Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. nostromo53

nostromo53 Bon Vivant-At-Large

Now enjoying Jeremy Taylor's "reggae" interpretation of Kind Of Blue. Taylor recorded it in 1981, but passed away just weeks after the recording. The Minneapolis label, Secret Stash Records, worked with Jeremy Taylor's estate and finished mixing it and released it in September of 2009.

[​IMG]

Track list --

A1 So What
    A2 Freddie Freeloader
    A3 Blue In Green
    A4 All Blues
    A5 Flamenco Sketches

B1 So What (Dub)
    B2 Freddie Freeloader (Dub)
    B3 Blue In Green (Dub)
    B4 All Blues (Dub)
    B5 Flamenco Sketches (Dub)

almost unison and fingerpoppin like this.
  2. Baystate RJL- 8014 [Japan] - John Lewis " Slavic Smile" - rec. 1982 - Engineer: Bob Simpson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I guess that is the Postmodern Jazz Quartet.

4. GnuHigh

GnuHigh Forum Resident

Fred Frith Trio - Road

[​IMG]

Fred Frith: Electric Guitar, Voice
    Jason Hoopes: Electric Bass, Double Bass
    Jordan Glenn: Drums, Percussion
    GUESTS:
    Susana Santos Silva: Trumpet
    Lotte Anker: Saxophones

one of the best Frith projects I've heard in a while. Intakt Records are having quite a year, they released most of my favorite albums of 2021.

Speaking of which, when do we start seeing end-of-year lists from the regulars on this thread? :cool:

5. Irish51

Irish51 Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Charles Mingus - Changes Two

Charles Mingus - Bass
    Jack Walrath - Trumpet
    George Adams - Tenor Sax
    Don Pullen - Piano
    Dannie Richmond - Drums
    Marcus Belgrave - Trumpet
    Jackie Paris - Vocals

Recorded at Atlantic Studios, NYC - December 28-30, 1974

6. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

This is one of the Corbett vs Dempsey CD issues of of Hat Hut albums that had never seen the light od day after their original issue.

My Lyons collection is restricted to The Box Set that came out on Ayler Records and Jump Up so it was nice to spot this in the Cafe Oto racks last night when I went to see the London Improvisors Orchestra.

Alto Saxophone – Jimmy Lyons
    Bass – Hayes Burnett
    Bassoon – Karen Borca
    Cello – Munner Bernard Fennell
    Drums – Roger Blank

[​IMG]

7. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Ah, I was going to post this up earlier but this gives me the perfect opportunity.

New album coming in January from bassist John Hébert influenced/based on Changes One - and a very decent lineup too. It's not "new" music as the live recording was made in 2013.

John Hébert - bass
    Taylor Ho Bynum - cornet
    Tim Berne - alto saxophone
    Fred Hersch - piano
    Ches Smith - drums & percussion

Sounds of Love, by John Hébert

Irish51 likes this.
  8. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Interesting history:

By the early 1950's, Marian Anderson had a clause in her contract where she refused to sing to segregated audiences. This generally prevented her from singing in the South.

In January 1952, a Florida County Commissioner decided to allow an integrated audience, but only if white audience members knew in advance.

The concert was given to an audience of approximately 1,400, but only 100 white people remained in the hall. 250 white audience members who were not aware of the new policy walked out and demanded and were given refunds. It was a very rare concert for Marian, as it did not sell out all seats. Over 600 seats remained empty, as many whites boycotted the concert. Marian was the most popular and highly paid concert artist of that time.

In addition to a large police guard, Marian Anderson was provided with 50 plain-clothes bodyguards. It was the biggest security force ever for an entertainer in Florida history at that time, for the first integrated concert in the state's history.

Marian Anderson in 1952

[​IMG]

The USA $5 Bill was scheduled to have Marian Anderson on the rear (with Lincoln still on the front), but that was cancelled by the previous administration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    almost unison, Tim 2, SeeDubs and 2 others like this.
  9. edo.t

edo.t Forum Resident

He sure was a master. I've been wanting this one. I have and recommend his discs on the AMMP label.

10. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage (Blue Note UCCU-40119)

I'm just coming back from a week under the Mexican sun and can take advantage of my system...there's only so much satisfaction I can get from Spotify and ear buds......

I connected every day last week to stay in touch and I really liked the posts and exchanges on Maiden Voyage. Indeed, it's an amazing album even if I prefer Empyrean Isles. There's a certain intensity and rawness in the writing and the playing on Isles that I really love. Less accomplished maybe than Maiden but still very exciting.

The 2018 MQA/UHQCD sounds terrific, like all the other titles from these first Blue Note releases on that format.

Great to be back.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    Stu02, Ray Cole, Irish51 and 14 others like this.
  11. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Herbie Hancock - Speak Like A Child (Blue Note UCGO-9017)

The follow up to Maiden Voyage even if released a few years after, Hancock being busy playing with Miles Davis.

[​IMG]

Islands, Stu02, Ray Cole and 11 others like this.
  12. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Usually, at this time of year, Mexico suffers from major lake effect snow storms. But this year, it was sunny and mild.

It was probably good to go somewhere where there were no record stores.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Dorothy Ashby in a Minor Groove (1992, Prestige)

Herman Wright double bass
    Arthur Taylor drums
    Roy Haynes drums
    Frank Wess flute

Dorothy Ashby harp

Great single compilation of her Hip Harp and In a Minor Groove albums, both released in '58. Mellow, elegant and swinging all at once. A nice discovery.

14. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

[​IMG]
    Jacques Loussier Trio's Baroque Favorites. I love this trio and they are almost always very well recorded too. Telarc did a great job here.

Berthold likes this.
  15. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    With Green (p), Tucker (b except on "East"), Brown (b on "East", his composition) & McBrowne (d). Recorded by Richard Alderson at his studio, NYC, 1/8/68. Producer: Don Schlitten. 1990 CD remastered by Phil De Lancie.

16. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

The conversation going on elsewhere on the forum about the asymmetrical riff in Led Zeppelin's "The Ocean" got me thinking about Andrew Hill's 15/8, a song named after its time signature. The signature is very similar to "The Ocean"'s one bar of 4/4 one bar of 7/8, which I always counted as three bars of 4 and one bar of 3 in 8, basically like 15/8.

I hadn't seen this great short documentary about 15/8 before, which appears on Hill's Dusk, and the struggle that some of the best musicians in the world, who routinely play in unusual, asymmetrical time signatures struggled with. Unfortunately it's not embeddable here, but here's the link -- Andrew Hill: 15/8
    '

17. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Brings Paul Robeson's Peace Arch concert to mind.

18. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I've been carrying it in a cart for a while; I did recently get this, which I hadn't heard since the early '70s, and not often then, with a young Zakir H.
    Shanti (5) - Shanti

19. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Jimmy Giuffre: Western Suite

[​IMG]

20. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Cookin' With David Bennett Cohen
    (best remembered for his signature Farfisa organ sound with Country Joe & The Fish)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cohen was born in Brooklyn, New York. He studied classical piano from the age of seven, and later learned to play guitar.[2][3] When he was fourteen, he heard boogie-woogie piano for the first time, and from then on his playing was influenced by boogie-woogie, as well as piano blues. When he was young he attended live performances of Otis Spann, Professor Longhair, Meade Lux Lewis, Pete Seeger, Joshua Rifkin and Josh White, among others.[3] In April 1961, he was one of the musicians involved in the "Beatnik Riot" in Washington Square Park, protesting against the authorities' refusal to allow musicians permits to play in the park.[4] As a guitarist, who performed regularly in Greenwich Village, he started a folk group, the Lane County Bachelors, with Artie Traum and Eric Nagler.[3]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  21. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Interesting story thanks.

22. lemonade kid

Letters From Joubee, Artie Truam

Traum's 1994 release - the jazz project Letters From Joubee - captured #1 on the Smooth Jazz Radio Charts (Gavin AA chart). In 1999 his Meetings With Remarkable Friends - which included tracks featuring Traum playing with The Band, Bela Fleck, Jay Ungar, and other notables - received the Best Acoustic Instrumental Album award from the NAV.

Sometimes smooth jazz is just right for a soft day....

Born and raised in the Bronx, Traum became a part of the Greenwich Village folk music scene in the late 1950s. Early on, Traum co-wrote songs for the Brian De Palma debut film Greetings – the first role for Robert De Niro – with Eric Kaz and Bear.

1969 saw Traum joining forces with his brother Happy Traum in a duo. Their self-titled debut album, Happy & Artie Traum (Capitol Records) was cited by the New York Times as "one of the best records in any field of pop music." The Traums were managed by Albert Grossman (manager of The Band, Dylan, Janis Joplin, etc.). The duo performed at the 1969 Newport Folk Festival on stage with James Taylor, Kris Kristofferson and Joni Mitchell.

[​IMG]

23. lemonade kid

Wayne Krantz...Telecaster style nce live collaboration with Gabriela Anders
    Wayne Krantz y Gabriela Anders- Cool Again

Wayne Krantz is an American guitarist and composer. He has performed and recorded with Steely Dan, Michael Brecker, Donald Fagen, Billy Cobham, Chris Potter, David Binney, and Carla Bley. Since the early 1990s, Krantz has focused primarily on his solo career, mostly as the leader of a trio.

'Cool Again' Gabriela Anders with Anthony Jackson, Wayne Krantz, Jim Ridl and Cliff Almond
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psQF6rtNKDo

[​IMG]

24. lemonade kid

AQUI Y AJAZZ, GABRIELA ANDERS " YOU KNOW WHAT IS LIKE".

:cool: