Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Yes!

2. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I'm thinking I see John Kirby & Zutty Singleton. And Eddie Condon for sure.

3. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

The word is now an obscenity.

Tribute likes this.
  4. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

ok Billie Holiday

The Columbia Records 3

[​IMG]

Marzz, ChazFromCali, Soulpope and 4 others like this.
  5. Berthold

Jutta Hipp "Lost Tapes"

[​IMG]

Do you remember her?

6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I have about 90 percent of the box sets, and have compared some original cds to the remastered ones. In each case I personally have preferred the remastered. Some appear a bit "louder" but not to a dismissive extent, and the clarity and EQ are improved at least for my taste and in my system.

7. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Don't forget to include Backwards that documents the origins of their jazz transformation and captures the very moment (November 1969) when the psychedelic prog trio of Hopper/Ratlege/Wyatt joined forces with a bunch of fellow British jazzmen (Elton Dean, Mark Charig, Nick Evans & Lyn Dobson) from Keith Tippett Group they had met on tour.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  8. Berthold

Hans Koller "New York City"

[​IMG]

Good - but hard stuff for me

ChazFromCali likes this.
  9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

All this talk about Black Saint and the jazz of the '80s, got me on to this one last night -- Muhal Richard Abrams' Colors in Thirty-Third. Abrams' history as a recording artist seems unusual to me. He's a major figure in jazz in the '60s and early '70s, because of his role in founding the AACM and because of his role as a sort of mentor to other artists.

But as a recording artist, I think his best work on record didn't arrive until 20 and 30 years later in the 1980 and 1990s (when he recorded a lot vs. the '60s and '70s, when he recorded relatively little), and in all kinds of contexts: leading big bands, small bands, solo, in duo settings, etc. I think it's not that common for a performing artist to be at his or her best and most prolific 25 and 35 years into his or her career.

Earlier I had recommended the Black Saint Abrams box not knowing there was also second box, labelled Vol 2. I still would recommend Vol 1, which feature the '80s/early-'90s classics like The Hearinga Suite and Blu Blu Blu as well as the great early '80s albums Blues Forever and mid-80s albums like View from Within. But Vol. 2 has some super albums too like this one, and FamilyTalk. What a run of really special music.

[​IMG]

lschwart, Marzz, ChazFromCali and 4 others like this.
  10. Berthold

Duke Ellington: "The Ellington Suites"

[​IMG]

lschwart, Marzz, Erik B. and 9 others like this.
  11. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

My spirit is open to new jazz today.
    I'm enjoying this one,
    [​IMG]
    Yussef Kamaal - Black Focus

The British are on top of the game currently.

@scompton, where art thou?

12. Lonson

Cassandra Wilson "Glamoured" Blue Note cd

Loverly.

[​IMG]

Robitjazz likes this.
  13. ATR

ATR Senior Member

And returning to the discussion as to which Black Saint/Soul Note boxes to get, I recommend the Muhal Richard Abrams boxes. I don't have them because I bought the albums when they were originally released. The Hearinga Suite was considered a high point when it came out. They're all excellent, medium to large ensemble music, no not big band, with tight section work and great soloists.

14. Lonson

I am not a Sinatra fan. I acknowledge his skill and influence, but his personality rubs me wrong and seems to pervade his vocal performances to me. But I love the Basie band and I felt like spinning this one as I hadn't for some time.

[​IMG]

15. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

A long-time favorite...

ChazFromCali likes this.
  16. Yesternow

Blade Runners seem to like Sinatra
    [​IMG]

Ray Cole, Mugrug12 and Tokyo Ghost like this.
  17. Lonson

Lots of people like Sinatra, I know I'm an anomaly but he really doesn't do much for me. I've talked about this so much at length in the past that I probably should never mention it because I'm so over discussing it.

Right now
    Benny Goodman "Complete Small Group Recordings' disc 1
    [​IMG]

Berthold, JHC3, Robitjazz and 3 others like this.
  18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I can understand not liking Sinatra's personality, though I believe if one holds all artists to that standard, it might be difficult to appreciate almost any performer. Additionally, I do not believe that perception of his personality pervaded any one of his numerous ballad masterpieces from the prime of his career (1942-1960).

Marzz and vanhooserd like this.
  19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

20. scottpaul_iu

scottpaul_iu Forum Resident

Robert Glasper - In My Element

Love the medley of Maiden Voyage / Everything In Its Right Place. He's one of my favorite musicians.
    [​IMG]

21. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Starting the day right, with some new to me Miles. I honestly am embarrassed for myself that I've never listened to much by Mile's second quintet before now considering how much I love both his and Herbie's music in general. Mofi 33.
    [​IMG]

22. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I also like Kamaal Williams/ The Return from last year, although he really misses his old partner Yussef on drums/percussion. But those keyboard textures are so good.

23. Lonson

Whatever, I don't like listening to him at any particular period in his career.

Now listening to
    Bobby Broom "Modern Man" Delmark cd
    [​IMG]

vinylsolution and bluejimbop like this.
  24. Yesternow

Your post gives me some hope that you might be the one that finally enjoys this pearl of keyboard textures by trumpet player Nicholas Payton:
    Numbers
    [​IMG]
    Check it please. It's available thru Spotify also. Don't give up after just a couple of tracks.

This reply is just a good excuse for me to start a short series of posts entitled:

"albums I like but for some reason no one else gives a damn, maybe because they actually suck".
    :)

Ray Cole and frightwigwam like this.
  25. Lonson

"Helen Merrill Presents. . . Al Haig Plays the Music of Jerome Kern" Inner City cd.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    xybert likes this.