Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. David Sonnier

David Sonnier Forum Resident

I find side 2 of Wayne Shorter’s “Etcetera” incredibly good. Barracudas and Indian Song kind if mesmerizes me.

The drumming in Barracudas is really good.

I bought this just because it was a Tone Poet remaster and I wanted to check these reissues out. Had never heard it before.

2. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

It's one of my favourite Tone Poet releases. A great album.

trd, Erik B. and Fender Relic like this.
  3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think I was attracted to mathematics as a little kid when I learned that if you multiplied two negative numbers you got a positive.

It's too bad it doesn't work that way in politics. All you get is negativity.

4. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Disc 1 Miles Ahead.

[​IMG]

5. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Max Roach / Abdullah Ibrahim - Streams Of Consciousness

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

trd, Starwanderer, peter1 and 5 others like this.
  6. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

NP: Chick Corea - N0w He Sings, Now He Sobs

Late 80's McMaster CD

I know it's not the classic track listings like my vinyl copy but I love the mix of the extra tracks with the originals on the original CD issue.

[​IMG]

7. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I rarely play comps anymore but this morning this one sounds just right to start off the day.

[​IMG]

Six String and dennis the menace like this.
  8. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Another hot day, and rest of week, in store here. Forecast is another four days of dry hot weather before any rain this weekend. Temps in the mid 90s (35 C). A little cooler now as the almost full moon goes down in the west and the sun starts its climb over the hills in the east. Planning to get a 25 mile ride on the roads this morning and Ill pick a route ith lots of shade trees. Right now, its jazz with Jimmy Woods.
    [​IMG]
    More Images
    Jimmy Woods ‎– Awakening!!
    Tracklist
    1 Awakening! 4:06
    2 Circus 4:21
    3 Not Yet 7:55
    4 A New Twist 3:37
    5 Love For Sale 6:37
    6 Roma 5:11
    7 Little Jim 5:44
    8 Anticipation 4:01
    Credits
    Notes
    1, 2, 4, 5, 8 Recorded on September 13, 1961 in Los Angeles, CA
    3, 6, 7 Recorded on February 19, 1962 in Los Angeles, CA

9. as from Bob Dylan: Times are achanging and so does taste for music.
    ;-]]

10. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

I would say so, yes. Better definition. This new MQA/UHQCD series is really impressive.

SOONERFAN and Sorcerer like this.
  11. RCA Victor NL-45632 [FSR reissue 1984] - Dick Collins And The Runaway Herd " Horn Of Plenty" - rec. 1954 -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vanhooserd and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  12. RCA Victor NL-45991 [FSR reissue 1986] - Peter Jolly "Suo / Trio / Quartet" - rec. 1955 - featuring Bill Perkins in the 4tet section

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Fender Relic

Have a care on that bike. I walk 3 miles a day and it takes me the rest of the morning to recover. I have been trying to get my guitar skills/strength back but I know I'll never be the same when I'm on the losing end.

14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Halfway through the year, and what a horror and grind its been, a real season of death and loss around here, in my county of just around a million people where COVID-19 claimed around 1,500 lives. While I know many folks who have contracted the disease and recovered from it without hospitalizations, I also know many whose mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, husbands, succumbed. My own life has been upended but in ways I feel lucky about -- with my daughter and her boyfriend occupying what used to me my music room (maybe someday I'll get to listen to music with something other than headphones again), and with having to work to establish new work processes so the government entity I work for could continue to operate during the crisis. Which I think, goes a long way towards explaining why, now, looking back on some of the new jazz records of the first half, they're a blur to me -- music I only half remember, and a Qobuz playlist of new albums I haven't even gotten to yet or have heard only a single time with a distracted mind.

One album that I do keep returning to that delivers so much of what I love -- great sound, a sense of history, idiosyncratic personality, playing from the sound out -- is Matthew Shipp's latest solo recording, The Piano Equation. I've heard Matthew Ship on record solo, as a leader and as a sideman for years and years, and while I've always loved the way he uses the whole piano and summons rumbling clouds of sound from the instrument's lower depths, his music has rarely hit home for me until this year when I've found myself listening to more and more of it.

[​IMG]

Anybody else have any new jazz recordings from the first half of this year they've been digging?

The new Irreversible Entanglements is on my list. I'm going to go back through a bunch I heard but can barely remember now from Dave Douglas and Ambrose Akinmusire and Whit Dickey and Daniel Carter's Welcome Adventure Vol 1. There's that great Fred Hersch/Esperanza Spaulding Vanguard EP, I wonder if a whole album is coming. I dunno, like I said, it's all a blur.

15. dennis the menace

I`ve been enjoying the new "Kurt Rosenwinkel Trio" album, Angels Around. I`m glad he came back to a trio setting, it fits his music well.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  16. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I've not listened to a lot of new jazz releases, but standouts so far have been Tom Misch & Yusef Dayes What Kinda Music, Nduduzo Makhathini Modes Of Communication... , Ambrose Akinmusire On The Tender Spot... and John Scofield Swallow Tales.

17. dennis the menace

Charles Mingus - Three Or Four Shades Of Blues (Atlantic 7567-81403 2)

The Mingus "fusion" album featuring an all-star guitar line-up of Jon Scofield, Larry Coryell and Philip Catherine.

Recorded in March 1977 when Mingus was already impacted by ALS, so bass duties assumed by George Mraz and Ron Carter.

Ironically...this was the best selling album of his career with over 50 000 units sold during his lifetime.

[​IMG]

18. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Hank Jones: For My Father

[​IMG]

19. Just got hold of this knockout 1960s BLUES title and was so bowled over with it I thought it worth mentioning here.

[​IMG]

easy listening blues - B. B. KING (Ace / Crown) CD remaster - issued 2004

I almost missed out on this top notch release (probably due to the title) and only recently became aware it was an all instrumental album! One listen and I was completely hooked! The music is all superb and includes the original 1962 'Easy Listening Blues' Crown LP (tracks most likely recorded 1961) plus a few unissued Modern, Kent & RPM sides & two others that were previously issued on an older 1987 Ace compilation. The CD is presented in excellent sound quality & includes a 6 page fold out booklet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Malcolm Addey did the 1988 CD (remix and mastering). Ron McMaster is responsible for the awful 2002 CD.

21. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Thanks. I ride mid morning off traffic hours on some fairly deserted back country roads and steep hills (just to make it fun)

"It's not dark yet...but its gettin' there....."

Fender Relic likes this.
  22. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Sometime ago I got a friend request on facebook from Karl Evangelista. We had some musician friends in common and I accepted his request, which led to my being informed of his new release that features stalwarts Alexander Hawkins, Louis Moholo, and Trevor Watts. Karl is a young man compared to the three European Jazz icons he recruited to record with him. So it's guitar, piano, drums, and saxophone. A two CD package available from Bandcamp. I'm also listening to the new trio led by keyboardist Dave Bryant, formerly of Prime Time, with Charnett Moffett and Gregg Bendian. Aside from that I've been sidetracked down the Keith Tippett rabbit hole. Despite the fact that I was fairly familiar with his recordings, or so I thought, I found that there was much more to discover. Namely his Mujician ensemble with Levin, Rogers, and Dunmall which is some of the best free improvising I've encountered in years. I also reacquainted myself with his solo recordings, where he produces a larger variety of sound that's more orchestral from the acoustic piano. His music is quite consonant, in a Keith Jarrett way, but he also visits territories I've previously heard explored by people like LaMonte Young and John Tilbury. Apura!, by Karl Evangelista w/Alexander Hawkins, Louis Moholo-Moholo, and Trevor Watts Night Visitors, by Dave Bryant

23. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Does the 2020 MQA have all the tenor overdubs Coltrane did afterwards? The Tower Records Japan exclusive SACD from 3 or so years ago reportedly sounded best yet (then) compared to the AP SACD, but missed the overdubs. As a consequence there was less saxophone. Earlier generation tape used? I could try to dig up the thread where this is discussed. The other Coltrane Tower Records Japan SACDs sounded awful with the exception of Ballads which sounded practically the same as the flat transfer of the 2013 Platinum SHM-CD.

I have never owned a copy of the Johnny Hartman album and am planning to order the MQA soon.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  24. Fender Relic

You do have some ups and downs on your backroads. Out to the country club and the golf course...ridin' my bike cause I ain't got no horse.

Second spin of the day...only copy (this) I've ever had blue label white b is OK but I want an upgrade and I need a good player of Vol.1 as well.

[​IMG]

Starwanderer, vanhooserd, SJR and 6 others like this.
  25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

But you would be missing the mono edition which has superior balance