Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Gonna work my way through this for the third time.

[​IMG]

markp, bluemooze, KCLizard and 6 others like this.
  2. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

And it is likely that countless thousands of high school tenor sax students tried to copy his Pink Panther solo!

And every school band concert audience member loved it!

I have not checked this version to see if Plas is still on tenor, but it does delete the sound effects

bluemooze, Mike6565 and jonwoody like this.
  3. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

10/30/1973

[​IMG]

markp, bluemooze, Mike6565 and 2 others like this.
  4. cds23

cds23 Accidentally slowing the forum down with huge pics

THE GIUSEPPI LOGAN QUARTET | ESP_DISK | RECORDED 1965 | RELEASED 1965 | US FIRST MONO PRESSING ESP_DISK 1007 LP

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first of two albums on ESP by Giuseppi Logan, a man who received just as much praise as criticism for his technical abilities and character. I for one find it very confusing or even naive to think that all of the Free Jazz cats were gentle, harmony striving and argument evasive individuals. First of all, they created art for the acquired taste; they insisted on doing what they loved, knowing that 99% of the population will hate every single sound they produce. Secondly, some, if not many of those musicians have gone through personal and financial hell - no bookings, no record deal and no roof. With this kind of vita, I know I wouldn't get easier to live or work with. Back on topic, the music presented on this album won't please everyone but if I may speak for myself, I find it fantastic from start to finish, especially Side B which contains "Bleeker Partita", a 15 minute Free/Modal hybrid monster. I get that some dislike that sharp tone produced by Logan and his "chopped" phrasing, but I feel it is a worthy execution of what was supposed to look and sound like a devilish recording. On top of that, the sidemen are so top of the league: Don Pullen, Eddie Gomez and Milford Graves, I mean, a true wizard on the drums.

Ray Cole, SeeDubs, KCLizard and 9 others like this.
  5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Though years ago I gave away my complete run of Downbeat magazine from the mid 1940's to 1972, I had saved a few copies with cover stories on some of my favorite musicians.

50 years ago this week (October 28, 1971), the cover story was on Monk, and the magazine included what might have been Monk's last print-interview (as he had largely stopped speaking).

I believe it was authentic, as Monk's son, T.S., was present, as was tenor player Paul Jeffrey.

The interview was conducted in Mexico City.

Most of his answers were brief, but sometimes they extended to two sentences.

Here are just a few excerpts:

Downbeat: How do you feel about God?
    Monk: Why bring religion into it?
    Downbeat: It's part of you...Are you a religious man?
    Monk: Cool it awhile. Don't get me too fast.
    Downbeat: What do you think the purpose of life is?
    Monk: To die.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  6. Taylor VanRoekel

Taylor VanRoekel Forum Resident

Had an interesting set going this afternoon that I thought I'd share:

Kenny Burrell & John Coltrane, New Jazz, 1962

[​IMG]

I can't remember how this came onto my radar. Kenny Burrell is one of my main guys right now, though. I'm starting to appreciate the adventurous disposition he had. He plays cool ideas here, always in the pocket, which sounds maybe just slightly uncomfortable for Coltrane at times. No doubt, Trane still has such brilliant takes on the melodies in his solos, and hearing his tone with the backing of a guitar is a really cool listen. I'm interested if anyone is familiar with additional "trane+guitar" recordings?

Then I had, Thimar, Anouar Brahem, John Surman, and Dave Holland, ECM, 1996

[​IMG]

Shoutout to whoever posted this album recently here. This one really had me by the throat. Everything works on this set, which is not unusual for these ECM recordings in my limited experience. There's so much space and pause on Manfred Eicher recordings which really helps expose the almost telepathic interplay and colored compositions. You feel everything listening to this, and if you have a predisposition towards the arabic sound, you're in for a memorable listen. The aforementioned space and silence really helps out ECM bass players, and Dave Holland is no exception. He plays here across from Anouar Brahem on Oud, and John Surman on soprano sax and bass clarinet. The whole thing is brilliant.
    As a side note, marcin wasilewski trio is another holy-level group that make you feel things.

Ended it with Circle in the Round, Miles Davis, compilation, Columbia, 1979

[​IMG]

I bought a copy of this record from Delta Breeze in Sacramento recently upon recommendation of the owner. It's a compilation of unreleased recordings from 50s-70's, and as such spans all the little bands major and minor that Davis played with. It's definitely worth picking up if you see it, but the fourth side is what I was after today. Sanctuary is in the same vein as In a Silent Way, and leads into a cover of Crosby, Stills & Nash's Guinnevere. As I was checking out, the owner of aforementiond shop specifically trashed on this closing track. The liner notes also dog on it as a "period piece" that doesn't stand the test of time. I think it sounds like proto trip-hop and has a head knocking groove that could easily be rapped over, let alone its potential as a sample. features Joe Zawinul full spaced out and some cool sitar sounds that fit it nicely with the rest of this afternoon.

Cheers!

7. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Coltrane and Wes Montgomery played together at the Newport Jazz Festival in 1961 for three songs. Rumours are that there is a tape of this performance but don't know if it's real or not. That had to be something to hear !!!

8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I would bet that most Newport Festivals were recorded, but not by the record companies. Issuing them enters a tangle of legal issues as many artists had exclusive contracts.

Remember how Columbia/SONY attempted to stop the issue of Monk in Palo Alto, and succeeded for awhile, even though he had not recorded for Columbia in over 50 years.

9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I have the Kenny Burrell/John Coltrane. I have lots of Miles Davis. I do have three albums by Anouar Brahem, one by John Surman and one by Dave Holland but I have never seen nor heard this trio date and if Qobuz or Tidal will accommodate me I will rectify that momentarily.

Taylor VanRoekel likes this.
  10. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Jimmie Lunceford: Classics 1939

[​IMG]

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

So many mornings Bethold's posts greet me as I wake and sip coffee. Thanks for this wonderful service sir! ;)

Ray Cole, bluemooze, Erik B. and 5 others like this.
  12. Berthold

Thank you @Lonson! This is very friendly!

Lonson likes this.
  13. Berthold

Jimmie Lunceford: The CBS Recordings 1939-40 #2

[​IMG]

14. On a roll last night with Miles Davis shootouts, to free up trades for items on hold at a local store:
    • Miles Davis - Jack Johnson first press vs. 1977 RP (hard to discern a difference, but kept first press)
    • Miles Davis/Monk first press mono vs. Kevin Gray mono remaster (first press was warmer)
    • Miles Davis - Milestones early press mono vs. Kevin Gray 2013 mono (Gray has more punch and captures the frenetic energy, but early press has a subtle appeal and natural quality that keeps me coming back)
    • Birth of the Cool RVG CD vs. Capitol Vol 1 LP mono 70s (the LP won out. The CD was cut hot but the LP worked better at higher volumes without brass becoming shrill)
    • Coltrane Master Takes from the Vanguard (Labson) vs. UHQCD remasters of Live at Vanguard and Impressions. Checking I don't have biases against Labson before deduplicating

15. He can be found on the West Coast recordings in many studio bands with Billy May and more and Glen Gray (Swing Era)
    Plas Johnson

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    bluemooze and jonwoody like this.
  16. Berthold

Jimmie Lunceford: Classics 1940-41

[​IMG]

bluemooze, Six String and Mike6565 like this.
  17. Zhan

Zhan swimming with the maenads

Glad I was able to help!

Bug80 likes this.
  18. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

19. Zhan

Zhan swimming with the maenads

Listening to Amirtha Kidambi's Elder Ones - From Untruth right now for the umpteenth time.

[​IMG]

"Eat the rich" is a common sentiment these days, and this album makes its politics clear from the very first notes. Most of the time, my love of freaky, female vocals is a folk thing, but sometimes this fascination bleeds over into jazz, like in the case of this album or Matana Roberts. The avant-garde improvisations on this album are cathartic escapes from modern oppression. (I can see how this kind of music might upset some people, though.)

20. KCLizard

KCLizard Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Very subtle, perfect music for morning.

21. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

New find
    Miles Davis - live at the Fillmore east March 7,1970
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Berthold

Jimmie Lunceford: The Decca Sessions #6

[​IMG]

23. Taylor VanRoekel

Taylor VanRoekel Forum Resident

Did you find it? Should be a few CD copies knocking around on discogs. Even if you have to ship it from overseas (depending on where you're at), DO IT

24. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

As one of my mono block amplifiers is at the builder's, I'm listening to my living room system which is not quite up to the quality of my main system in the loft upstairs, and as a result I find I am listening to some new rock arrivals more than jazz lately. Rock sounds a bit better on this system to my ears.

Right now listening to the new remaster of the Beatles "Let it Be" which is a fun listen. I think I prefer the original mix. I also have listened to the new Grateful Dead box set, "Listen to the River: St. Louis 1971, 1972 and 1973" and am up to the 1972 shows. Great stuff!

Later today a new transport is arriving destined for the main system. At least I'll get a chance to get it warmed up and seasoned a bit before the mono block returns home.