Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

Joey is awesome!

Xelfo likes this.
  2. Tinian

Tinian Forum Resident

Today out of pure luck, I got my hands on this in NM condition, for half the price it was sold as new, when it was in print.
    I think that after this my luck is running out...
    Tsuyoshi Yamamoto ‎– Autumn In Seattle
    First Impression Music ‎– FIM LP 004-R
    [​IMG]
    Now listening for the second time in a row :)

alarickc, Cervelo, dZp and 4 others like this.
  3. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Randy Weston - The Spirits Of Our Ancestors (Antilles)

Felt compelled to play this after seeing it posted recently. It's been a favorite since it was released. The arrangements by Melba Liston are superb, aren't they? Of course the playing is top notch and why not with all the great players. Dizzy had a tight schedule and basically flew in and played his parts and left.

4. Can you supply a Cat# label or coverscan? Would like to see which one it is. In the meantime I do collecft online the DSM cover art from PINTEREST.
    There are many friends collecting his coverart onöone and you can load them down.
    Thanks

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

The B-52s were a tight and fun band. My favorite is "Wammy."

Glenn coates and vanhooserd like this.
  6. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Del Close & John Brent/ How to Speak Hip (1959)

Geets Romo is so pure.

"Cool"

dennis the menace and bluemooze like this.
  7. More Cool Jazz from Hans Koller & Jutta Hipp

Jazz Realities / Mod JR 001 " Cool Jazz made in Germany" - Original Producer Gigi Campi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Fresh Sound Records FSR-CD 421 [2006] "The Legendary Jutta Hipp Quintet 1954"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. I use six year-old Sennheiser HD180 wireless phones, and love them.

Yesternow likes this.
  10. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I think I only saw them once, not long after I moved to Athens. After Chris Blackwell signed them to a recording contract they moved to a large house near NYC. I got to know Keith later, when he was back home on visits. His dad had been managing the bus station since the early 50s & Keith had worked there in the early 70s. On the other hand, I knew a couple of the R.E.M. guys before their career really took off.

Lonson and bluemooze like this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I have had several near misses with getting to meet famous people before they were famous.

In 1970, I met a girl from the New Jersey coast. She said that I really had to come to Asbury Park to meet her friend Bruce. I said to myself, but not to her, "Why would I want to go to New Jersey to meet some rock and roll musician?" All I remembered from my youth was that New Jersey smelled pretty bad (chemical plants). Besides, I did not have a car, and hitch-hiking in New Jersey was not easy.

I count that as one of the smaller mistakes I made in my days. Even though I made the wrong choice, I still got a story out of the mistake. A very short story.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    JeffMo, Ray Cole, alarickc and 2 others like this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

For a true analog experience

[​IMG]

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I saw them once in Chicago, early on in their career. Keith is a great drummer!

R.E.M. I never got into, though they rose when my interest in rock had fallen. . . .

14. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

It was the Clef label record of Charlie Parker - Big Band.

JazzcornerND likes this.
  16. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Awesome thank you it was great I love Miles and 'Trane and love all his quintets.

17. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

18. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

20. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

CHARLIE PARKER'S UNFINISHED ALBUM

Though I had always been big on Charlie Parker's discography, and enjoyed getting many issues of the recordings, I had never focused on the actual chronology of releases of his records during his lifetime, especially in the transitions from 78RPM singles to 45RPM EPs and both 10 and 12 inch LPs.

Though I knew Charlie Parker's last studio recordings were in later 1954, and certainly had read Norman Granz's liner notes, I never really thought about the fact that Parker was working on his last album when he died, and still had to do one more session to complete the album. His health was certainly in decline in early 1955, so the session kept being delayed.

The recording was also to be Charlie's first "concept album", devoted to another composer - in this case Cole Porter. Who can tell whether Parker had other "concept albums" in mind when he died?

As the album was unfinished, it also became Parker's only true posthumous album of new sessions, excluding the many alternate takes and live recordings issued after his death. It was ultimately issued in 1957. Between Parker's death and the time of this Cole Porter album, Savoy had rushed the release of many alternate takes, which became a sensation, making Parker the first jazz giant where listeners wanted to hear every take, every tape, no matter how low the fidelity. Even today, few jazz artists receive that level of focus.

Here is the album, with its first cover and labels. As Granz did not have enough tracks for a normal LP, it was filled out with some alternate takes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

If you wondered where these state-of-the-art headphones were made, it was the tiny Village of Dansville, NY, in the western Finger Lakes hills, far south of Rochester.

Dansville's current population is at it's lowest level in the last century.

Dansville is where the very first breakfast cereal was created, actually called Granula (not Granola, an obvious steal of a copyright). It was created by James Jackson, in 1863. He had moved there to take over the 'Our Home Hygienic Institute' in Dansville on the site of a mineral water spring. Under Jackson's management, the spa grew to be one of the largest in the world, catering for around 20,000 patients and was renamed 'Our Home on the Hillside'. Along with the water cures, Jackson believed that diet was fundamental in improving health. He promoted a vegetarian diet with the emphasis on fruits, vegetables, and unprocessed grains, and created "Granula" cereal. Jackson believed that his diet and cereal could cure intemperance and masturbation.

I don't know about you guys, but I think I have had my very last bowl of granola after learning this.

I also don't blame people for leaving this town, despite the access to quality headphones.

Here is where people consumed Granula, thinking it would end their self abuse.

[​IMG]

23. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Some more pictures of the place where breakfast cereals were born. How many of you have a bowl late at night?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe the first mixes of cereals were concocted in this house on the grounds?

[​IMG]

In the days before hippies took over and renamed it 'granola'

[​IMG]

24. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

25. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Spinning this one for the first time in a long while. I think it might be my favorite live Kirk album, although it's an odd one. But worth it for the "Goin' Home"/"Sentimental Journey" medley.

[​IMG]

L.