Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I have really enjoyed this album

Tom H likes this.
  2. Have most of his recordings on vinyl so I skipped the box. This one swings and is probably one of his Verve recordings in stereo.I like best his "TAL" and "Swinging Guitare Of....." with the percussive piano playing of Eddie Costa on the left side of the keyboard. The nickname "Octopus" was given for his big hands doing real difficult grips for chords.
    BTW this is also a good read with a listing of his records

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JRM, dennis the menace and bluemooze like this.
  3. A nice solo (Autumn Leaves) on this one:

[​IMG]

4. Lisa Coy

Lisa Coy New Member

What a wonderful and nostalgia causing thread :)

Lonson likes this.
  5. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I have 5 out of 6 Tone Poet series releases so far — all absolutely fantastic, and I'm looking forward to the next batch, in the meantime . . .

[​IMG]
    1965/2019 Blue Note ‎– B0029357-01, Blue Note ‎– LT-1056, Blue Note ‎– B1 7243 8 33581 1 3
    Blue Note Tone Poet Series

6. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I've got all Miles' MFSL LP's and they're all stellar — well worth checking out. Sorcerer is one of my favourites.

Jam757, Crispy Rob and jhershauer like this.
  7. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

John Zorn - The Mysteries (2013).

Featuring Bill Frisell on guitar, Kenny Wollesen on vibraphone and bells, Carol Emanuel on harp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Based on your list I'd say that Bob Dylan's Live in San Diego '79 should tick all boxes. Intense personal brilliant band, the versions are arguably better then the studio takes, wonderful tension, emotional harmonies by a backup choir, etc. And no "belting out" like on those mid-70s live recordings.

Toronto '80 show included in Trouble No More box could be another pick, perhaps less tense, but musically even more compelling.

How about these two?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Crispy Rob likes this.
  9. The Carrot Guy

The Carrot Guy Forum Resident

What a band on Charlie Haden's American Dreams - Michael Brecker, Brad Mehldau and Brain Blade.

[​IMG]

Not usually a fan of the whole "with strings" thing, but I quite like it on this one. Perfect music to wind down after a frustrating day.

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

The Mainstream/Solid cd is a needle drop. . . not awful but the disc could sound better. I am familiar with sideman work Johnson has done, mainly with Jackie Mclean, haven't heard his other leader albums, but should. This one is like those you've described.

Mr Bass likes this.
  11. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Ugg. I was at that Toronto show and hated it. Ive read that his live recordings around that time are great. Im just not getting that era of his touring sound...

frightwigwam likes this.
  12. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Could we exchange our past experiences then? I would happily trade my entry to Tomasz Stańko gig on his Dark Eyes tour for your Toronto ticket... :D

Mugrug12 and Stu02 like this.
  13. Xelfo

Xelfo Forum Resident

Newest arrival from Japan

Harold Ousley - Tenor Sax

[​IMG]

14. Coverart by famous graphic artists

Not only the music inside but the cover drawing by well known artists is part of the record value for me.
    Here is an example in context with the recent posting of @JRM re Tal Farlow.

Some of my Farlow recordings have the coverart by David Stone Martin which i like very much.
    He created a lot of the cover graphics for the Norman Granz labels Norgran, CLEF Records and Verve.

Here is a little tableau for the Tal Farlow albums

[​IMG]

Ray Cole, Moebius, caio vaz and 7 others like this.
  15. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Picked up Of Course, Of Course by Charles Lloyd, sounds like a great little 1965 album featuring Tony Williams, Ron Carter, Gabor Szabo & Robbie Robertson of all people.

16. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme (The Complete Masters) (Impulse ! B-0023727-02)

Spent part of my evening yesterday listening again to the four complete alternate versions of Acknowledgement recorded using the full Sextet with Archie Shepp and Art Davis. Maybe it`s because I`m more use to it, but I still feel that Trane made the right choice by going with the Quartet version.

[​IMG]

17. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Earl Hines: The Classic Sessions 4

[​IMG]

xybert, Crispy Rob, Marzz and 4 others like this.
  18. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Listening to King of the Tenors, recorded in 1953 and originally released as The Consummate Artistry of Ben Webster.
    • Ben Webster - tenor saxophone
    • Benny Carter - alto saxophone
    • Harry "Sweets" Edison - trumpet
    • Oscar Peterson - piano
    • Herb Ellis or Barney Kessel - guitar
    • Ray Brown - double bass
    • Alvin Stoller or J. C. Heard - drums
    Verve CD

19. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Live Dead, Stand In The Fire, both volumes of Velvet Underground Live, much of the live Cream on various albums, The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads, James Brown Live At The Apollo, B.B. King Live At The Regal, Where's The Money?, Band of Gypsys, Live At Monterey, Bootleg Series Vol 4., Live At Leeds There's endless live rock albums that are unforgettable including plenty of Dylan. It's about one's predilections. Of the albums you mention I think Live At Fillmore East is also right up there.

20. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Hard Rain TV Special was broadcasted on Italian Public Television (RAI TV).
    Real Live is a good album. I also like the album with the Grateful Dead and I recall a VHS with Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers of 1986 or 1987 really enjoyable.
    I do not know if it was reissued as DVD or even as Blu-ray.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  21. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

All great albums. I would add "Lotus" and "Moonflower" (more than half album was recorded live) by Santana, "On The Road" by Traffic, the two multiple albums by Chicago (Live At Carnegie Hall and Live In Japan), Deep Purple and so on.

Crispy Rob and jay.dee like this.
  22. Lonson

"The Chronogical Louis Armstrong 1937-1938"

[​IMG]

Followed by
    Stanley Turrentine "Aint no Way' blue Note EMI cd

[​IMG]

23. Lonson

(Only partly tongue in cheek) Some of my favorite live rock recordings are late 'seventies live Weather Report.

jay.dee likes this.
  24. Lonson

"Miles Davis at Fillmore" Sony 1997 20 bit LP facsimile cd edition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Marian McPartland - Silent Pools (Concord)
    W/strings arranged by Alan Broadbent.

One of my favorite jazz with strings albums.

dynagroovy and dennis the menace like this.