Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Jazz standards covered by Cyndi Lauper
    Pretty stunning vocals

At Last....live

[​IMG]

rcsrich, Tribute, jbg and 1 other person like this.
  2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Some tenor action!

Dexter Gordon "Live at the Amsterdam Paradiso Vol.1" Solid Records Japan
    CDSOL-46967

[​IMG]

Followed by
    Sonny Stitt and Gene Ammons "Boss Tenors" Japan cd UCCU-8198
    [​IMG]

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

This was a good day. . .Lucinda was off from Wednesday til today and I didn't get to listen much. I listened as much as I could today. I finished up the day of listening with a clean modern recording that was a bit polite but had some great late Joe Williams singing on it, Milt Jackson "The Prophet Speaks"

[​IMG]

And wrapped it up with a beloved recording that is the opposite, a swamp of sound and exploration, Miles Davis "Bitches Brew," this time the Mobile Fidelity SACDs.

[​IMG]

4. jbg

jbg Senior Member

5. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Lol , though here is a couple who did it with style
    [​IMG]

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

On my way to the record store, I cranked this lady up and she has been with me since.

[​IMG]

7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I never knew whether my wife was hunting for rare vinyl or looking for me.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, Robitjazz, Tim 2 and 5 others like this.
  8. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Michael is 73. No one lives forever. I hope he uses the money for a nice long vacation and builds his retirement nest egg.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  9. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

That’s what usually happens with small companies when the owner gets older. Wonder what that means for Mosaic’s future.

10. Pierrot Lunaire

Pierrot Lunaire Forum Resident

Just wanted to check it out, ended up watching the whole hour. Mindblowing!

Jmac1516, jay.dee, Robitjazz and 5 others like this.
  11. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

Now playing: Murley Bickert & Wallace - Live At The Senator. Really great, straightforward playing.

Mike Murley - saxes
    Ed Bickert - guitar
    Steve Wallace - bass

[​IMG]

almost unison likes this.
  12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The first thing that came to mind when I read MC's message was that the proceeds might be used to fund Mosaic.

13. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

That hadn’t occurred to me but, yes, that’s a possibility although you wonder how much he wants to invest considering he might want to retire soon.

14. The Carrot Guy

The Carrot Guy Forum Resident

I intermittently get the bass line from track 1 (I'll Catch You) of John Scofield's Works for Me stuck in my head but had no idea what it was. Glad I've just put in on, because now I know.

[​IMG]

Edit, to give Christian McBride the credit he deserves for the cracking bassline mentioned above, and several others throughout the album.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  15. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Dizzy Gillespie: The RCA Victor Recordings #1

[​IMG]

16. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Thanks for the info; I don't have/haven't heard as much as I'd like; I only have Current Trends in Racism and Dust to Dust; in looking at Discogs, I see there are a bunch that have never made it to any stores around here that I know of.
    One of the 'problems' in liking thousands of artists is keeping up with what they are doing, both time-wise and financially...

Ray Cole, almost unison and Tim 2 like this.
  17. ILovethebassclarinet

Given how long he's been doing what he does, I'm a little surprised to see that he's ONLY 73; I had realized that he was 'young' 50 or so years ago when I first encountered his work, but I hadn't realized how young. Never made that kind of count, but I have hundreds of recordings that he was involved in one way or another, both Mosaics and 'pre-Mosaics,' Arista, etc.

Michael Cuscuna

SeeDubs, frightwigwam and Mark J like this.
  18. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

LOL :biglaugh:

19. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Yeah, I'm finding it impossible to keep up. There's too much interesting new music being made by great artists every week to keep up. Streaming helps in terms of access and affordability, but not everything is streaming -- I just spent $100 on two new Tum Leo Smith releases, the 4-CD collection The Chicago Symphonies, and A Love Sonnet for Billie Holiday, how I wish I could have just streamed them!

Honestly, there's so much great and interesting new music arriving all the time that even if I can hear a lot of it, I can't really absorb it. Years later sometimes I find myself returning to an album that I certainly listened to and maybe liked two years or three years before, when it had been released, but never really fully took it in a way that I find myself doing later.

And this year in particular it seems like there's been a bumper crop of great new jazz recordings. But every year there are more than I can keep up with, never mind all the music from the past I haven't heard.

SeeDubs, Ray Cole, GnuHigh and 4 others like this.
  20. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Dizzy Gillespie & His Big Band: The Studio Sessions 1956-57 #2

[​IMG]

21. ILovethebassclarinet

It's a 'problem' that I've had since I was a kid, but, OTOH, 'having things I've never heard but am looking forward to hearing' is the kind of 'problem' that I don't mind having so much... then or now...

22. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Third shot of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine on next January 4.

23. ILovethebassclarinet

Having gotten the 3rd Pfizer in early October, I'm wondering when the 4th will be available...

Berthold and chervokas like this.
  24. ILovethebassclarinet

Never met him, but given "his career," I'd guess he's another fellow obsessive.

25. bresna

bresna Senior Member

That could be true but unless he's one of those, "I'm working 'til I die" people, he should be at least thinking about retirement by now. :)