Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Bill Evans / Jim Hall - Undercurrent (Liberty UCCU-5759)

Need something smooth and warm to help me through the cold outside...it`s -22 Celsius in Montréal.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, Erik B., Noonie and 8 others like this.
  2. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

I just had a quick listen to this & picked up a CD copy for £2.66 online. I was needing a place to start with Ellington & this seems like as good a place as any. Thanks.

3. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Gerald Wilson: The Pacifiy Records #4

[​IMG]

lschwart, agedave, Dan Steele and 2 others like this.
  4. dennis the menace

Charles Mingus - Tijuana Moods (ORG ORG-174)

Man I love this album. Mingus is not only a great bass player and a fantastic composer but his arrangements are reminiscing of Duke Ellington. No wonder Mingus is citing Ellington as a huge influence.

This is the ORG SACD and this album sounds stunning !

GREAT album !!

[​IMG]

parkgrover, Xelfo, lschwart and 17 others like this.
  5. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

"People Getting Ready to Go See Eddie Harris"

1975 Atlantic Records • SD 18165

Eddie Harris: Vocal, Sax

Guitar/Guitorgan: Ronald Muldrow
    Bass: Bradley Bobo
    Drums: Paul Humphrey
    Organ: Odell Brown
    Percussion: Calvin Barnes

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    dennis the menace likes this.
  6. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Charles Tolliver Big Band Mosaic Select #3

[​IMG]

7. dennis the menace

Freddie Hubbard - Backlash (Atlantic WPCR-27073)

I admit that I overlook Hubbard`s releases on Atlantic. They don`t offer the same quality as his Blue Note of CTI`s output. Backlash is like a transition album for him. Although the band is less spectacular than those who accompanied him on Blue Note, the music is still swinging hard on some tracks (Backlash) and there`s also a peek at the avant-garde on Echoes Of Blue notably.

Not a great Hubbard album IMHO...and a truly terrible album cover.

[​IMG]

8. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Brandee Younger/ Soul Awakening (2019)

Some spiritual jazz to start the morning. I first heard Brandee's harp on Makaya McCraven's Universal Beings. People who have been into that album and Kamasi Washington lately probably would dig this, too. Of course you can't help but think of Alice Coltrane; I don't think Brandee minds. She even got Ravi to play on a couple of tunes!

[​IMG]

Here's a video of Brandee and Ravi performing last May:

9. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Two great artists who also recorded together in Italy a lot of years ago:

[​IMG]

A curiosity, the first violin was Umberto Benedetti Michelangeli, great classical pianist Arturo's nephew.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  10. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

Wise one

[​IMG]

Dan Steele, Fischman and frightwigwam like this.
  11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Np Chet Baker With Strings (Columbia) six eye mono lp

Easy, like Sunday mornng.

12. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

Another special one from that era is the Far East Suite. It's one of the last albums to feature Strayhorn compositions.

[​IMG]

Xelfo, Soulpope, Berthold and 9 others like this.
  13. dennis the menace

Charlie Haden / Joe Henderson - The Montréal Tapes Verve 530 999-6)

The Montréal International Jazz Festival decided that 1989 would be Charlie Haden`s Fest. Eight days of concerts, eight different bands and eight different sets.

The first of those concerts was June 30 and showcased Haden with Joe Henderson and Al Foster. Henderson is equal to himself...magnificent. You should take the time to listen to the first track, a version of `Round Midnight that is simply sublime.

This is coming from the box set The Montréal Tapes.

[​IMG]

jay.dee, Berthold, Erik B. and 6 others like this.
  14. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Duke is the rare artist who never really fell into decline or staid routine. New Orleans Suite, The Afro-Eurasian Eclipse, Latin American Suite, This One's for Blanton!, Togo Brava Suite, Soul Call, Eastbourne Performance (his final Orchestra tour, 1973) and Live at The Whitney (solo piano 1972), not to mention his Sacred Concerts, are some more rewarding recordings from his late years. Usually pushing himself to create something a little different, but even The Popular Duke Ellington, 1966 recordings of his greatest hits, is really good.

15. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Holy grail find alert! @Mugrug12 and @Yesternow I finally found one at Dusty Groove. The cover is beat to heck but the LP is in VG+ condition at least. Me forking out some $$ pretty much assures that the next Pure Pleasure Strata East release will be Long Before Our Mothers Cried! And I’ll probably buy that too. After this, about the only thing I have left at the top of my want list is what coincidentally @Berthold just posted, the Tolliver Big Band Mosaic

[​IMG]

16. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

IIRC, doesn’t Haden make a comment in the liner notes about not thinking Henderson would be as comfortable playing “out” as he does on this album?

17. dennis the menace

Been awhile since I read the notes...I`ll let you know !

Dan Steele likes this.
  18. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Are you saying there is a new reissued upcoming box of these shows? I sure hope so

jay.dee and dennis the menace like this.
  19. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I don't think so. . . I think that catalog number is for the previous box set. I believe all the discs are separately available (though OOP as well).

dennis the menace likes this.
  20. Crazysteve

Crazysteve Gonzo Party Member

My personal favorite trumpeter is Kenny Dorham. I have been informed how wrong I am again and again. So my second favorite trumpeter gets his due today. Both are astonishing. Period.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Xelfo, Berthold, vanhooserd and 8 others like this.
  21. Norgran Records MG N -1078 [compilation] " The Wailing Buddy Rich" - reissue by Polydor K.K., Japan in 1989
    a) Buddy Rich (dr) with Thad Jones (tp) / Joe Newman (tp) / Ben Webster (ts) / Frank Wess (ts) / Oscar Peterson (p) / Freddie Green (g) / Ray Brown (b) - rec. May 16, 1955
    b) Buddy (dr) with Harry Edison (tp) / Sonny Criss (as) / Jimmy Rowles (p) / John Simmons (b) - rec. August 26, 1955

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Norgran Records MG N-1094 "Odalisque" - "The Music Of Buddy De Franco"

a) The Buddy DeFranco Big Band with among others: Harry Edison / Conrad Gozzo / Joe Howard / Tommy Pedersen / George Roberts / Jimmy Giuffre / Wilbur Schwartz / arranged by Nelson Riddle - recorded September 1953
    b) The Buddy DeFranco Quartet with Sonny Clark (p) / Eugene Wright (b) / Bobby White (dr) - recorded April 7, 1954

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Agree, an excellent song and performance overall. I like all of them that I have (I'm missing the Egbert Gismonti show) but the one with Joe is one of my favorites.

NP Mose Allison - I Don't Worry About A Thing (Atlantic) plum mono label

Trio with Addison Farmer (b) and Osie Johnson (d) from 1962. This is the album with Your Mind Is On Vacation, a favorite of mine.

24. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

I’m considering going to this guy’s concert tonight. Should I go?

Scott Henderson

Erik B., bluemooze and Fischman like this.
  25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I played that last week and almost grabbed Awakening to spin a few minutes ago but decided on Mose Allison instead.

bluemooze, Tim 2 and Dan Steele like this.