Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

My first listening selection for this morning. I have not opened this small box set in quite some time. So-voila! Sounds great. Edit: By the way-the large Monteux box set seems to be commanding outrageous asking prices these days. In any event he remains one of my favorite conductors who always seemed to bring the best performances out of the orchestras he was working with. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
  2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have occasionally run into missing cover art - or more often, vanishing cover art, but the great majority of my Presto Classical downloads display properly. I access my music through the Logitech Media Server and JRiver (local and DLNA) with related remote apps.

Bachtoven likes this.
  3. john greenwood

To me, he looks like Mel Torme in that photo. :)

I have a lovely of album of Previn leading a jazz trio accompanying Sylvia McNair in songs of Jerome Kern. McNair is one of the few singers (IMHO) who can successfully cross over between classical and jazz/cabaret.

CMT and bluemooze like this.
  4. Daedalus

My library is over-crowded with CDs, CD box sets, LPs and books so I know what you mean.

TonyACT and Bachtoven like this.
  5. Daedalus

Correction: regarding my post about Mavrinsky yesterday-not a studio recording-but so quiet and free of extraneous sounds ( coughing, etc) that it sounds like it may have been recorded in the Large Hall without an audience. But in any event -a wonderful performance of the Shosty.

TonyACT likes this.
  6. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD from the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra box.

Sergei Prokofiev:
    Classical Symphony (No. 1) In D Major Op. 25

Benjamin Britten:
    Simple Symphony, Op. 4 (For String Orchestra)

Georges Bizet:
    Symphony In C Major

[​IMG]

7. Daedalus

Nice program on that CD.

8. john greenwood

I wrote a long response to your post, which vanished. So here’s the gist. After some time and effort, and subject to Internet foibles, I have a stable system. As of last year, I switched to Naim streamers for serious listening, with minor complaints, but no serious problems. Also I was able to use Ethernet for my connections instead of wi-fi.

TonyACT, Bachtoven and bluemooze like this.
  9. john greenwood

The Bizet is the score for one of my favorite ballets (also called Symphony in C).

At the 38 second mark of this clip watch how the male dancer is dancing to the strings, while the ballerinas are dancing to the horns.

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "Francisco Coll - Violin Concerto / Hidd'n Blue / Mural / Four Iberian Miniatures / Aqua Cinerea" performed by Patricia Kopatchinskaja and the Orchestre Philharmonique du Luxembourg led by Gustavo Gimeno on Pentatone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TonyACT, layman, Svetonio and 5 others like this.
  11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I like Sylvia McNair. She recorded Handel Messiah with Neville Marriner in 92 and made some recordings with Christopher Hogwood and perhaps with JEG as well ...

bluemooze likes this.
  12. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I'm not sure why the Britten symphony is not part of more recordings that feature the Prokofiev and Bizet.

TonyACT and Daedalus like this.
  13. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alkan – Grand Duo Concertant, Op.21 • Sonate De Concert, Op.47 • Piano Trio In G Minor, Op.30 (Trio Alkan)

ibanez_ax, TonyACT, Svetonio and 4 others like this.
  14. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from the following twofer from my Handel collection ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TonyACT, CMT, LaBowe and 2 others like this.
  15. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

I don't think I've ever actually listened to the Tchaikovsky piano sonata before. I'm very much enjoying it and a bit surprised that it isn't played more often.

Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No. 2 in G major, Op. 44
    Tchaikovsky: Piano Sonata No. 1 in G major, Op. 37, "Grand Sonate"

Elisabeth Leonskaja (piano)
    Kurt Masur
    Gewandhausorchester Leipzig

[​IMG]

ibanez_ax, TonyACT, Svetonio and 5 others like this.
  16. coopmv

From the Masur big box?

17. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from the following twofer from my Handel collection ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Covers nearly always work from PC when I use either laptop--it's the Auralic Streamer that is so fussy!

john greenwood likes this.
  19. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm sorry it got lost. Naim only plays up to DSD 128--I have quite a few DSD256 files. I can't use Ethernet unless we have a dedicated line run from the router in the back of the house to living room. I looked into one a few years ago--even then I was quoted around $700, and I'm sure it hasn't gotten cheaper! At some point we might have two additional A.C. outlets installed--one where the router is located and in the living room, then I can buy an Ethernet extender. Until then, my MacBook is the least problematic way to go.

john greenwood likes this.
  20. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Discs like this keep me from moving on to my many other boxes. This was in my main CD player for a week after its first play. The same happened with their Copland disc.

Daedalus, TonyACT and ibanez_ax like this.
  21. coopmv

Now playing CD17, the last CD from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ibanez_ax, Daedalus, TonyACT and 7 others like this.
  22. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Spectacular in multichannel.

CMT and bluemooze like this.
  23. Daedalus

24. coopmv

Finally completed listening to this excellent box for a first pass after having owned it for a number of years. On looking up the Wikipage on Maria Joao Pires, her Chopin Nocturnes recording was considered the best version by Gramophone. I have some 15 versions of these works and versions by Arrau and Morawec are superb IMHO as well. Now playing CD1 from the following DG twofer for a second listen ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TonyACT, layman, CMT and 6 others like this.
  25. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. I'm always looking for good new composers and hadn't heard of Coll before. Listening to this now on Spotify. Really interesting music!

I love that his music sounds very fresh and contemporary without being overly dissonant and ugly...and as much as I love the minimalists, it's refreshing to see a young composer doing something quite different.

TonyACT, layman and bluemooze like this.