Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

This post has my full Support

Lefty Wright likes this.
  2. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Recorded on October 23, 1957, this was Griffin’s last album with Blue Note before he moved to Riverside.
    • Johnny Griffin - tenor saxophone
    • Sonny Clark - piano
    • Paul Chambers - bass
    • Kenny Dennis - drums
    The early jazz album covers of Andy Warhol

3. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I obviously hadn’t had enough coffee when I posted this morning, I meant UHQCD not SHM-CD! Sounds very nice...

4. NaiveMelody

NaiveMelody Forum Resident

I saw Jason Moran + The Bandwagon up front in small venue last night....wow! They were truly spectacular. And Jason is such an eloquent spokesman for jazz, always honoring the music's history, while continuing to look forward and create something entirely new. For my money, there is no better current spokesman for the music.

[​IMG]

ATR, WorldB3, AxiomAcoustics and 5 others like this.
  5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Indeed it does.

6. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Mingus Moves to me is a gem perhaps a bit underrated.
    I am listening to it on my hi-fi system (CD player Marantz 6006). It's an European reissue, Serie Jazz Best Collection 1000, low price.
    George Adams, Don Pullen, Ronald Hampton, Charles Mingus, Dannie Richmond and the singers Doug Hammond and Honey Gordon on the tune Moves composed by Hammond is an excellent line up.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Jacline and Crispy Rob like this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I sent that photo of Eleanor Roosevelt with children from 1933 to my mother's surviving sister, and she said she believes it is indeed my mother in the hat next to Eleanor.

I wish I could have showed this to my mother before she passed. She was a New Dealer all the way.

Eleven years later, she was seeing Art Tatum on 52nd Street and sitting at Lead Belly's feet as he sang.

vanhooserd, Crispy Rob and bluemooze like this.
  8. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

This trio session is quite something. Sometimes it takes a second time through and the right mood and I’m really hearing this on my second listen.

Fielder’s kit is tuned just right, Kowald is great as always and Kidd is just flat-out in the groove - he’s playing more in the middle and lower registers of the tenor than he normally does. So sweet. June 11th is going to be very special. Maybe I’ll get there the other night later in the week when he is playing in a group dedicated to Alvin Fielder.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Starwanderer likes this.
  9. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

'son of Sidewinder', lots of it on BN but very little elsewhere

10. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Kenny Barron Quintet- Images (Sunnyside)
    [​IMG]

11. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

Man, sometimes there's nothing like a good smoke, glass of port, and Billie to set the mood. This is one of two of my faves from her. I'll be that AP sounds fantastic...I have a Verve pressing.

12. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

13. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Daddyo, your weekend starts with that album. I guess my love for Jazz started with that same album.

Getz... I knew I had to have more of that sound in my life.

Great album. One of the very few with vocals that I own and like.

Classic! Mandatory for music fans.

[​IMG]

14. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Never heard an original, but the AP does sound very, very good.

15. Carter DeVries

Carter DeVries Forum Resident

Yep. That’s the one the hooked me.

Yesternow and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  16. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...couldn’t agree more!

Yesternow likes this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I like the original first issues of Billie, from during her all too brief life. I was very lucky to get all three of these for less than the cost of one new pressing. Images from the web (still no camera)

Somehow, these things make me feel as if I am touching Billie herself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. The Carrot Guy

The Carrot Guy Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I bought this vinyl from a charity shop a few weeks back for $2 (it appears to be a reissue of At the Blackhawk). I don't have a record player (or space for one) and this is the only record I've ever bought. I don't usually even look through them but this one was staring at me from the top of a pile under the CDs and I couldn't resist. Going to the in-laws shortly where I'll be able to give it a listen and do a needle drop.

19. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I took this from another thread on the forum. It reminds me that we need to discuss Nat more often here.

Certainly the greatest singer-pianist or pianist-singer in jazz history.

[​IMG]

20. xybert

xybert Forum Resident

Claudia Quintet - Royal Toast

Just in the mood for something kind of 'proggy' for want of a better way to put it. I always thought fans of Zappa's instrumentals would dig John Hollenbeck's music.

[​IMG]

21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Tribute I think I recall you mentioning your moms appreciation of Lead Belly once before. Did she also have contact with Woody G ? I have always wondered about the relationship of Woody and Lead Belly and I wonder if she had any personal insite to that
    We don’t seem to have a Woody Guthrie amongst us these days.

22. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

23. AxiomAcoustics

This is one of my faves, discovered accidentally. Thought I was buying an Insane Clown Posse (ICP) album and ended up wit this weird Jazz stuff. Ended up really digging it. :D

Had front row seats for the (real) ICP, got to chat with Misha and Han prior to the start. Han played push-broom during his drum solo. Priceless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You know, I never asked her about Woody, surprisingly. She was into his music and had his records. But Woody did not really have a commercial career in the time she might have seen him (before kids came). He never sought one.
    Maybe we don't know of the Woody Guthrie's that do exist among us today because as soon as a performer seeks money to sing, to have a public profile, they are not really like Woody at all.
    One artist she described as being the most intense and unusual performer she had ever seen was John Jacob Niles.
    He wailed as no one else ever has again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

timzigs, bluemooze and oldjollymon like this.
  25. AxiomAcoustics

I nominate "Penelope" as Wayne's most beautiful ballad. :love: