Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    1976 reissue compilation New World Records NW 277, a product of the Anthology of American Music, Inc. The public library used to have quite a few LPs in this series.

2. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Just enjoyed another in my recent acquisition of Gade's Symphonies.
    As much as I have come to appreciate both his other symphonies, and Hogwoods interpretations of them, I was still quite unprepared for how captivated I was by the First. I don't know if that will always be the case, but initial listen was nothing short of spectacular.

[​IMG]

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Will New World Records end up releasing an original jacket CD box like Westminster? Just curious ...

4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Curiosity, jɑmbo, ibanez_ax and 4 others like this.
  5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Intense but beautiful music. Their playing is spectacular, and the sound is good if a little too spacious.
    [​IMG]

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Nice. :righton:

Jerquee likes this.
  7. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Who knows? They issued CDs in the 90s & into the early 2000s, but seem to have gone quiet since then.

8. TOCJ-4091

TOCJ-4091 Senior Member

Now listening to the Haydn. I think the sound quality is quite good actually. I’m only 4 discs into the box and have no complaints so far — but I have read that some folks had minor sonic issues with a few discs (but they didn’t identify the titles. Hmmm). If I happen to come across anything that seems really ‘off’ I’ll let ya know.

[​IMG]

jɑmbo, ibanez_ax, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  9. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Two more Keyboard Immortals LPs made from piano rolls.

10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Composers Recordings, Inc. CRI SD 394, issued 1978. The Rorem work (1977) is for flute & guitar, here played by Herbert Levine. The Cowell (1930) is with piano (Anita Gordon), while the Françaix (1962) is for unaccompanied flute. Producer: Carter Harman. Recorded 8/76 by Stan Tonkel (Piston) & 5/78 by Chuck Irwin (others). Tonkel worked for Columbia Records & Irwin had his own studio, C.I. Recording Studios, so I assume the tracks were recorded at those studios in N.Y.C.

11. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Mahler:
    Symphony No. 4
    Soprano Vocals [Boy Soprano] – Helmut Wittek
    Leonard Bernstein, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Symphonies spread over two discs is the price you pay for the (low) price you pay, so a few minutes of tagging work in JRiver makes each symphony self contained, even the ones that are longer than 80 minutes.

[​IMG]

Wes H, Curiosity, jɑmbo and 6 others like this.
  12. WyldRage

WyldRage Forum Resident

1st listen

[​IMG]

I was intrigued by the Music of John Adams since I've listened his Portrait by Angèle Dubeau & La Pietà (a series of albums with string or stings and piano covers of Contemporary composers, like Glass, Adams, Part).

[​IMG]

I was browsing Prestomusic for Johan Adams albums and I fell on this Berliner Philharmoniker edition with pieces I was looking for (Harmonielhere and City Noir). It's listed for $35 CAD, so I checked the price of the physical edition ($199!) and on 7digital, where it was only $10.99 CAD!

bluemooze, jɑmbo and Jamsterdammer like this.
  13. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

The Berliner Philharmoniker editions are all really expensive. They come nicely packaged, and usually include a choice of downlosds. But compared to other Orchestra's own labels (like RCO or LSO) they seem poor value for money.

14. coopmv

Volume one is no longer available but the remaining volumes are. Not clear if Chandos will release a box as I have the following box ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze, ibanez_ax and Fischman like this.
  15. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

16. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Ernest Bloch - Four Episodes; Two Poems; Concertino; Suite Modale - Noam Buchman, Yuri Gandelsman, Soloists of the Israel PO, Slovak RSO, Atlas Camerata Orch. - recorded 2005, 2006, 2001

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bluemooze and ibanez_ax like this.
  17. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Now playing: Gian Francesco Malipiero - Piano Concertos 1, 2 & 3 - Sandro Ivo Bartoli, RSO Saarbrücken, Michele Carulli - recorded 2005

From this set:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

layman, bluemooze and ibanez_ax like this.
  18. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which just arrived yesterday for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@john greenwood, No luck with Smithson String Quartet for Beethoven but managed to find this Haydn, brand-new CD at a good price ...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
  19. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Another Mahler 9, this time Boulez. His usual clarity lays the score bare, and I think I might need to hear it again (preferably on headphones) before moving on. (The final movement was interrupted by family arriving home early).

I have the white DG box, but I'm posting the original cover, just because I liked this series of covers so much.

[​IMG]

Wes H, bluemooze, SeeDubs and 6 others like this.
  20. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

CD.

Bartok:
    Concerto for Orchestra
    Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta
    Hungarian Sketches

Fritz Reiner/Chicago SO

[​IMG]

21. Jethro B Good

Jethro B Good Senior Member

22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

23. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Tchaikovsky's Manfred continues to be one of my favourite symphonies, and this is probably my favourite performance of it. Even though it's his longest symphony, it never feels too long or overwrought.

Tchaikovsky: Manfred Symphony, Op. 58

Riccardo Muti
    Philharmonia Orchestra

[​IMG]

Wes H, Curiosity, Pétrouchka and 4 others like this.
  24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I love Henze's "The Royal Winter Music." Bream requested that Henze write a guitar equivalent of Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" Sonata. Be careful what you wish for... :)

[​IMG]

Jamsterdammer and bluemooze like this.
  25. jɑmbo

jɑmbo Forum Resident

Wanted to listen to something new, so CD 72 from the mammoth Brilliant Classics Mozart Edition. A gorgeous piece played beautifully.

Mozart: Divertimento for String Trio in E flat major, K. 563

François Fernandez (violin)
    Ryo Terakado (viola)
    Rainer Zipperling (cello)

[​IMG]