Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Staxus

Staxus Hyperactive!

Eric Dolphy and friends -- Hot, Cool & Latin
    [​IMG]

2. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Sonny Rollins, Steve Kuhn, Reggie Workman.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  3. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

I was wondering about Steve Kuhn. What session(s) did he record with Coltrane again? Or was he just in the band for a while?

4. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Rollins. Duh! :doh: Of course.

5. Pimjazz0

Pimjazz0 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    R.I.P. mr Sanders

jay.dee, almost unison, Ant G and 3 others like this.
  6. quindembo

quindembo Forum Resident

Carlos Ward too. He is heard on the recent live recording of Love Supreme in Seattle.

7. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

8. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    David Murray Latin Big Band Now Is Another Time (Justin Time)

9. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Kuhn was in one of Coltrane's bands. There were no recordings.

DrJ and Sorcerer like this.
  10. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Kenny Burrell (1931) still living.

11. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I think I'll have time to squeeze in one more album before work:

Tomasz Stanko: Music 81

[​IMG]

jay.dee, Starwanderer and bluemooze like this.
  12. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

I was thinking that some of the performances on this were by Kuhn, but it's all Tyner:
    John Coltrane Quartet - Live At The Jazz Gallery 1960

This shows that a private tape does exist, the date on the RLR release is June 27, 1960.

John Coltrane Discography
    John Coltrane Quartet
    John Coltrane, tenor sax; Steve Kuhn, piano; Steve Davis, bass; Pete La Roca, drums.

"Jazz Gallery", NYC, April, 1960

How High The Moon private tape
    minor blues -
    Equinox -

John Coltrane Quartet
    John Coltrane, tenor sax; McCoy Tyner, piano; Steve Davis, bass; Pete La Roca, drums.

"Jazz Gallery", NYC, June 27, 1960

Softly, As In A Morning Sunrise private tape
    I Can't Get Started -
    Like Sonny -
    unknown title -

13. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Emanuel Rahim

14. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Just picked this one up, a two-fer Fantasy CD reissue of two Prestige albums featuring pianist Ronnie Mathews. The better of the two dates is the first, originally recorded in December 1963 and released under the leader Mathews' name as Doin' the Thang; it features Freddie Hubbard in his early prime, several months before recording his own stellar Breaking Point album for Blue Note. Also on board and always good to hear is baritone saxophonist Charles Davis. Recorded at Van Gelder's, and nicely remastered by Kirk Felton, it's a gem of a recording sonically and musically - and one I didn't even know existed until reading Bob Blumenthal's excellent liner notes for the recently released Mosaic set of Hubbard's Blue Note recordings.

The second date is not quite as strong, but still enjoyable, originally recorded in 1961 and led by Roland Alexander, released on New Jazz as "Pleasure Bent." The soloists are excellent with Mathews, Alexander, and trumpeter Marcus Belgrave - their playing is really good (Alexander in particular has a great sound, with a tone not unlike that of Tina Brooks). But most of the program consists of Alexander originals that, at least so far, don't really stand out much. And I do find the bass and drums tandem (Gene Taylor and Clarence "Scoby" Stroman, respectively) is "wrong" for this kind of music, too purely functional, playing it very straight. In fact I think that's one of the factors in the compositions not coming across as strongly as they might otherwise - some of them have unusual twists and turns that really cry out for more rhythmic creativity. As a whole, it's one of the more conventional dates I've heard to be released on the New Jazz imprint, sounding more late 1950s than early 1960s.

All in all a great way to spend some quality listening time.

15. I know only he was with Getz

[​IMG]

16. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    bluemooze and Robitjazz like this.
  17. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I too prefer the sound of the Connoisseur CD... because it isn't distorted. :)

frightwigwam and mike_c like this.
  18. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

My understanding is that he was the original pianist in the Quartet that Trane formed in early 1960 (after leaving Miles' group). Trane's Quartet had an extended engagement at the Jazz Gallery in NYC, and the personnel shifted some over that engagement. But the article linked below (I can't vouch for the full accuracy, would be good if anyone in the know could correct this if it's not the case) says: "His band at the start of the engagement included pianist Steve Kuhn, bassist Steve Davis and drummer Pete LaRoca." Too bad there aren't any recordings, would have been interesting to hear how this combo sounded.

A Year in Music - 1960 Jazz: Atlantic Records, part 2

19. CAPITOL MFP 5612 St - Nat 'King' Cole / George Shearing " Let There Be Love" - rec. 1961
    Featuring Emil Richards & Paul Horn among o.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. CAPITOL ECR-88034 [Japan] - The Les Brown All Stars (four different groups) - rec. 1955

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

vanhooserd and bluemooze like this.
  21. peskypesky

peskypesky Forum Resident

My guru has passed.

Thank you so much for all the beautiful, soul-healing music.

RIP master.

22. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I never had the parker verve 2 fers only those earlier single lps numbered that Sorcerer referred too and they sounded good

davidpoole likes this.
  23. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

I don’t have it on SACD, but Pollini’s Bartok Second Piano Concerto with Abbado leading the Chicago Symphony is a top favorite.

24. Tony A.

Tony A. Senior Member

Lily Tomlin in her stage show, “The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe” lists things that worry her. One is that half the people in the audience that night don’t want to be there.

Stu02 likes this.
  25. paddrino

paddrino Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Wayne Shorter: Alegria

There is some nice spicy sections of this album. It has that "smooth jazz" feel, but overall the album has some really nice playing and some cool harmonies. There are also a few interesting tracks with some string sections on here that were quite nice.

There is also quite a bit of a "latin" feel to the tracks with the rhythm section with some tracks.

(From DROffline MkII) (731454355827)
    [​IMG]