]

4. coopmv

Here is my favorite Rachmaninov's recording ...

[​IMG]

Svetonio, SeeDubs, Daedalus and 5 others like this.
  5. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Found and enjoyed this on YouTube. Issued 1990.

6. coopmv

I have the following CD ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Svetonio, vanhooserd, CMT and 2 others like this.
  7. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: This and the previous four LPs I've posted are all new acquisitions from a thrift store visit today.

Scott Joplin - Joshua Rifkin – Piano Rags, Volume II
    Nonesuch – H-71264

[​IMG]

8. coopmv

Now playing the following CD from my Handel collection ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

:agree:

Daedalus, Eigenvector and TonyACT like this.
  10. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Yeah, I like some Hendrix, Deep Purple, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Morbid Angel, and Miles Davis, but 95% of my listening is classical.

Runicen, ibanez_ax and TonyACT like this.
  11. broos

broos Forum Resident

Often the images need to have a specific name like front.jpg of front.png of cover.jpg of cover.png. Or jpg or PNG files with a file name identical to the album name.

Bachtoven, TonyACT and bluemooze like this.
  12. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Just picked this 6xCD box up at a nearby charity store for AU $15 (~ US $10):

[​IMG]

It has some interesting new music for me; including the Bliss 'Colour Symphony' and Barber's 'Knoxville: Summer of 1915'.

jfeldt, Runicen, Svetonio and 4 others like this.
  13. bluemooze

Listening to "Geminiani - Concerti Grossi Op.7" performed by Cafe Zimmermann on Alpha.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Thanks. I recently found a post in the Auralic Community that mentions that, but what a huge pain to rename some 200+ images! I might try it with one and see what happens. A lot of them seem to have come from Presto Classical. I guess their metadata doesn’t contain the proper format for the cover image.

CMT and TonyACT like this.
  15. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

This is why I like to stick to the actual physical object. :)

Runicen, Bachtoven and TonyACT like this.
  16. coopmv

Here is one of less than a dozen of jazz recordings I have. Some of you even have a big box by Andre Previn and I am much more used to him being a conductor than a jazz musician ... :laugh:

[​IMG]

Svetonio, jɑmbo, TonyACT and 2 others like this.
  17. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm with you, brother! I mainly went to hi-res downloads and streaming since I'm running out of physical storage space. But man, the trade-off is a massive headache dealing with the foibles of the gear. Now, I discovered every time I unplug the external hard drive the streamer disconnects from the network, and I have to go through a time consuming start up procedure again. I think I'll send it back. Yes, it sounds a bit better than my laptops, but this particular unit is not worth the hassles.

18. bluemooze

Listening to "Metamorfosi Trecento - Transformations of Myth in the Ars Nova" performed by La Fonte Musica led by Michele Pasotti on Alpha.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

This is a tiny fragment of what my library looks like! I tried renaming one of the cover images as suggested, but that didn't work. I'm definitely sending it back.
    [​IMG]

20. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Very enjoyable performances of these great symphonies.

Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 3 in A minor, Op. 56, "Scottish"
    Mendelssohn: Symphony No. 4 in A major, Op. 90, "Italian"

Kurt Masur
    Gewandhausorchester Leipzig

[​IMG]

21. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

Prompted by this thread, I'm listening to this (and really enjoying it):

[​IMG]

22. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

I'm listening to J. S. Bach - Lute Suite in E Major BWV 1006a, performing by Evangelina Mascardi.

Runicen, LaBowe, Bachtoven and 5 others like this.
  23. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

My first listening selection for this morning. I have not opened this small box set in quite some time. So-voila! Sounds great. Edit: By the way-the large Monteux box set seems to be commanding outrageous asking prices these days. In any event he remains one of my favorite conductors who always seemed to bring the best performances out of the orchestras he was working with. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have occasionally run into missing cover art - or more often, vanishing cover art, but the great majority of my Presto Classical downloads display properly. I access my music through the Logitech Media Server and JRiver (local and DLNA) with related remote apps.

Bachtoven likes this.
  25. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

To me, he looks like Mel Torme in that photo. :)

I have a lovely of album of Previn leading a jazz trio accompanying Sylvia McNair in songs of Jerome Kern. McNair is one of the few singers (IMHO) who can successfully cross over between classical and jazz/cabaret.

CMT and bluemooze like this.