Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Wow! Thanks for posting! Is that from July 16th, 1988? The concert that produced Erzulie Maketh Scent? Or perhaps June 20th in East Berlin?

Athalwolf and NorthNY Mark like this.
  2. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Its right there!! My garlic is up too. I throw a little blood meal on it when i remember. Getting back to the garden and all that hippie'love'peace'granola stuff, y'know.

Athalwolf, Ant G and Fender Relic like this.
  3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I really don’t know but likely the latter.

FREE MUSIC PRODUCTION (FMP) - The History

Athalwolf likes this.
  4. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Yes, Cecil's clothing and hat do not correspond to the photos in the Erzulie Maketh Scent booklet. I do not own the East Berlin 2CD.

Athalwolf likes this.
  5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Erzulie Maketh Scent is one of the best CT solo discs. I love it.

Athalwolf and Sorcerer like this.
  6. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

And the music sounds more down to earth than Erzulie Maketh Scent.

Athalwolf likes this.
  7. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

It is available on SACD from Analogue Productions and the sound is worth every penny.

Various Artists-The Sound Of Jazz-Hybrid 3-Channel Stereo SACD|Acoustic Sounds

Athalwolf likes this.
  8. dennis the menace

Wow...amazing indeed !!

Athalwolf and NorthNY Mark like this.
  9. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Curtis Fuller: The Opener

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Erik B., Athalwolf and 7 others like this.
  10. dennis the menace

Thelonious Monk - It`s Monk`s Time (Columbia CK-63532)

[​IMG]

11. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

RVG Edition

The title track is a classic! But I don't like like the sound of this edition. Sounds bright, brittle and dry as sandpaper.

12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

The actual television broadcast is on the 1984 LP titled "The Real Sound of Jazz (Pumpkin 116; USA label), including the complete show.

Billie Holiday's portion (only) of the actual broadcast is on the 12 CD bootleg collection boxset issued in Italy and Japan.

The actual broadcast differs from the rehearsal as Thelonious Monk was added to the broadcast (not in rehearsal). Gerry Mulligan was also not in the rehearsal (the official LP).

The solos differ. Some longer, some shorter, some not in one or the other. Overall, the music and solos on the live broadcast were considered to be better.

Here is a copy of the cover from Discogs, where copies are available at LOW prices. This is essential for completists of Billie, Lester and Monk.

John S. Wilson of the New York Times wrote an extended piece about the Pumpkin LP, which I clipped and still have, but I did not get the date. My search of the NYTimes data base was taking too long to find it for this post. I assume I clipped the article in 1984.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    PADYBU, bluemooze, peter1 and 7 others like this.
  13. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

In memory of Hal Willner:

14. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

NP
    Kenny Wheeler
    Deer Wan 1978 ECM
    W
    Garbarek (T&S sax)
    Abercrombie (g)
    Holland (b)
    DeJohnette (d)
    Towner (ac)
    I[​IMG]
    I believe this was a record i found with a small group of jazz records decades ago but for many years I didnt play it as I was generally biased against Manfreds ‘sound’ ( especially from the late 70s on) but over the last decade and especially over the last 5 years I have dropped my biased baggage and the label and this record in particular are really opening up to me.

15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I dislike the ECM sound myself. The early recordings were great -- something like Conference of the Birds is so crisp and present, and some of the '70s live recordings too -- but the stuff just got soupier and soupier as time went on. I've learned to live with it because the music is often so good, but I often wish I could turn a de-soup-ifying knob on my ECM records, they can be so dank and murky, which I find also tends to suck the energy out of the music and rob all the snap from the transients. When I listen, for example, to something like Vijay Iyer's Break Stuff or Far From Over, I sometimes get frustrated and distracted by the sound. The sound is different, but I have a similar reaction to a lot of the Van Gelder recordings of the '60s -- a lot of the time I have to listen around the sound to hear the music.

jay.dee, Athalwolf, Sorcerer and 6 others like this.
  16. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Agreed 100%. And yes Confluence is wondrous
    But like you said it is worth persevering and the ECM thread here is a good spot for sorting through and finding gems

Athalwolf and Fender Relic like this.
  17. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I never thought that ECM records were about musical "energy", though I recognize that one does not always need such energy in all music.

18. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I know what you mean, im trying to keep our small 3 person office afloat and have extra time on my hands to worry . I am hoping the government bailout will help with my staff salaries, we are just below the surface right now but at least i can currently still see sun shining above the surface overhead..

19. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

J. J. Johnson & Bobby Jaspar Quintet #1

[​IMG]

20. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

I have the Analogue Productions récord and this is such a great sounding recording. It’s worth it just to hear Billie Holiday and Lester Young together. Trying to stay the course of more vinyl but this appeals to me. Always looking for great audio on either format.
    Thanks for heads up. I am trying to continue to buy from folks like Accoustic Sounds, MusicDirect and Plaidroom récords during this tough time for retailers.
    Peace, be safe!

21. dennis the menace

Plaidroom ? Do not know this one. I`ll have to check it out. Thank you !!

Athalwolf likes this.
  22. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I don't know what you're talking about, there's all different kinds of music on ECM recordings, but they're all made to sound the same regardless of what the music is "about." A rim shot as a certain sound. When a drummer plays it, he's expressing a certain sound. It can either be represented on the recording as the sound that was played, or it can be manipulated into something else. The ECM records always give you the ECM sound regardless of what the musicians are doing. When I hear something like Vijay Iyer's Break Stuff, I feel like a can't even hear what's being played. It's dark and murky and it's like I'm listening to the music through layers and layers of fuzzy, music-obscuring gauze. I can't even tell what the musicians are doing. It's like watching a movie that's completely out of focus. I have the same experience with say the Dave Holland '90 and 2000s ensemble ECMs. There's ton of musical energy in those performances, but the sound of the recordings on something like Extended Play, for example, seems to be burying half of it. But I'm not talking about the energy in the performances, I'm talking about just what the music actually sounds like when it's played vs. when it come out of an ECM recording.

jay.dee, Sorcerer, ATR and 1 other person like this.
  23. Athalwolf

Athalwolf Tu be or not tu be? That is the question.

The speakers are Altec 19's.

Ant G likes this.
  24. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Added anything including " energy "is not good. imo

Athalwolf likes this.
  25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

"Bright, brittle, dry as sandpaper"--the McLean formula!

I admit I do like the sound of this album on the Japanese RVG LP facsimile release and probably the best sounding overall is the Japanese Blu-ray Audio disc.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020