Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

This disc is composed of two Shirley 1961 sessions, Hip Shout and Hip Twist, both with Mr. T., Stanley Turrentine. They are soul jazz sessions and there is some inspired playing from the both of them. For my money, I always prefer her bluesy playing to Jimmy Smith’s.

[​IMG]

Next up is Leon Spencer’s Sneak Preview, a funky soulish record, featuring Leon on organ, Virgil Jones on trumpet, Grover Washington, Jr. on tenor sax (then unknown) and Buddy Caldwell on conga. Some great playing and songs. A great addition to Where I’m Coming Ftom, which I picked up a few months ago.

2. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

One of my favorite albums.

For some reason it is not in either Amazon Music HD or Apple Music. I wonder why?

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  3. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Picked up a jazz lot this week that included these 4 jazz titles featuring Johnny Smith and his band on the Roost label. I hadn't heard of him before and when I researched him I was pleasantly surprised his recordings on Roost were highly thought of (and most out of print). Not bad for a couple of bucks each.
    Did listen to The Johnny Smith Quartet earlier. Some really great smooth jazz guitar playing. Very enjoyable.
    [​IMG]

4. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Finishing up listening to the 2020 RogueArt CD release of the Steve Swell Soul Travellers Quintet's Astonishments. Leena Conquest is on two of the tracks, and this serves as another piece of evidence for my opinion that she is among the most under-recorded currently working artists.
    [​IMG]

jay.dee, bluemooze, GnuHigh and 6 others like this.
  5. alarickc

alarickc Vinylholic

Damn can Pharaoh blow the crap out of a ballad. I think I like this mode of Sanders as much as the early Impulse albums.
    [​IMG]

6. Ray Cole

Ray Cole Senior Member

Glad you checked it out. Turkish jazz is not widely known here and I if I recall correctly, it's the YouTube algorithm I have to thank for putting tracks from this album in front of me. It really is one of my favorite (by which I mean, most-played) jazz albums released in the last 5 years. It's what inspired me to finally check out Aydin Esen, who is also from Turkey. I was a little bit aware of Esen because I follow Rick Beato's YouTube channel and Rick went to music school with Esen and sometimes extols Esen's awesomeness as an improviser. Before listening to Esen's Trio album, I sampled a few tracks of his from various albums. His 2006 album, Extinction, opens with a pretty interesting free improvisation. His album, Light Years, (also released in 2006) is like something from another planet, from what I've sampled from it from YouTube. I ended up buying digital downloads of all three albums (Trio, Light Years, and Extinction). Of the three, Trio is by far the most straight-ahead. I gave it a first listen all the way through today and enjoyed it, and now I'm looking forward to listening to the other two (probably tomorrow as it's already getting late here for me).

7. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

This being Venus Records, does it sound compressed to hell?

8. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    McCoy Tyner Inner Voices (Milestone)

9. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

+1
    ( I love to record cover sleuth as well)

10. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Nice back to back choices. Love both those !

11. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

with thanks to @Tribute

Shorty Rogers & His Giants: The Quintet Sessions #1

[​IMG]

peter1, bluemooze, alarickc and 2 others like this.
  12. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

GARY BARTZ NTU TROOP | HARLEM BUSH MUSIC_UHURU | MILESTONE | 1971 | US FIRST STEREO PRESSING MPS 9032 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Classic Jazz Funk album by Gary Bartz with Ron Carter and the prominent voice of Andy Bey. Highlights are "Blue (A Folk Tale)" and "Celestial Blues", but frankly all track are great.
    This is a first pressing - most of them come totally trashed with damaged covers and/ or vinyl. While this copy has a very nice looking cover and no visible spindle marks on the label, it is obvious that is has been played a lot throughout the last fifty years - the already quite sibilant recording is quite harsh in percussion heavy moments, but still enjoyable. I use the latest LP version from "Jazz Dispensary" as a playing copy though - comes with Stoughton gatefold cover and mastering by Kevin Gray, so highly recommended if you're not willing to hunt down or wait for an original in acceptable condition. There exist also two japanese CD versions.

13. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I've several LPs of his that I had Randy sign when he was in town here years ago; can't promise how quickly I could do so, but I can take a pic/scan one if having a reference is of use; having been there, I can vouch for their authenticity.

Having never seen nor heard either of those LPs before, I'm also now curious...

almost unison likes this.
  14. ILovethebassclarinet

Though the cover looks familiar, I don't believe I've ever heard it; I note Todd Cochran's name too - I believe everything I've heard by him is from later, when he was going by Bayete, didn't know that he'd ever been associated with Hutcherson.

GnuHigh likes this.
  15. ILovethebassclarinet

With reference to this and a couple of other posts: while I'm not going to list any of them, there are some names (labels/performers/producers) that, when I see them listed, are almost guaranteed to kill any interest that I might have in a recording, based on past exposure to their work.

nosliw likes this.
  16. ILovethebassclarinet

Melvin Sparks is always a great addition to a session too.

frightwigwam, Lonson and Tim 2 like this.
  17. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Absolutely :righton:

Lonson and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  18. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday morning java and jazz
    NP Art Pepper ‘the way it was’
    [​IMG]
    vinyl heads who have his great contemporary trio ; Meets the rhythme section, Intensity and Gettin’ Together will want to get this 72 comp which contains an outtake from each of those LP’s on one side and a lovely session with Wayne Marsh, Ronnie Ball, Ben Tucker & Gary Frommer which was unreleased at this time on the other side

19. [​IMG]
    TAMBU | Cal Tjader and Charlie Byrd (Original Jazz Classics / Fantasy) CD

Acoustic Guitar – Charlie Byrd / Bass – John Heard / Congas – Michael Smithe / Electric Bass – Joe Byrd / Electric Guitar – Charlie Byrd / Electric & Acoustic Piano – Mike Wolff / Drums & Percussion – Dick Berk, Mayuto Correa, Mike Stephans / Vibraphone – Cal Tjader

Recorded September 18-20, 1973. CD remastered in 1996 by Phil De Lancie.

It's always been a pleasure to listen to all the very classy sounding Latin influenced Jazz vibes on this album.

20. ILovethebassclarinet

To my knowledge, I've never heard Charlie B. on electric guitar...

21. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Swell is recovering from surgery and other interventions for throat cancer he revealed on Fakebook. He performed last night I think in a William Parker ensemble in NYC.

22. According to the CD booklet Charlie Byrd plays electric guitar on three selections - Tambu, Black Narcissus, and My Cherie Amour.

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I love this music! I have an English cd version I believe. Bartz and NTU were a great combo and I really dig their music.

24. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Shorty Rogers & His Orchestra: West Coast Sound #1

[​IMG]

bluemooze and dennis the menace like this.
  25. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

I also strongly suggest the Mosaic box with his Atlantic and EMI recordings. Great music.

[​IMG]