Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

No. This might become my preferred version. As I said above, I believe no extra compression, but it did have some 'help' compared to the flat transfer like all other releases of this album, vinyl or digital. Whoever did these 2020 remasters got it exactly right.

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Thanks. Looking forward to. . . yet another version of ALS.

Sorcerer likes this.
  3. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Miles Davis: At The Blackhawk #3

[​IMG]

4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

A few other high-level recommendations:
    • Strange Strings (madness)
    • Strange Celestial Road (a good companion to Lanquidity)
    • Sleeping Beauty (another good companion to Lanquidity)
    • Angels and Demons at Play (cosmic big band plus other stuff)
    • The Nubians of Plutonia
    • We Travel the Spaceways
    • Bad and Beautiful
    • Visits Planet Earth
    • Interstellar Low Ways
    • For their take on standards: Sound Sun Pleasure and Holiday for Soul Dance
    Several of these can be found on 2-fer CDs from Evidence.

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Creative people tend to relax with intensity!

Louis had many reasons to use two tape decks on tour. He could be recording a broadcast (they still had many live broadcasts in Europe) while listening to his favorites on another deck, or taping his memoirs. He could tape a borrowed record, while listening to something else. He could be searching one reel while playing another. He could be overdubbing.

I wish the Armstrong museum would release more of his spoken tapes!

Some of Louis' reel to reel tape boxes, which he personally decorated with collage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

You can read all about it. I once posted some lengthy stuff about this

[​IMG]

This history is quoted from the Louis Armstrong museum:

On this day in 1957, Louis Armstrong sent a famous telegram to President Dwight Eisenhower in the middle of the Little Rock Central High School integration crisis. Just a few days earlier, in Grand Forks, North Dakota, Armstrong blow his top, blasting Governor Orval Faubus for being "two-faced" and President Eisenhower for having "no guts" to let Faubus call in the National Guard in to prevent black students from integrating the high school. "The way they are treating my people in the South, the government can go to hell," he barked. "It's getting so bad a colored man hasn't got any country."

Armstrong put his entire career on the line to speak out against injustice as his North Dakota comments made headlines around the world. However, a recently discovered private reel-to-reel tape owned by Armstrong found the trumpeter venting about Faubus and the Little Rock situation to interviewers on September 8 and September 10. He had spent over a week telling anyone who would listen about the injustice going on in Little Rock but it wasn't until reporter Larry Lubenow of North Dakota ran with Armstrong's comments that the story blew up.

Armstrong received little support at the time, instead getting more criticism from both the white and black press. Today, his stance is celebrated as a landmark moment in Civil Rights. He knew what he had done. He cut out various clipping about the incident, wrapped them in Scotch tape and stuck them in a scrapbook. This is Armstrong's copy of a Pittsburgh Courier story about his Little Rock comments, containing some of his fiercest comments. We're glad he saved it and we're glad he spoke out. Thank you, Pops and thank you, Larry Lubenow, who passed away earlier this year

jcarter, Gabe Walters, Plinko and 7 others like this.
  7. DR.J

DR.J Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Sunday morning music. Went into the city last night to visit my daughter. She lives in a west loop high rise. We had a great day. Dinner at a sidewalk Place (Randolph Street is closed to traffic for now) and a couple cocktails in a great, reopened, cocktail bar. Masks (till you sit) and temperatures taken. Feels like theater but....the city was hopping!

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Big dealings in our town yesterday. The High School decided to have graduation and most kids did not wear masks. The Superintendent of Schools should be fired.

No one really likes sitting through graduation anyway.

In the 1960's, I was the school graduation speaker. I switched the speech that was approved by the English Department Chairman, and delivered my own speech where I demanded that the education system be overhauled to stop the separations in our society. At the end, I was shocked that I got a huge ovation. Later, I realized the ovation was because I kept it under 5 minutes, while everyone else yammered on for five times that.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    frightwigwam and Jazzmonkie like this.
  9. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I have the recent Japanese CD reissue of Black, Brown and Beautiful (CDSOL-45715) and was disappointed in the sound quality, though not the music. I guess the original vinyl must have been better.

10. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Believe it or not, I still haven`t received either Crescent, Live At Birdland or A Love Supreme that were initially shipped to me last April 22. The order came back to CDJapan that reshipped via DHL and now scheduled to get to me by Tuesday. FINALLY !!!

Stu02, davidpoole and Lonson like this.
  11. dennis the menace

Art Blakey - Moanin` (Blue Note UCCU-40120)

Speaking of MQA/UHQCD releases, this is one of the best sounding from the Blue Note`s batch of two years ago.

Not a bad album either needless to say…

[​IMG]

12. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    2013 Sunnyside

An amazing listening experience if you're into dark, beautiful harmonies and modern guitar. Features Skuli Sverrisson and John Patitucci on bass, Ted Poor on drums, and Theo Bleckmann on wordless vocals.

13. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

You said you didn’t like Miles post 1959. Have you tried listening to Birth of the Cool and his work on Prestige. Miles was involved in so many different jazz styles, it’s hard not to find one.

14. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Miles Davis & John Coltrane: The Columbia Records #3

[​IMG]

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I always thought that the designers of this box decided to mess with collectors' minds. ("What? Is this box all scuffed up?")

I think it would have been much improved by enlarging the image of Miles and Trane and dropping the red duotone.

Black and white! There is a reason that photographs were not traditionally printed in color duotones. It is inferior and detracts from the subject of the image.

jcarter and Berthold like this.
  16. dennis the menace

Seems to be just what I`m looking for right now. Thanks for the suggestion !

StarThrower62 likes this.
  17. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I recently got the MQA/UHQCD of Somethin' Else and thought it was really good.

dennis the menace likes this.
  18. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I had two CDs shipped separately on 27 and 30 March from CD Japan, just before Tokyo prefecture went into lockdown, and they are still not here or been returned to CD Japan. Both shipped standard airmail without tracking. That's one reason why I use CD Banq Taiwan for the Impulse! MQAs at the moment. Standard airmail is cheaper from Taiwan and all arrive in 2 weeks, with one worrying exception (the two new Cecil Taylors which have now shipped almost a month ago).

SOONERFAN and dennis the menace like this.
  19. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

God, I love the look of that whole office. Wood everywhere: the desk, the walls, probably the floor and the ceiling, the lamps, phone, etc.

frightwigwam and Tribute like this.
  20. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Ike Quebec - Blue & Sentimental. (Blue Note) 1988 cd
    A little wake up music. High temp dropped 15 degrees yesterday so it's very cool this morning.

Stu02, Berthold, vanhooserd and 5 others like this.
  21. dennis the menace

The Poll Winners - The Poll Winners (Stereo Sound SSCR-003)

Il love this trio and this album. Barney Kessel is shining through all the songs. Their version of On Green Dolphin Street is terrific.

From the Stereo Sound Contemporary Records SACD boxset Vol. 1

[​IMG]

22. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Miles Davis has anything to do with my words. I talked about a way approaching to jazz for newbies.
    Listening to it for a same instrument (tenor saxophone or clarinet or drums or trumpet and so on) might be an helpful experience so that one can see the changes, the evolution, the different styles.
    That's all.

23. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Now playing : Herbie Hancock - Head Hunters
    & Reading Steven F. Pond's Head Hunters: The Making of Jazz's First Platinum Album

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  24. Irish51

Irish51 Senior Member

Ha! I am listening to this now. Just came across your post!

dennis the menace likes this.
  25. dennis the menace

Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin` (Blue Note / AudioWave AWMXR-0003)

This is an album I`m listening enough to. Recorded in January 1958 with a great sounding band consisting of Clark (p.), Art Farmer (t.), Jackie McLean (as.), Paul Chambers on bass and Philly Joe Jones on drums.

And those legs…

[​IMG]

KCLizard, Stu02, Crazysteve and 14 others like this.