Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I love Joe Pass too but Fender Jazzmasters,Jaguars,Mustangs...:unhunh:....I never could get along with any of those models.
    There's a rumor that Hank Garland might have used a Jazzmaster on a 1958 session with Elvis. :shrug:

JazzFanatic, Fischman and Lonson like this.
  2. Irish51

Irish51 Senior Member

[​IMG]

Chick Corea and Gary Burton
    In Concert, Zurich, October 28, 1979

Chick Corea - Piano
    Gary Burton - Vibraphone

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

That's cool. Guitars are very subjective things, like many other things. I love Strats, don't really like Teles. When I can spend enough time on them I get used to Gibson scale and like my ES-250 a lot and the one Les Paul I have.

I'm not a big fan of Jaguars but I do like the Jazzmaster bridge and twin circuit, and I have a Bass VI that I really dig as well as a baritone Jaguar (called a 'Bottom Master' unfortunately.)

I haven't been able to cope with any of the "offsets" with the smaller scale.

One of my favorite Willie Nelson lps has him playing a Jazzmaster.

4. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Other thing , I remember about that evening, it was in February and VERY, VERY COLD, the exact oppoasite of what we are going through now...

5. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Milt Jackson - Ballads & Blues (Atlantic) Japanese 20bit K2 cd

7. dennis the menace likes this.
  8. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Are 70s Riversides any good?

davidpoole likes this.
  9. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

This may help

ParloFax likes this.
  10. Levi's Tubs

Levi's Tubs Less cool than West Coast

Listening to the AP 45 of Grant Green's Idle Moments. Great stuff, love cocktail jazz. Thanks to the chap in the MM thread who recommended this one. The Acoustic Sounds reviews of this release being of poor quality are not relevant to my copy.

11. Sorry, wrong album on my part! I was thinking instead of the "Live à Montréal" one...

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Np Grant Green - Sunday Mornin'. (Blue Note) 1999 24bit Japanese RVG Remaster

I don't play this GG as much as the others but when I do it is always enjoyable, especially on a Sunday morn'.

13. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Great album! It's a pity that the CD reissue only features six tracks.
    Later on, the two missing tracks (if I'm not wrong the third side of the double LP) have been included in an ECM boxset.

In Concert, Zürich, October 28, 1979 - Wikipedia

Irish51, Levi's Tubs and Lonson like this.
  14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Thomas Bell and the Contemporary Jazz Quartet "Another Dimension" Atlantic/Warner CD Japan
    [​IMG]
    One of the first LPs I ever owned was the mono copy of the original release of this LP. A Peace Corps volunteer my father directed gave this to me, as part of a box of records Atlantic gave to each volunteer, and he didn't like jazz so he gave me three of the records from the box. This was one of them. A part of the start of my jazz journey (my parents had some swing records and some Brubeck and Ellington from the 'fifties).

Tim 2, WorldB3, Erik B. and 1 other person like this.
  15. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

Poivrots Névrosés

16. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Analogue Productions reissue...

[​IMG]

Berthold, peter1, Sorcerer and 7 others like this.
  17. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Johnny Griffin - Introducing Johnny Griffin
    [​IMG]

You like it fast? Well, strap in when you drop the needle on this one! The opening "Mil Dew" is a scorcher with Griffin's sax ripping wild licks at warp speed. Fortunately, Griffin mixes it up, trading a little shred for some swing on the second cut, "Chicago Calling," a cut on which the wonderful Wynton Kelly really shines with a bluesy and bouncy extended solo. After that, the transition continues with a full fledged ballad, "These Foolish Things," which has Griffin showing his lyrical side. "Nice and Easy" is nice and soulful. The rest of the album is a nice mix, but I find the fast tempo not altogether suited to "The Way You Look Tonight." The album closes with one of Jazz' great ol' warhorses, "Cherokee," which is often presented at lightning speed, but ironically our speed demon here finds a nice tempo overall, controlling the sprints in his solo for a very nice rendition.

18. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Your memory is better than mine !!!

19. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident

[​IMG]

Yesternow is going on vacation!

Don't start jumping already... It's just one week and I'll keep on checking your posts via mobile.

First time ever I'm not taking CDs with me. I'll play some Spotify when possible. Didn't replace my latest discman that got broke, and the car doesn't have cd player... And I don't have to explain why I'm taking so many CDs to my wife.

She's a vocal jazz fan. So, at least while eating we'll have some Jazz in the background (bluetooth speakers). Yesterday we had some trials, I even sneaked in some Chet Baker. I find amazing how well she knows the lyrics. It will be a time for me to try that kind of Jazz, which is very far from being my favorite.

Some Jobim and Jazz with bossa flavor is allways good in summer with family too.

Next time I post I'll have my feet in the sand.

PS: Vocal jazz suggestions? My wife has several Diana Krall CDs. But if I have to go that direction I prefer the classics.

JeffMo, jcarter, Xelfo and 6 others like this.
  20. Vogue [10"] LD 204 & 205 [ Japan 1998] - " The Third Herdmen Blow Paris Vol 1 & 2 - rec April / May 1954 Paris

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vanhooserd and dennis the menace like this.
  21. Pacific Jazz Records PJLP 15 [Japan] - Chet Baker Sextet - rec. 1954 - Engineer: Richard Bock

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robitjazz, Erik B., jonwoody and 2 others like this.
  22. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Billie Holiday/ Songs for Distingue Lovers
    Dinah Washington/ Dinah Jams, For Those in Love, Dinah!
    Anita O'Day/ Trav'lin' Light, Incomparable!, Pick Yourself Up, Swings Cole Porter
    Ella Fitzgerald/ Sings the Duke Ellington Song Book, Ella and Louis
    Peggy Lee/ Black Coffee, Things Are Swingin'
    Julie London/ All Through the Night: Julie London Sings the Choicest Cole Porter, Around Midnight, Julie... At Home
    Gretchen Parlato/ In a Dream, The Lost and Found
    Annie Ross/ Sings a Song with Mulligan
    June Christy/ Something Cool
    Rosemary Clooney/ Rosemary Solves the Swinging Riddle, Blue Rose w/ Duke Ellington
    Nat King Cole/ L-O-V-E, The Very Thought of You
    Louis Prima/ The Wildest

23. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Robitjazz, mwheelerk, Tim 2 and 14 others like this.
  24. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

...surprise her with some Etta James. ;):agree: Enjoy the time my friend! :cheers:

25. No, sorry!