Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

NP
    Whistle Stop
    Kenny Dorham (T) w
    Mobley (TS)
    Drew (P)
    Chambers ((B)
    PJ Jones (D)

WP
    Outback
    Joe Farrell TS , SS , F
    Corea (p)
    E Jones (D)
    B Williams (B)
    Airto (Perc)

[​IMG]

3. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Bobby, my man! Hello, and thank you for that post. You're not off the mark at all.

This is how we learn to share the passion for jazz we're all $uffering from. :)

(Thanks again, Lon, for starting this thread.)

Great post... I'll give Monk another try, of course, with it in mind.

4. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Kenny Dorham could do no wrong. There. I said it. :cool:

5. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Playing Cecil Taylor, now (I'm obviously alone in the house :)).

"Of What," from Looking Ahead (1958).

Extremely bold for that time period. Right, @dennis the menace?

[​IMG]

6. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Yes you could say that I ... a-Dor-ham... very much

Six String likes this.
  7. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

O.M.G. Stu! :laugh:

Stu02 likes this.
  8. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

Archtop, bluemooze, SJR and 12 others like this.
  9. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Les Baxter - Jewels of the Sea (Titillating Orchestrations for Listening and Loving)

Fun aquatic-themed exotica.

[​IMG]

10. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

I’m getting kind of a Nicky Kidman offa that pic.

Yesternow and xybert like this.
  11. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

One of my faves.

Jacline likes this.
  12. Spinnin Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue. A Music Matters 33 I scored on the forum :agree:

Feel like I need a cigar and a scotch. But this beer and some of CO’s finest will suffice :D

13. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

I KNEW I needed this album, and after watching this clip, now it's totally confirmed:

Ambrose Akinmusire, Origami Harvest (2018).

I can't believe this. Thank you, @chervokas, for pushing me in the right (and only) direction this year's jazz had to go.

Excellent. The future!

14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Around where I live, the many public libraries are receiving many donations of CD collections, which they promptly put out on sale for 50 cents to $1, even for multi-CD sets. The type of folks that donate to public libraries often have interesting taste. Jazz, folk, blues, world, classical and many other styles.

Every day there may be more.

Check out your public libraries.

[​IMG]

15. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

She kind of reminds me of Sofia Vergara.

bluejimbop likes this.
  16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I can't tell you how enthralled I was when I first heard this record. Really, I was enraptured. I listened to it over and over for a couple of days, then told everyone about it who I met. Actually I was back stage at a rock concert with a friend of mine who is a film director and his friend who is the leader of this pretty famous band, and the guy was kind of moaning about how there's no interesting new albums and I was talking up this record, but I don't if I quite piqued his interest, though I think I got his wife interested. And I think the trailer video is as almost as enthralling as the record. Anyway, after talking it up to everybody, I kind of gave up, the record didn't seem to be inspiring quite the same reaction in others that I had, so I'm really glad it caught your interest. It's a great album.

lschwart and Jacline like this.
  17. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Shunzo Ohno - Dreamer

[​IMG]

18. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

There’s a certain spirit to older jazz music that just can’t be emulated or copied. There’s just so much heart in this music. Of course, this isn’t to discount what has come later. I dig so much of what was released on labels like ECM, Nonesuch, etc., but I always return to jazz of the late 40s up to the early 70s. There’s just something about this particular time period in jazz that I’m so attracted to.

Yesternow, bluejimbop and Jacline like this.
  19. Mirror Image

Kenny Dorham: Quiet Kenny (RVG remaster)

[​IMG]

Certainly Dorham was one of the greats. Marvelous playing from all involved.

20. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

This is maybe the most under appreciated -- certainly among the least talked about around here -- Monk releases. His first recordings for Prestige and a late trio date put together to make the 12" album. The first appearances of so many crucial Monk compositions -- Blue Monk and Monk's Dream and Bye-Ya and Sweet and Lovely and Little Rootie Tootie and Trinkle Tinkle and Reflections and Bemsha Swing. And Monk at his most percussive and forceful as a pianist. This goes up there with the Blue Note sides, the '57 studio quartet recordings with Coltrane, and the two solo sessions for Riverside as my favorite Monk (though there's plenty of other Monk I love too).

21. Mirror Image

Monk’s Prestige albums seem to be ignored or just not spoken about much for no good reason. I love everything he did on Prestige. It’s just too bad he didn’t record more music for the label.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  22. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

John Coltrane - Interplay (disc 1)

[​IMG]

23. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Personally, I'm always impatiently waiting for what Ambrose A. will do next. And Origami is the perfect album to end this year.

chervokas likes this.
  24. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Prestige did such a crummy job. The just banged out the sessions, then put 'em out on 10" LPs and at least those were kind of sensible, then cobbled stuff together for 12" often mixing and matching stuff from different dates into records that really aren't terrible coherent. At least this one has all the Prestige trio sides, although they are different groups recorded years apart. I'm not as fond of the other Monk Prestige dates as I am of the trio sides. But the trio sides are primo, crucial Monk.

25. Mirror Image

I guess I’m biased --- I love it all. :shrug: