Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Both, but mostly the negative criticisms.

Mugrug12 likes this.
  2. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

:eek: Wow, are you in for a treat. True Blue is top notch. My favorite is Back to the Tracks but all his leader dates are outstanding. The real crime is that only True Blue was released during life.

Glenn coates, Mugrug12, Stu02 and 2 others like this.
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

YES

caio vaz likes this.
  4. Lonson

New one from the lovely Yazz Ahmed, "Polyhymnia" . . . . I like it. DENSE recording.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

I only made that comment because there were some opinions up thread about his criticism of other jazz artists, which I don’t care one way or the other about. I really like his music and wish there was more of his LCJO dates available as CDs/LPs. There are several videos of performances from the San Javier Jazz fest from 2010-2013 timeframe that I have worn out on youtube, like the Mooche and Shout ‘em Aunt Tillie where they improvise Ellington compositions. The trombone player Chris Crenshaw and clarinet player Victor Goines really shine. Try out the one titled “Wynton Marsalis and JALCO play the Mooche at San Javier Jazz Fest 2011”

6. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

One more BN today

[​IMG]

7. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Just finished “tales of another” by Gary Peacock.

[​IMG]

I had for some time considered (personal top ten ECM Record) Kenny Wheeler’s “Gnu High” to be Keith Jarrett’s final sideman recording.

According to a fan on another board, that stat actually belongs to this 1975 outing, featuring the same band as Jarrett’s standards trio in their first appearance, yet under the bassist’s name.

My highest recommendation on this one folks; The interplay is empathetic, the ears are enormous, and the egos are checked at the door. All songs are penned by the bassist and they run the gamut from driving modal vamps, to beautiful elegiac ballads to catchy lines so melodic they could be secretly unearthed standards.

The recording is also top shelf, clear and balanced. Only gripe is Jarrett’s often-cursed “singing” which seems louder on this one than
    other recordings of his side man performances That I really love. His utterances sound terrible and grating- sometimes he’s not even playing when he vocalizes on this album! This of course isn’t news for Jarrett fans, and I can manage to mostly tune it out. His playing is so killing otherwise, can’t they just put a fishbowl on his head or something?!
    ;) :hide:

Jokes aside, this is an incredible straight ahead trio album on ECM. It leaves no doubt why these 3 players are so adored and continue to this day in the trio that premiered here over 4 decades ago.

w:
    Gary Peacock bass
    Keith Jarrett piano
    Jack DeJohnette drums

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  8. Jim Walker

Jim Walker Senior Member

Someone was playing Kind of Blue at the library this morning before things cranked up a bit.
    Well, I got the itch. An appointment, crazy traffic and a workout later, the music is my
    reward, followed by a Manhatten, cheated with a splash of soda, and a mini cheese plate.

I get very jacked up just before putting a Lee Morgan record on. I have four of his titles
    between 1963-65, and I really like them all so much. Simply, the man's style really gets me,
    and everyone that is part of his crew plays so beautifully. Eerie Dearie is a long number
    that I enjoy from Booker Ervin's album; he goes off into fearless jam. Limbo has such a
    Duke feel to it. I've not listened to this much, but I do enjoy it. The strange scat vocal
    just underneath the swing is very cool. Coleman Hawkins is digging in for Ray Charle's Place,
    love his solo. I've developed a real sweet spot for both he and Ben Webster the more time
    I've given to them.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

Way to take the day by the horns. I dig your style dude.

Fender Relic likes this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Serge Chaloff is considered to be one of the small group of true giants of the baritone sax in all jazz history

11. Luvtemps

Luvtemps Forum Resident

I'm grooving to the LP-Swedish Modern Jazz,by Ame Domnerus And His Group..which is quite good,anyone familiar with them?

12. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Gonna listen him right now! I dont know too much baritone musicians

Fender Relic likes this.
  13. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Listening to CD 1 from "Billie Holiday - The Complete Verve Studio Master Takes."

[​IMG]
    East Of The Sun (West Of The Moon)
    Blue Moon
    You Go To My Head
    You Turned The Tables On Me
    Easy To Love
    These Foolish Things (Remind Me Of You)
    I Only Have Eyes For You
    Solitude
    Everything I Have Is Yours ("Billie Holiday" 10'' Version)
    Love For Sale
    Moonglow
    Tenderly
    If The Moon Turns Green
    Remember
    Autumn In New York
    My Man
    Lover, Come Back To Me
    Stormy Weather
    Yesterdays
    He's Funny That Way
    I Can't Face The Music

14. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I put this on in the car as I went running errands tonight. Very nice!

Lonson likes this.
  15. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Lol +1

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

This is a magic record, I picked it up a few years ago ( also cold like you) and on first listen it was first love. You are in for a treat and damned if I’m not jealous. A virginal Tina session , hot damn.

17. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Apparently he was experimenting with fishbowls but they were difficult to breath through so this mask is what they are currently using as it allows breathing but muffles almost all of his vocalisms. See pic below of him practicing with it for his next tour
    [​IMG]

18. Lonson

I think I would miss Keith's "vocalizing" if it weren't there; I've loved his music since '72 or so and it's just part of his art. He's amazing. Long live Keith.

19. Mugrug12

why the long face Keith?

Stu02 and xybert like this.
  20. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

Jerry Fielding’s score to the second sequel (3rd film in the series), The Enforcer, is also really good. Fielding is an under-appreciated genius.

Oliver likes this.
  21. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I wouldn’t worry bout that Dave, he’s just horse’n around.

xybert and Mugrug12 like this.
  22. Mugrug12

I wouldn’t look a sun bear in the mouth.

Erik B., Ray Cole, xybert and 2 others like this.
  23. vinylsolution

vinylsolution Forum Resident

Snow on the way, so.... Dino!

[​IMG]

24. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

George Benson - Beyond the Blue Horizon

(warm this place up and melt that snow)

25. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

It is dense, so maybe it will take awhile for me to appreciate it. After a few listens, I still really miss the bass clarinet from her prior album. It's not even like Shabaka Hutchings played some especially amazing lines. Like a lot of contemporary jazz lately, the music on both records seems almost through-composed, the soloists tucked into the ensemble. It's just that the bass clarinet + electric keys/bass is such a good sound. Shades of Bitches Brew textures. The new one has a bass clarinet played by George Crowley, but it's not nearly as prominent. I don't really notice it, honestly.