Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Listened these last days. Sassy accompanied by various line ups (orchestras and combos) during the period between 1954 and 1958.

[​IMG]

2. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I own it. Awesome album: one of the most inspired live recordings extracted from Montreux Jazz Festival: no concession to spectacularity; Corea quite sober; Henderson on fire.; Peacock and Haynes much more than a solid rhythm section.

Yesternow likes this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

John Coltrane "Ballads" Impulse Japanese Platinum SHM-CD.

[​IMG]

I needed a chill pill. This does it.

4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

When I read 'Americana jazz' it made me think of dawg music, but this doesn't sound all that much like that, though there is some nice mandolin playing.

I'd call myself a casual fan of Frisell, I haven't heard but a fraction of what he's done, but I like all of what I've heard. I first discovered him through a (now relegated to off-topic for buggy photo links) telecaster players thread I started a couple of years back. Anyone who 'gets it' enough to play Dark Star>Comes a Time is worth checking out in my book.

Mirror Image and Archtop like this.
  5. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Last night I went to my usual Luna's Cafe presents Nebraska Mondays which hosts creative/improv music, mostly jazz and the tradition is that musicians show up, put their name in the hat and the host draws a " trio" of names out of the hat to perform and repeats the draw until everyone has played. It really is a seat of the pants kind of show and some amazing things tend to happen. One of the more well known musicians who performed is John Raskin who was in ROVA Saxophone Qt. and now lives in the area. Fun night of music.

Edit: this is how it works for the last show of the year. Normally fully formed or somewhat fully formed groups play.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    bluemooze, Stu02 and Lonson like this.
  6. Lonson

From a Coltrane chill pill, to this sleep aid. . . .

[​IMG]

Anna Caram "The Other Side of Jobim"

bluemooze, bluejimbop and Six String like this.
  7. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

I read somewhere that John Coltrane has some recordings in which he plays with two bass players. Can anyone point me in the direction of these?

8. Lonson

Here are three examples

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Impressions has Reggie workman and Jimmy Garrison together

Starwanderer and heathen like this.
  10. heathen

heathen Forum Resident

Thanks gents

bluejimbop likes this.
  11. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

It's been a hectic few days with family, so this has been my first chance to sit down and savor a new to me album in a bit. Eric Dolphy Far Cry on AP 33. Dolphy has really converted me on jazz flute. The flute is an instrument I've always enjoyed in classical, but until Dolphy I'd generally found it a bit grating in most jazz I'd heard.
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, xybert, Jazzicalit and 9 others like this.
  12. Lonson

Blue Mitchell "Bring it Home to Me" Blue Note Japan SHM-CD

[​IMG]

Great music to prepare dinner to.

13. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I'm wondering how much thought went into the title of the album (and track) and cover photo. Regardless, great music with Fathead Newman, Kenny Barron, Steve Wilson...

[​IMG]

bluemooze, bluejimbop and jazz_case like this.
  14. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

"No one plays a meaner wind-up music box through a Telecaster, into a DL4, then a DeLuxe Reverb than Frisell. Nobody." from the comments on this performance:

bluemooze, Octave, SteveD. and 2 others like this.
  15. jamo spingal

jamo spingal Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Just beaten to the Coltrane answer, so thought I would share an example from Trane's erstwhile later partner. Sun in Aquarius has some kick-ass two bass playing from Cecil McBee and Richard Davis.

16. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Alright, thank you, yasujiro. And McCoy Tyner's first time on record was...? :)

Mugrug12 likes this.
  17. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

I think this track deserves a clip here on the jazz&conversation thread.

At Night I love to play Morning, by Yusef Lateef

I guess most of you know this one, but for the ones who don't:
    Would you say this is a recording from 57, 67, 77, 87 or 97 ?

18. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Yeah, about that... You're right, @Kevin Davis.

I'm a huge Metheny fan but also a total ostrich when it comes to his music. For example, I don't want to establish a parallel between his work and Lee Ritenour's, whereas it's pretty obvious they were on the same journey.

This Ritenour album, Harlequin (1985), in a "blind test," would probably be hard to distinguish from a Metheny album:

[​IMG]

And then in both Pat's and Lee's cases, there are those Latin rythms inspired songs with guest Latin male singers slash percussionists kind of ululating, for lack of a better word right now:

So, is Pat Metheny part of the crossover-smooth jazz genre? (... Anyway, I can't read your answer, with my head deep in the sand and all.)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    bluemooze and Ray Cole like this.
  19. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

It certainly sounds like 1957, Yesternow. :) Is it more recent than that?

20. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Now most are $14.99, only one showing out of stock is Freddie’s Open Sesame. Just ordered Blakey’s The Big Beat and Byrd/Adams The Cat Walk

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  21. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Great album! Definitely one of my favorite buys of 2018. I was new to Yusef’s early Savoy dates. This is better than Prayer to the East which is also good and is just a fraction behind Fuller’s Bluesette for my favorite Savoy from that series (see my thread savoy jazz cds made in japan)

Yesternow likes this.
  22. Yesternow

Oui, ces't 57.

In my mind I had this image of me being surprised the first time I've played it and read it was from that year. Guess it was just me.

I'll play it again just to make sure :righton:

Jacline and Dan Steele like this.
  23. Yesternow

I'm not a big trombone enthusiast, but I'll check that Curtis album tomorrow morning at the office. I've just confirmed it's available on Spotify.
    [​IMG]

This will sound stupid but I think trombone goes really well with morning coffee and toasts.

Dan, when possible check this one. One of my favorites, with trombone involved:
    [​IMG]

And looks like there's at least one point in common with yours.

24. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I love that stuff. Such a pleasure to watch the great Kenny Wolleson play drums too.