Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Art Farmer & Benny Golson Jazztet: The Argo & Mercury Sessions #1

[​IMG]

2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

3. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

NP:

John Zorn - Filmworks IX: Trembling Before G-D

[​IMG]

4. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Lee Morgan - Search For The New Land (Blue Note CDP-7 84169 2)

This album needs an audiophile treatment (UHQCD, SACD, XRCD, etc.). It`s too good !!

[​IMG]

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I don't disagree, but the SHM-CD from 2015 sounds pretty good.

dennis the menace likes this.
  6. An instrument not too often heard in jazz is the accordion. Beside the early George Shearing there exist some artists which really swing on that instrument.
    I would name Tommy Gumina, Art Van Damme & Mat Mathews.
    The latter is featured in that 1975 german reissue series 'Jazz Lab' (original MCA Coral) on Vol. 15 of the series. Highly recommended.

MCA Coral 6.22071 AK [PCO 7351] - Mat Mathews Quintet & Quartet feat. Herbie Mann - rec. 1953 & 1954

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Six String

Six String Senior Member

As does the Music Matters 45 RPM Pressing though I’m pretty certain you guys are talking digital. It might be my favorite album by Lee Morgan.

WP earlier Charlie Haden & Chris Anderson - None But The Lonely Heart (Naim)

NP David Murray - Special Quartet (DIW) U.S. Sony cd
    Quartet includes McCoy Tyner, Fred Hopkins and Elvin Jones from 1991.

8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I'm sure that does sound great, we were talking digital. It's a great album!

dennis the menace likes this.
  9. alamo54us

alamo54us Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    I've been reading Terry Teachout's Ellington bio (controversial, I know) and taking a deep dive into Duke's catalog. This one came in the mail today and I'm loving it.

10. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Michel Sardaby - Gail
    [​IMG]

A recent discovery for me, Michel Sardaby is a most welcome addition to my listening canon. It seems he, who is equally at home on acoustic or electric keys, can bring together a multitude of styles on an album and have it all work exceptionally well. In just the first four songs on Gail, he opens with a gorgeous ballad (self titled), goes mostly neo-bop on the following "Spindrift," hits a commercial but delightfully enticing streak on "Ten Kisses Short as one," and then drops one of the all time essential jazz funk greats with "Welcome New Warmth." It's better than a variety show because it has all the variety, yet it's all great!

11. AxiomAcoustics

AxiomAcoustics "The enemy is listening"

It was, I guess I was thinking of the easiest way to include those two titles since Leng Tch'e was included at the end of that boxed set. I was considering Black Box as an earlier and less-molested version. Contains original artwork too!

Mirror Image likes this.
  12. AxiomAcoustics

Ummmm, you forgot an "audiophile acronym": AAA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it sounds pretty sweet :D I know it was not their bag but one thing I wish Music Matters would have done is to offer the titles they did in SACD/XRCD format like AP typically did. I say "did" because the new AP reissue series has no SACD complement to the vinyl titles. One of my favorite Morgan joints.

13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

I have the MM SRX and it is sublime. One of my favourite Lee Morgan records.

14. AxiomAcoustics

You could always enlist the services of one E. J. Fudd. He may not get rid of your problem but it'd be a scream watching him try!

[​IMG]

15. AxiomAcoustics

Mine is the "original" MM 33 so I decided to not re-buy those titles, especuially at the price they are charging. It's a stunner for sure!

Edit: My DP 26 box arrives tomorrow:thumbsup: Did you order a copy? (Listening to the CD version off and on today)

alarickc and SJR like this.
  16. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

>(Biff Jones said: ↑)
    >Note to Mr. Tirebiter, if you are listening:

>George, I would appreciate an update on how your rabbit traps are working. I’m not one to go after the little critters but the rascals are dining on our petunia bed daily and in the >process interrupting our ability to give full focus to the music at hand. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey Biff,
    The rabbits around here aren't as easy to catch as the skunks, at least lately. Both animals tend to just walk into un-baited traps that I set around the garden.
    It's easy. Probably even easier with bait!!!

See you on the Funway,
    Porge

17. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Very nice. Actually, I bought this late last night. I bought the 20th Anniversary reissue of the Black Box, which just reissues the older box set and there’s no remastering (thankfully).

AxiomAcoustics likes this.
  18. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Thursday night spin

[​IMG]

19. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

I sorted my library by chronologically now playing 1965:

[​IMG]

Next up 1963

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

And this is why I still subscribe to both Qobuz and Tidal, Qobuz nothing but Tidal has International Premiere of his Jazz Symphoniy No 1 queued up for later.

21. TheNightfly1982

TheNightfly1982 Forum Resident

22. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Pat Metheny Group, Tokyo Japan, 4/22/05. Excellent audience recording of a great performance.

23. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Ivan “Boogaloo Joe” Jones - Snake Rhythm Rock (Prestige) 1973 vinyl
    Recorded by Rudy. It’s some seriously greasy funk for the evening. I was in the mood for some soul jazz tonight so this seemed like a good starting place.

24. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

Vinnie Sperrazza
    Juxtaposition

[​IMG]

25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP Charles Kynard - Reelin’ With The Feelin’ (Prestige) stereo OJC LP
    With Wilton Felder, Joe Pass, Carol Kaye! And Paul Humphries. Actually equally surprised that Joe Pass is on this funky nugget.