Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

stroke of luck on my part. Tbh I can’t remember why I bought it. I knew of Hall and maybe Brookmeyer by name but I was listening to “harder” jazz at the time. I grew to like it and pursued other releases by Giuffre later which is a lesson for people to not get rid of jazz albums they don’t get right away. Just file them a way as you might come around later.

2. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

Brother Jack in a very relaxed, soulish, funky mood. Could almost be a live session; it has that sort of feel. The Scratch and Girl Talk are particularly nice; George Benson does some amazing work, contributing to the mood. Let’s put in a good word for Frank Wess too.

3. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

David Hazeltine Trio: The Classic Trio #1

[​IMG]

4. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Another cold morning with a light dusting of snow on the ground. Expecting another quiet day, trying to recover some energy for the next couple days, funeral home tomorrow and Saturday Mass before we lay my mom to rest.
    Some meditative piano music is helping get things started. Hope everyone is staying safe and warm!

[​IMG]
    Sir Roland Hanna* – Duke Ellington Piano Solos
    Label: Musicmasters – 5045-2-C

Tracklist

1 In My Solitude 5:07
    2 Something To Live For 4:45
    3 In A Sentimental Mood 3:38
    4 Portrait Of Bert Williams 2:44
    5 Warm Valley 5:14
    6 Isfahan 1:57
    7 Single Petal Of A Rose 4:37
    8 I Got It Bad And That Ain't Good 7:00
    9 Reflections In D 4:03
    10 Come Sunday 2:25
    11 Caravan 4:10

Six String, charlesp, Stu02 and 4 others like this.
  5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Last night I cued up Myra Melford's wonderful first Snowy Egret album. Her second Snow Egret album seemed to get more attention than the first one, but I think I prefer the first one.

[​IMG]

6. Berthold

Davis Hazeltine Trio: Perambulation

[​IMG]

7. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Andrew Hill Pax (Blue Note), Connoisseur CD.

Always great to hear this session.

Ant G, peter1, Robitjazz and 11 others like this.
  8. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

Nice lineup on this one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gerry Mulligan / Lee Konitz – Revelation
    Label: Blue Note – BN-LA-532-H2, Blue Note – BN-LA-532-H2
    Series: The Blue Note Re-Issue Series
    Format:
    2 x Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Reissue, Mono, Gatefold
    Released: 1975
    Genre: Jazz
    Style: Bop, Hard Bop, Cool Jazz

Credits

9. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Norman Granz issued one of if not ‘the’ first box sets of 6 -78rpm records ( 12 songs) in 1949 or 50 called The Jazz Scene. It was a leather bound folio including photographs taken by Gjon Mili - the same person who did the filming for that Jammin the Blues movie short that I posted a few weeks ago.
    [​IMG]
    this is a photograph from ebay of aset that sold recently. A mint condition box goes for hundreds if not thousands on ebay these days which is extraordinary given 78s dont hold value like archival 33s do.
    ( i have a beat up pair of 10 inch UK reissues below more in line with my budget)
    [​IMG]
    the music is extraordinary; the aforementioned coleman Hawkins track Picasso with his epic solo, a Bird track called - The Bird with his longest studio solo, a heart felt Cherokee by Bud Powell,
    A up-temp Prez on I want to be happy and more.
    In all cases the artists seem to be on fire notwithstanding a host of personal troubles each was struggling through at the time
    Here is a paragraph from the Granz bio by Tad Hershorn The Man Who Used Justice For Jazz - which is recommended (if a little too focused on the JATP concert tours )
    Granz work on civil rights is to really be applauded and is really not known as much as it should be and the book gives a lot if interested info on that…
    [​IMG]Edit : a 2cd expanded set with small book of the photos was issued in 1994. The irascible Granz was annoyed they watered the original perfection of selections with BS alt takes etc. i would have liked him personally I think.

10. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Sam Sanders "Mirror, Mirror" Strata Records, cd

[​IMG]

Man, this is a time machine recording.

11. almost unison

almost unison Forum Resident

NP: Interpretations of Monk (4CD, DIW, 1994)

Don Cherry (t), Steve Lacy (ss), Charlie Rouse (ts), Roswell Rudd (tb), Richard Davis (b), Ed Blackwell (d, CD2&4), Ben Riley (d, CD 1&3)

Muhal Richard Abrams (p, CD1), Barry Harris (p, CD2), Anthony Williams (p, CD3), Mal Waldron (p, CD4)

In 1981 Verna Gillis assembled an all-star band to pay tribute to Monk. On 1 November 1981 an afternoon concert presented Abrams and Harris as on the piano while the evening show featured Waldron and Davis.

Even if these CDs might not have the very best versions of Monk's compositions ever, each set is enjoyable and the opportunity to compare the way in which the pianists engaged with Monk's compositions in a similar setting adds another compelling reason to listen to this set.

It is nice to hear Abrams engage with someone else's compositions: he is quite modest and gives the others room to shine. Lacy's solo take on 'Gallops' Gallop' is a highlight. Harris' playing shows a strong familiarity with and love for the source material. He dominates the ensemble a bit more than Abrams and that makes for some nice variety between the sets. Davis was the youngest contributor. He had recorded Monk compositions before, though, and his playing has a confident, clear, and bright (in a good way) sound. Maldron might be the pianist on this set who is most famous as a Monk interpreter and his tightly freewheeling (if that's a thing) set might be my favorite here - and the one I'm listening to right now.

[​IMG]

jay.dee, markp, SeeDubs and 9 others like this.
  12. Lonson

13. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Evidence CD 23015-2

[​IMG]
    Evidence CD 22066-2

Irish51, jay.dee, peter1 and 8 others like this.
  14. Berthold

David Hazeltine Trio: Manhattan

[​IMG]

15. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Granz certainly pioneered the issue of deluxe box sets, with special artwork and extras. There were 78 "boxsets" before that, but none were so deluxe, and few were planned as "concept" albums.

I have a friend who has the original deluxe edition that later was autographed by Duke Ellington, Coleman Hawkins and Lester Young, along with several of Duke's band members. It was given to him as a gift from the man who got the autographs.

The deluxe edition of Ella Sings Gershwin even included an autograph from Gershwin himself. Granz had purchased a series of George's autographs from the estate just to add to the box.

16. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

17. Lonson

Six String likes this.
  18. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

Mike Westbrook Westbrook-Rossini (hat ART CD 6002). Recorded November 11 & 12, 1986.

Alto Saxophone: Peter Whyman
    Drums: Peter Fairclough
    Piano, Tuba: Mike Westbrook
    Piccolo Flute, Tenor Horn, Voice: Kate Westbrook
    Sopranino Saxophone: Lindsay Cooper
    Trombone: Paul Nieman
    Tuba: Andy Grappy

Mike and Kate Westbrook's cheeky arrangements of Rossini's melodies. It would have been so hip for the Lone Ranger to ride to the rescue accompanied by this rendition of "March of the Swiss Soldiers."

19. Lonson

Jethro Tull "A" Deluxe "A La Mode" edition, 2020 cd 1

[​IMG]

If you ever can't decide between playing Jethro Tull or the Mahavishnu Orchestra, try this one. . . .

[​IMG]

20. Berthold

David Hazeltine Trio: Cleopatra's Dream

[​IMG]

charlesp likes this.
  21. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

I have the one issued in 1994. Phil Schaap repeatedly discussed this set.

ILovethebassclarinet and Stu02 like this.
  22. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2013 edition remastered at RTI.

kiddo4, Irish51, Ant G and 16 others like this.
  23. ILovethebassclarinet

NP:
    Now, going in a different direction, some nostalgia from high school, c. 1970
    I know that I took it to our little 'cafeteria circle' to play; Albert was no more popular than late period Trane, as I brought Cosmic Music and Live in Seattle in too. Blues would go over a lot better...
    Albert Ayler - Bells
    I didn't wade through the 52 versions; mine is a red cover ESP 1010, purchased at Discount Records c. 1969/70.

24. Lonson

Archie Shepp "Lover Man" Timeless/Solid Records cd

[​IMG]

25. ILovethebassclarinet