Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Theloneliest Monk

Theloneliest Monk Forum Resident

:bdance:
    I have a massive high-5 with your name on it because I got an order in and I’ve really had that one on the mind lately! :cheers:

Next up on the ol’ wantlist is that Bird complete Savoy collection that Gabe mentioned and the set Stu mentioned, it was either Keystone or Keynote, don’t remember which.

Gabe Walters and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Keynote Records

Keynote Records - Wikipedia

Stu02 and bluemooze like this.
  3. Theloneliest Monk

Thanks, I knew where to order it from and was sure I’d be able to find it on their site (fresh sounds) but couldn’t remember off the top of my head and was feeling too lazy to go look it up elsewhere.

Stu02 and Lonson like this.
  4. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Charlie Parker - Greatest Hits
    Masters - MA 0025983

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Moebius

Moebius Forum Resident

Herbie - Sextant (Mastersound CD)

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, xybert, SJR and 9 others like this.
  6. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Sam Rivers- Contours (Blue Note Tone Poet Series)
    [​IMG]
    Blue Note is 3 for 3 with this series. All top quality productions in every way.

7. Theloneliest Monk

I’m due for this one soon after listening to Mwandishi and Crossings a few days ago. It boggles my mind how good all those Mwandishi albums are.

8. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Great sounding record! Horns augmenting the quartet on a few tracks.

9. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Circle, Paris-Concert (ECM)
    [​IMG]

10. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

(Bold type on "afaik" mine.)
    Actually, that piano intro appears 4 years earlier (2004) on the Riverside Tarantino mastered SACD. Not that the Keepnews is not a good option, that series is generally excellent across the board for RBCD, the AP box notwithstanding.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and crispi like this.
  11. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

Frank Foster 'Fearless Frank Foster' (1965 Prestige)

[​IMG]

Dan Steele and bluemooze like this.
  12. AxiomAcoustics

Sickafoose just played at our little Jazz non-profit with the great clarinetist Ben Goldberg. Wonderful being able to chat with these guys and see thm in a venue smaller than the Vanguard.

13. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

:righton:

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  14. AxiomAcoustics

What amazes me about Rollins (aside from the music) is that despite his massive presence as a giant of the music and saxophone and the confidence he exudes when playing and performing he's amazingly humble and self-effacing, almost to a fault. Always questioning his abilities and worrying that he never really achieved fully "having it together". Incredible to think that the period that he's most well known and revered for, pre-The Bridge, is when he felt this the most and the main reason he dropped out at that point. I'd imagine that not being able to play anymore is killing him.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  15. AxiomAcoustics

:cussing: Been waiting a week for mine to arrive, still stuck inside of Indy with the Eugene blues again. (Ordered from Elusive, who are starting to reflect their name.) Sometimes this USPS system really sucks. Still have not received my Garcia Electric On The Ell preorder that also shipped OVER a week ago and has now been delayed.

Erik B. likes this.
  16. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...got this kicked to 11. What a band!

[​IMG]

Sonny Rollins ‎– Plus 4

Label:
    Original Jazz Classics ‎– OJCCD-243-2, Prestige ‎– P-7038
    Format:
    CD, Album, Remastered, Reissue
    US
    Released:
    07 Jul 1987
    Genre:
    Jazz

Recorded in New York City; March 22, 1956

...and here’s one of my favorite pics of Sonny, from 1959 I believe, sportin’ the mohawk. Rebel!

[​IMG]

17. AxiomAcoustics

Currently flushing out rodents with this fine slab:

[​IMG]

18. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

This album doesn't seem to get the due it deserves, 5 of the 8 are Trane originals and are classics.
    Heavy rotation the last few days
    [​IMG]

19. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Just discovered this one. A beautiful, melodic, jazzy record from the great bassist/vocalist.

bluemooze likes this.
  20. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

hopefully yours shows up in better shape than mine :cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing::cussing:

[​IMG]

bluemooze and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

That's how mine looks too. But everything plays, which is what counts, and it's not like it's fancy unique packaging that has been damaged. . . .

Freebird and Erik B. like this.
  22. Theloneliest Monk

@Beatnik_Daddyo'73 ’s posts put me in a mood to check out some Sonny Rollins earlier, and, since I’ve most recently been checking out as much early Miles as possible, so I dug up Sonny with the MJQ. This LP features the single track recorded under Sonny’s name on the epic day in 1951 (January 17) where Miles participated in three different recording sessions:
    1. one under Charlie Parker’s name,
    2. one under Miles’s own name (also his first for Prestige)
    3. one under Sonny’s (also Sonny’s first for Prestige)
    They only laid down one track, entitled I Know, during the Sonny Rollins session and Miles actually plays piano on it instead of trumpet. I was rather impressed by Miles piano playing, and Sonny, of course, is killing. Interestingly enough, even though the album is entitled Sonny Rollins with the Modern Jazz Quartet, the MJQ is only on 4 of the 13 tracks, a quirky by-product of the adoption of the 12” LP and the combination and reissue of previously issued 10” material, I suppose.

Sonny Rollins and the MJQ

[​IMG]

23. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

Can you guys recommend a really good pressing for this title. I have the OJC analog copy from the early 80's.

24. Theloneliest Monk

Wish I could, I’m pretty much a one horse town when it comes to music (meaning that once I get a particular recording I stick with it and am not trying out multiple versions of the same album in search of the best sounding version). I have the OJC cd.

25. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I'm good with the SACD.