Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

I believe this requires further qualification please. :confused:

2. AxiomAcoustics

I'm surprised at your exclusion of:

[​IMG]

;)

jay.dee likes this.
  3. AxiomAcoustics

Have to mention Guy Klucevsek as well for great modern-day accordion improvisers. Lots of Zorn association and part of the sublime Dave Douglas "Charms Of The Night Sky" ensemble.

Ray Cole likes this.
  4. jhershauer

jhershauer Forum Resident

That's a bummer about your first disc. I hope having those two extra discs helps make up for it a little bit.

I actually placed an order on Amazon for the version you bought, but then immediately found a thread here in the forums talking about how great the Sam Records version is. So I cancelled and bought the Sam. This made it doubly disappointing when the entire first side sounded bad. But Fred saved the day with some brilliant customer service. :)

fabre likes this.
  5. AxiomAcoustics

I have both the US unedited and Japanese black/silver sets and while there may be a very slight difference between the two I always turn to the US set for the "complete" material. However, I do wonder about the blue/gold version and if there's an improvement.

That being said I find that the US set sounds very good, especially considering that it's a club date from 1965. But even more intriguing is your mention of Ron Carter and his inaudibility. Forgive me if that's too strong an assumption of your comment but it made me pause so I pulled this set out and am listening to disc 2 right now after finishing the first disc and find Carter to sound very good, if not ecellent. He's prominent, full-bodied and articulate and sits in the mix beautifully. Every note is audible and properly rendered as to attack, sustain and decay, even when things get heated. Compared to other live recordings of this era I can't imagine him sounding better.....except for maybe on that blue/gold set or surely the Mosiac LP boxed set. Which I too would love to have but not at current prices.

frightwigwam likes this.
  6. Just a question: same content as on the LP?
    Thanks

7. AxiomAcoustics

The blue/gold by chance?

I should also mention that the original Japanese cover graphics were used in the "semi-porch-crusher" box, and was remasterd by Wilder. Have not listened to them though. Probably should but the complete box is always at hand.

8. AxiomAcoustics

Desert island set.

Has anyone ever wondered what's underneath that sticker in the liner note credits? Hell, maybe no one has even noticed it? Interesting story.

Erik B. likes this.
  9. AxiomAcoustics

Here's the same backdrop before urban renewal:

[​IMG]

:laugh:

rxcory, Starwanderer, markp and 4 others like this.
  10. AxiomAcoustics

Just go ahead and slip $150 outta my pocket. Actually, that seems a bit pricey for 5 (6 considering the double I know) LP's. That's roughly $30 per. which puts them into "audiophile" reissue territory, unless these are AAA and of the same quality? Love this music, will do some legwork on the price issue but everywhere I look it's about the same. Have you gotten to any others in the set?

11. AxiomAcoustics

I listened to some Pete Cosey a few weeks back:

[​IMG]

OK, I'm starting to reach thread-takeover volume here so I'm going to take a break and give everyone else the same. Just trying to catch up from a few days incapacitated. :tiphat:

rxcory, BluTom, ianuaditis and 3 others like this.
  12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

bluemooze, jay.dee and AxiomAcoustics like this.
  13. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

$100 and change from Amazon Germany. Sounds great to me, but then again, I have no other PV's to compare with. I do have a few thousand+ other lp's to compare with, though:D

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  14. bluejimbop

bluejimbop Thumb Toe Heel Toe

I’ve got the Sony “Tall Box” of this set and as far as I’m concerned, the booklet can’t be beat. I can’t speak to sound quality, having never heard the JSP but we are talking about stuff from the 1920s after all.

Theloneliest Monk and Lonson like this.
  15. Stunsworth

Stunsworth Forum Resident

Don Rendell, Ian Carr Quintet: Phase III

Superb LP reissue by Jazzman

[​IMG]

Stu02, Moebius, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  16. bluejimbop

Certain musicians inspire stock phrases. My one for Hutch is “I’d pay money to watch Bobby listen to music”

Yesternow likes this.
  17. bluejimbop

Score!

18. AxiomAcoustics

Cool, checking now it's $108 USD, not sure about shipping. Will ask my local first, he often cuts a good deal on stuff like this...same as the Trad Gras set.

19. AxiomAcoustics

I've said enough today so I'll let this band have the floor for a spell:

[​IMG]

20. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Spinning some new releases on LP today, both with excellent sound quality. Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan Epistrophy on ECM 2x33 and The Comet is Coming Trust in the Lifeforce of the Deep Mystery on Impulse 33.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Following on from the Chick Corea posts I was lucky enough to snap this one up from Ray's Jazz s/hand rack he other day.

[​IMG]

And then I started looking at his late 60s and early 70s sessions - a bit messy...and not helped by Blue Note's two double albums they put out in the 70s - Circling In and Chick Corea.

Stu02, AxiomAcoustics, BluTom and 6 others like this.
  22. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Hi Rob, you mean this second quintet box?
    Where exactly should I look for that sticker? I don't see any traces of one. I got this box second hand a long time ago...
    Didn't know until now of a sticker. :cry: I love album stickers.

[​IMG]

jerico, Starwanderer, Erik B. and 3 others like this.
  23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Mongo Santamaria - Watermelon Man (Battle) black mono label

Getting in the mood for a small drum circle this afternoon I've been attending for the last few weeks. So far it's been a party of two but the leader is well versed in the Afro-Cuban tradition so I'm learning a lot. It just started so we're hoping we get more participants soon. The goal is for some serious drum dialogue and not a hippie drum circle. Time will tell.

rxcory, Stu02, Soulpope and 3 others like this.
  24. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I don’t have the LP but track listing on my CD is:

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  25. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

The sticker is on 2 pages before the ones shown above.

If if I remember correctly the set was delayed due to the production credits. The sets were printed and done, but held up until it was rectified by the sticker.

The sticker reads, 'Original Recordings Produced by Teo Macero..."

xybert and Erik B. like this.