Listenin' To Country Music & Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ando here, Mar 5, 2019.

1. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

GS had one of the best song titles too, ‘she’s acting single and I’m drinking doubles’, that’s up there with Jerry Reed’s ‘she got the goldmine and I got the shaft’ - classic country y’all...

RSteven likes this.
  2. george nadara

george nadara Forum Resident

Keith Whitley 30th Anniversary Memorial Concert...

[​IMG]

3. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. I think Gary would've had a significant career resurgence if he'd lived just a little longer. It's easy to take it for granted when an artist tours regularly, but Gary used to play some very intimate venues which added to the experience. I miss getting to see him play, but we're fortunate that so much of his back catalog has been kept in print and is available on CD.
    [​IMG]
    Gary's RSD 2018 release

"Five years before “She’s Acting Single (I’m Drinking Doubles)”, future King Of The Honky Tonks’ Gary Stewart was a staff writer at Forrest Hills Music and cutting mostly unsuccessful singles for Kapp and Decca records. In 1970, Jobette Music, the publishing arm of Motown, travelled to Nashville in hopes of getting more country artists to record their songs. Gary was hired as a demo singer to record them in a country style. The tapes were thought to be lost until Roy Dea heard the tape and began his long pursuit to get Gary a record deal, which he eventually did at RCA, where he produced Gary’s biggest hits. The tapes were thought to be lost until recently, and have never been released or heard before."

4. melstapler

During the late 1990s, I went to the Broken Spoke and saw a new artist named Kevin Fowler perform. For a self-released album, he had written and recorded a song called 'Beer Bait & Ammo,' which I told him sounded like a George Jones song. Fowler said that people were always telling him that and you could tell he was flattered by the comparison.
    [​IMG]
    Just a photo of Fowler, no rude comments about modern country hat acts.

In 2006, Jones released his own version of the song. Not long after this, Jones released a couple duets with Fowler. Unfortunately, Fowler became more of a regional hat act more in favor of the modern country sounds (rowdy rock, beach songs, overly sensitive ballads attempting to relate to the lowest common denominator) than anything else. His later albums never appealed to me, although The Possum did a terrific job with the song.
    [​IMG]

The George Jones version of 'Beer Bait & Ammo' can be found on the "All Gone Fishin" CD from 2006. This compilation features fishing-themed songs interpreted by other artists such as Merle Haggard, Jerry Reed and Bobby Bare.

5. Hurakan

Hurakan Forum Resident

6. Hurakan

Hurakan Forum Resident

7. rodentraiser

rodentraiser Well-Known Member

Even though I consider myself an old rock and roller, I like some - not a lot - of the old country music, like Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Hank Williams, etc. But here's one I wonder how many people have heard. This is from John Kay, of metal rock genre. I don't think he does a half bad version of this.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    John B Good and Hurakan like this.
  8. rodentraiser

rodentraiser Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this is considered country, bluegrass, or hillbilly, but I thought I'd throw it in. These ladies will be coming to Seattle in July and I want to see them. I have two of their CDs and I love them!

Hurakan likes this.
  9. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

1972 Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Grand Ole Opry Song

10. Hurakan

Hurakan Forum Resident

11. The Killer

Gotta say they missed a trick not having Stoney Edwards on that Fishing CD.

Record Rotator and melstapler like this.
  12. melstapler

What a great song! Years after his passing, Stoney still doesn't receive the recognition he rightfully deserves. Hopefully Bear Family or a competent reissue label will release his entire back catalog including even the final recordings he made later in life.

GerryO and The Killer like this.
  13. melstapler

'The One I Love The Most' is an enjoyable song written by Gene Dobbins and recorded in Nashville with top session players by country artist John Hogan. Around the same time during the 1990s, both Freddy Fender/Texas Tornados and John Hogan released enjoyable versions of the Dobbins composition. Hogan's version maintains a strong traditional country flavor similar to Alan Jackson and is distinctly different from the soulful Tex-Mex version on the "4 Aces" album by Texas Tornados.

Record Rotator and rkt88 like this.
  14. The Killer

Yeah a BGO or Morello four-fer would be a start. Actually I'm going to email them.

melstapler likes this.
  15. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

oh, heck yeah.

melstapler likes this.
  16. The Killer

Another great singer get with a woeful selection of albums in print.

RSteven and melstapler like this.
  17. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

earl giving steve a lesson on live tv. all in all, everyone was redeemed. it helps to learn from the best.

melstapler and PhantomStranger like this.
  18. melstapler

'Dallas' is an enjoyable song by Alan Jackson where the woman's name is Dallas. He's had so many great singles, this is one of many. I do recall an official music video for this song, but couldn't find it in the search.

Record Rotator and RSteven like this.
  19. Hurakan

Hurakan Forum Resident

20. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I had an LP with this and other country songs on it. What on earth is a Salty Dog anyway?

melstapler and RSteven like this.
  21. Hurakan

Hurakan Forum Resident

22. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

23. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Meyer is more bluegrass, but she cut this album in 1982 for Adelphi and it is stone classic country. This is the title track, with an assist from Emmylou Harris

Tjazz likes this.
  24. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Can I like this a few more times?

25. Hurakan

Hurakan Forum Resident