Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Wow! You know Mario Bava. An Italian cult figure of horror B-movies. That film was often broadcasted on Horror Channel included on satellite pay tv Sky Italy.

The channel has been removed from the network for low ratings after nearly four years.

Horror Channel

Adagio is probably the most famous among all movements of Concierto de Aranjuez.
    In Italy it's very popular even more than Albinoni's Adagio arranged by Remo Giazotto.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    bluemooze likes this.
  2. Xelfo

Xelfo Forum Resident

Now playing

Nils Landgren Funk Unit - Paint It Blue

[​IMG]

bluemooze and dennis the menace like this.
  3. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

4. Six String

Six String Senior Member

We're in Austin now on our big road trip, getting ready for the big u-turn back to California. Yesterday we needed to replenish our coffee supply so we stopped in at Coffee Traders on E. 4th street and had a nice conversation with R.C. who I can only assume was the owner and came away with an excellent custom blend of Ethiopean/Timor beans and a good rec for lunch. Made me wonder if Lon ever bought coffee there.

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Les, I have been there. . .but about 13 years ago I became "addicted" to Ruta Maya Coffee, their Medium roast, from a neighboring coffee house, organic coffee growers in Mexico supported by Ruta Maya ship their coffee there to be roasted. I've been buying this coffee (the last four years or so via Amazon) ever since. I just can't shake it, it's the "right stuff" for me.

charlesp, Six String and Erik B. like this.
  6. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Thanks to @Stu02

Savoy Bebop Sessions - listening to Allen Eager

[​IMG]

alarickc, Soulpope, bluemooze and 3 others like this.
  7. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

And all this time I thought The Duke had the "right stuff" for you… ;)

Erik B. and Lonson like this.
  8. ATR

ATR Senior Member

This is the closest you'll come. Eddie Henderson - Realization / Inside Out. Anthology : Volume 2 :The Capricorn Years When this comes on in random play when I'm driving I often mistake it for the Mwandishi band recordings, and with good reason. Most of the same musicians. Drummer Norman Connors made a couple of albums early on, Dance of Magic and Dark of Light, also with many of these musicians, that are in a similar musical vein. I see that Julian Priester's ECM albums and Bennie Maupin's Jewel In The Lotus have already been recommended and I agree with those also.

9. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Stands alone with Louis Armstrong in my opinion as the pinnacle of twentieth century American popular music. It is so deep and profound, but so simply light and lovely on the surface, that you might miss the depth. Plus, most people don't think of Cole as the virtuoso pianist that he was and are familiar mainly with his primarily vocal recordings which are also classics. There are some reasonably priced boxes available on discogs at between $15 and $20 @disc. I just got a set myself that was in mint condition. Only discs 1&2 were out of the shrink wrap. But by all means stream away. There are also a couple of greatest hits discs, a set called 'Capitol Transcriptions', and a 10 disc European box heavy on the trio that sells for less than $20 and sounds very good.

Byrdsmaniac, Robitjazz and ando here like this.
  10. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Roy Eldridge: Heckler´s Hop

[​IMG]

11. Lonson

"Jam Session in Swingville featuring Coleman Hawkins & Pee Wee Russell" OJC cd.

[​IMG]

12. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

I have moved up to using a magnifying flashlight app on my smartphone to read CD booklets!

StarThrower62 likes this.
  13. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

The wonderful song Estate (in Italian the word estate means summer) by Italian pianist Bruno Martino played by Italian trumpeter Fabrizio Bosso e the French pianist Julian Olivier Mazzariello:

14. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

15. Lonson

Disc 2, Art Pepper "Artworks" from this box set.

[​IMG]

charlesp, Robitjazz, dZp and 5 others like this.
  16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I've seen most of the Bava films. I used to work at the public library here in the Audio-Visual department. One of my co-workers was a film fanatic & he introduced me to Bava's work. Another co-worker was a jazz buff. We had plenty of opportunity to talk about films & music, something I miss since I've retired. I think 'Lisa' is my favorite Bava. Telly Savalas makes a great Devil.

Stu02 and Robitjazz like this.
  17. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

Another record I didn't know existed. Randi became a prominent session musician, part of the famous "Wrecking Crew".

bluemooze and JazzcornerND like this.
  18. Lonson

Kenny Dorham "Quiet Kenny" XRCD

[​IMG]

19. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

In re Cole's piano, I think he's one of the most important and influential American pop and jazz pianists of the 20th century. I know that was forgotten for a while but I hope people have begun to realize again what a giant he was not just as a singer and as a crossover cultural figure, but most especially as a pianist. He's the bridge between swing and bebop, and he influenced everyone in that transitional generation, from Bill Evans to Ray Charles. I don't really think, if you're listening your way through the history of jazz piano, that it makes sense how you jump from Earl Hines or even Art Tatum to Bud Powell and Bill Evans and Oscar Peterson or whomever, without understanding Nat Cole in between. I'm really looking forward to the new collection of the earliest trio recordings from Resonance next month.

FWIW, I think all the Capitol trio transcription recordings are included in that complete Capitol trio set --- it's also streaming, like the complete set is. (Those transcription recordings are among my faves because the trio stretches out just a little bit and is a wee bit looser compared with the studio recordings, though the studio recordings are primo too). And of course, two hugely important influential musicians in one if you get the trio sides with Oscar Moore.

jtaylor, Byrdsmaniac, ATR and 5 others like this.
  20. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I was holding that copy of the best of Horace in my hand at the store a few hours ago. I didn’t pull the trigger but I know where to find a copy now. How do you like it?

caio vaz likes this.
  21. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

I got lucky in stumbling upon this favorite of mine today at the record shop today. Andrew Hill, Kenny Dorham, Eric Dolphy, Joe Henderson and Tony Williams each sit high up on my list of Jazz favorites. I don’t stream much, except to investigate, and the album where they all hit amazing heights together, Point of Departure, no longer needs to be streamed. In fact this ‘65 mono copy is about to spin for the third time since lunch. I’m just ecstatic. Thank you for bearing with me.

[​IMG]

charlesp, mcwlod, Ray Cole and 17 others like this.
  22. jeromesabbagh

jeromesabbagh Forum Resident

Michael Weiss asked me to post here, as he's tied up teaching and rehearsing today. It turns out he just got 2 big pledges and is close to $10000. The goal is $12000 and it seems reachable, even in the 16 hours left. If you are on the fence about this, now is the time to do it ...

Michael Weiss | Soul Journey | Analog Vinyl | Jazz

Jerome Sabbagh

Yesternow and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  23. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

I like it a lot! First because in Brazil you dont find any Horace album except for a fortune that means 4, or 5 in Europe. This is the only one i found here, and the other i bought from Euro.

Crazysteve likes this.
  24. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Great food town. Don't miss the ice cream at Dolce Neve.

25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

NP
    Beverly Kenny
    Fresh sounds compilation
    [​IMG]
    After haggling to get paid for good work done in August but still unpaid , I needed to reduce my less then neighbourly thoughts about this client....
    This does the trick ....