Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

I liked his blog at first too, but then I grew tired of it. Could just be me.

2. ATR

ATR Senior Member

What he wrote about improvisation was painful. Improvisation is everywhere in the New England Conservatory curriculum. Joe Morris teaches it. Nonetheless and although not on my radar Iverson is very popular with a major segment of the Jazz audience. He's a lucky man.

frightwigwam and danasgoodstuff like this.
  3. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

When I first saw this title listed I thought it was a compilation like the Talkin' Verve Acid Jazz comps. Love this trio and any times that Green recorded with Elvin Jones and/or Larry Young.
    [​IMG]

4. Keith Taylor

Keith Taylor Senior Member

Spinning another Music Matters title this evening. :whistle:

Horace Parlan - On The Spur Of The Moment - 2 LP 45rpm (Music Matters 2009)

[​IMG]

5. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

Kenny Dorham, Jackie McLean and Bobby Timmons, and they all shine. Teddy Smith and J.C. Moses make up the rest of the rhythm section.

6. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

It’s both. I have to admit I’ve also read him more than I’ve listened to him. I like his writing. His article on his friend Frank Kimbrough after Frank Kimbrough died was particularly good, in my opinion.

7. MIOM

MIOM Music Is Our Mind

Having read the Iverson piece, I completely understand where he comes from, but I also see where @chervokas takes issue. Great post BTW.

ILovethebassclarinet likes this.
  8. paddrino

paddrino Forum Resident

9. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP James Newton - Romance And Revolution (Blue Note) 80s DMM
    Superb playing all around.

10. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I didn't know it. Jake Byard with a big band intrigues me much.
    I'll give a listen on Spotify. Good suggestion for me.

Tony A. and ILovethebassclarinet like this.
  11. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I am reading the discussion about Iverson article
    As simple jazz listener living in Italy, I struggle to understand that for an American pianist of the contemporary age, the role models are Tyner, Hancock, Corea, Jarrett, ignoring a remarkable bunch of pianists known as great improvisers from which one can draw inspiration for own playing. I have seen some posts where some of them are mentioned very opportunately.
    From the old Europe to Zawinul I add Martial Solal that is very underrated.

12. ILovethebassclarinet

ILovethebassclarinet Forum Resident

Her autobio is some interesting reading as well; apparently she and Roy Eldridge weren't 'tight' when they were doing duets with Krupa's band is one recollection that I have from reading it.

13. ILovethebassclarinet

And Tatum?
    I'd say that Tatum's influence on Powell was pretty significant.

14. ILovethebassclarinet

A few days back, I got an email from RogueArt about a sale; don't know if it's still on or not...

dennis the menace likes this.
  15. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Duke Ellington: Classics 1928-1929

[​IMG]

Irish51, peter1, paddrino and 6 others like this.
  16. Berthold

Duke Ellington: Classics 1929

[​IMG]

Irish51, peter1, paddrino and 5 others like this.
  17. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

[​IMG]
    Poncho Sanchez - Freedom Sound

18. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Well, he's talking about who were the big names among working pianists for his generation of up and coming jazz pianists. Iverson was born in 1973, so he's a little young really for the era when those four were really dominating the jazz festival circuit and showing up on the cover of Contemporary Keyboard magazine and Downbeat. But in the '70s and '80s those really would have been the "big four" in that category. I think that's all he's saying and its hard to suggest otherwise, though I think Cecil Taylor, divisive though he may have been, was just as big a presences in the festivals and on the magazines at the time. But I guess not one who made on impression on Iverson's generation. He's often writing about the taste of his generation, its one of his common constructions as a writer, but it seems that by "generation" he means not all people or even all jazz musicians who are in their late 40s and early 50s, but a tighter circle of musical acquaintances than that.

19. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

I think we’re probably putting more thought into Iverson’s analysis of improvisation and pianists than he did when he originally posted them on Twitter.

20. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I think that's exactly right. His blog was more thoughtfully considered and written usually, but you know, Twitter, is not really a platform for that, it's more a platform for dashed off provocative quips, hot take reactions. and snarky gifs.

21. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

In some ways, the conversation on here has been similar to some of the (rare) better parts of Twitter when someone could throw out an idea and there would be an actual conversation about it. My favorites responses to Iverson in this thread - especially yours - have been critical of his post while also expanding the discussion. It’s not “lol, this is dumb” but substantive considerations of the question of great ‘70s pianists.

22. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Those certainly would not have been among the "big four" for his generation. Iverson would have turned 21 in 1993, he would have been like six or seven with Bill Evans died, 9 when Monk died. Those guys would have been figures from jazz history for his generation, not living breathing stars on stage and magazine covers, with new albums that you waited for, and who you could imagine yourself being like and following in the footsteps of. Iverson, in those posts, isn't writing about the whole history of jazz piano, he's writing about the pianists who were big figures for he and his young peers when they were young musicians coming up in the 80s and early 90s.

23. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

The problem with trying to do that on Twitter -- besides being interrupted by trolls -- is the character limit. Even writing threaded posts, 280 characters at a time doesn't leave much room for intelligent, thoughtful discussion. Just dashed off quips, hot take reactions and snarky gifs!

24. Berthold

Duke Ellington: Classics 1929-1930

[​IMG]

Irish51, peter1, paddrino and 6 others like this.
  25. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

[​IMG]
    Wadada Leo Smith's Golden Quartet