Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

Just the best.

Pants Party and Lonson like this.
  2. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Horace Parlan: The Blue Note Records 1

[​IMG]

3. Barolojoe

Barolojoe Forum Resident

...... Some more with Thelonious Monk.... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Duke Ellington: Piano in The Foreground

[​IMG]

MagicAlex, vanhooserd, peter1 and 4 others like this.
  5. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  6. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

vanhooserd, Berthold, Erik B. and 4 others like this.
  7. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Loads of Murray available on CD including Ming in the Black Saint box sets.

8. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Hi Chervokas, I have a paid Spotify subscription. When I go to my settings for Music Quality on my Android phone and tablet, the highest bit rate I see is the 320 kbps Ogg Vorbis.

On my PC I am given a choice to turn on/off "high quality streaming", but there is no mention of bit rate.

I've searched on Spotify and Google for a Spotify subscription that offers 16/44.1 FLAC, but cannot find it.

Am I missing something here? Thank you!

Mark

9. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Spotify apparently has talked about a higher resolution offering, but never implemented one. Tidal offers 16/44.1 FLAC, and higher res via MQA in its $20/mo "HiFi" plan. The sound is often very good. Qobuz, which is in closed beta in the US at the moment, offers 16/44.1 and, at an even higher fee, uncompressed high res.

10. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yeah, the boxes seem to be the only way anymore to get new, regular production CDs of much of the Black Saint and Soul Note material, other than on the second-hand market or if any old inventory is still out there are retailers.

11. StarThrower62

I was buying a lot more new jazz releases in the 80s & 90s. There's not much that excites me these days. I'm buying some ECM re-issues and that's about it. I've got 14 Black Saint boxes, over a hundred ECM titles, probably a 150 Blue Notes, and several hundred other jazz titles. After a while one has to say enough!

12. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

The Cannonball Adderley Quintet 'Country Preacher' (1969)

Crispy Rob, Robitjazz and Soulpope like this.
  13. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I dunno, I remember when I was a kid my mom asked me, "Why do you need to buy more album, you already have so many?" And I said, "You know, mom, there's different music on each one!" One thing I really love about the streaming era is that in many cases I can hear new releases that I'm curious about, which, in the end, I may not want to listen to over and over down through the years, but which I'm glad to be able to hear. Last year that included things like Freebird by Walking Distance w/ Jason Moran or Negro Manifesto by Dana Murray or Makaya McCraven's Universal Beings. Thanks to streaming I'm actually hearing a lot more new music than I have in quite a few years.

frightwigwam and Starwanderer like this.
  14. StarThrower62

I really need to connect with a personal voice to stay interested. There's an abundance of excellent musicians, but the unique artists are rare. I haven't heard any guitarists or sax players in recent years that sound unique. Ben Monder was the last guy that caught my attention on guitar. Steve Coleman, and Kenny Garrett on sax, and that was 30 years ago. I like modern big band stuff, and John Hollenbeck is one guy that has caught my attention.

15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Ha, I wish I knew when to say enough. I have over 20,000 jazz recordings, and I begin to realize how daft that is, but . . . . I still find more I want to explore.

Right now
    The TOCJ Japan cd of "Rendezvous" by Jacky Terasson and Cassandra Wilson
    [​IMG]

mwheelerk, Robitjazz and frightwigwam like this.
  16. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Thank you!

17. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I'm at an age now where I'd like to lighten the load, myself. My storage space has its limitations and I've thoroughly enjoyed a lot of recordings that I would rather not hear again given the choice of that or something new. There are people who are satisfied that they've already had the best listening experience they ever will and don't want or need to hear what's next, and god bless them but they are not me. For those reasons I wouldn't mind getting into streaming the way I have with streaming video. But with music I want to have more information about what I'm listening to than what I watch and that's not available with streaming. Also, I've read the posts above about issues with file size. I'll admit not to be able to tell much difference at all between lossless, 328 kbps, and wav, but it's still an issue as is the cost of getting music in CD quality, as they say. That doesn't even touch the issues of which mastering you're listening to, etc. So for now, no thanks to streaming and I guess I'll have to expand my storage area just a teeny bit more. The price you have to pay for refusing to believe the music died with Bill Evans.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

We could all use that line. Thanks.

jay.dee, Starwanderer and Jazzmonkie like this.
  19. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, in terms of new stuff, particularly new jazz, mastering isn't so much an issue, there's usually just one master out there. File size and streaming has never been a problem with my wifi, and I don't have the highest bandwidth available or anything like that, nor generally with my cell, but I only use that for less than critical listening -- in car for the most part -- where ambient noise makes me not so concerned with the fine details of the audio. But, yeah, the info is a problem for me too. Thankfully all the info, and often more, is often online somewhere. I don't love being tethered to an internet connected device when I'm listening -- too potentially distracting, but I'm learning new ways to be disciplined about the distractions. Of course, not all new stuff I want to hear is available on one or another streaming platform, so I'll go where the music is. But like I said, I'm listening to more new and more new to me material now than I have in recent years because of the access (and the fact that it involves no storage and no marginal increase in cost, it's all you can eat for a flat monthly fee).

20. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Very excited to hear the first information regarding this year’s Vision Festival which will happen between 6/11 & 6/16 thankfully again @ Roulette in Brooklyn. Andrew Cyrille will be the honored musician and I hear he will be playing a duo with Peter Brotzmann on the opening night:)

I’m sure there will be a couple of other exciting ensembles for Andrew’s night and I’m sure I’ll get to one or two of the other nights to hear some other wonderful musicians/groups play in a very fine venue.

But the confirmation that I’ll get another chance to hear the legendary saxophonist one more time made my day today.

Ray Cole, jay.dee, eeglug and 2 others like this.
  21. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Earlier I listened to Peter Brotzmann with Masahiko Satoh on piano & Takeo Moriyama in Drums: Yatagarasu

Recorded live on November 8th, 2011 @ Manngha Hall in Kraków

Astonishing energy and facility / the recording is given a sub-title of The Heavyweights and it’s easy to hear why when listening - first 26 minute is Brotzmann on tenor sax with the second 30 minute piece has him switching from his taragato to alto saxophone. Some of the peaks during these pieces are mind melting. They end with 3 shorter pieces that are an apt close to what must have been something up close & personal.

On Not Two records

22. Gagnedouze

Gagnedouze Forum Resident

Lovely voice.

23. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Listening to this collaboration between Bill Bruford, Ralph Towner and Eddie Gomez. Love all 3 players contributions here! A mostly nuanced and acoustic album, not to be missed. There’s even a drum solo, for the old prog head that I am!

[​IMG]

24. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Very calm times here at the Jzz&Cnv thread.
    Miss some participants: @Jacline @Mirror Image, beatnikdaddyo (not able to find his user ?? ) @Mook ...

I used to get up and have 20 posts to read. It was always a good time having breakfast while catching up. But lately ...

Hope people can come back and post some good old jazz. This lack of posts resulted in me getting into contemporaneous jazz: Kamaal, Comet is Coming, Shabaka and the Ancestors....
    Not that they're bad, not at all... But I miss the good old stuff.

Although it's not the right time for a request like this one... I'm going to risk it anyway.

So, here's the first 2019

Jazz & Conversation TOP list request !

[​IMG]

I'm asking your top Riverside albums. Top 10 or 20... whatever you think is relevant.

Just a small note, until now we had these tops:
    Columbia
    Impulse
    Blue Note
    CTI
    ECM
    Mainstream
    Verve

Good luck on your top !!
    Just post :righton:

AaronW, Jacline and Stu02 like this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

ALAN SICHERMAN and Starwanderer like this.