Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. TheNightfly1982

TheNightfly1982 Forum Resident

2. Keith Taylor

Keith Taylor Senior Member

A combination of World music, Blues, and Jazz can describe this title by Ali Farka Touré. Excellent!

Ali Farka Touré (World Circuit 1987)

[​IMG]

3. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Julian Lage - View With A Room
    Blue Note. Jazz Fusion
    :):thumbsup:

[​IMG]

I was immediately drawn in by the clever, pithy title & stayed for the stylish, imaginative & inspired compositions from a wunderkind jazz guitarist with his talented, steady accompanists: On bass, Jorge Roeder & drummer, Dave King. Alongside, on 6 tracks is the eclectic veteran jazzist, *Bill Frisell.

"...Frisell and Lage jell beautifully together on tunes such as the graceful opener “Tributary,” “Auditorium,” and the driving “Chavez,” which keeps Roeder’s heavy bassline running through the song as the strings seamlessly rip through dozens of chords. “Temple Steps” gives off bluesy Caribbean vibes, and on the more swinging “Word for Word” Lage’s swift runs are a standout.

Overall, this is a vibrant mix of swing, blues, and elegant arrangements that showcase the growing compositional skill of one of today’s brightest jazz guitarists. Let’s hope for plenty more Frisell and Lage collaborations in the future.
    " ~ Jazz Times

Temple Steps, live performance video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU477HxO6j4 - Auditorium *w/*Bill Frisell, so it's audio, not one of the pretty highly numbered live performance videos for this record. I suppose Bill Frisell must not have been available for them, but I wanted to fairly leave a true-to recording upload for one of the six tracks he contributes to.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2022
  4. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

Listened to from this compilation featuring Sibelius' music, Symphony no. 7 and Night Ride and Sunrise played by City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra conducted by Simon Rattle:

Sibelius – Simon Rattle • City Of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra • Philharmonia Orchestra - Symphonies Nos. 5 & 7 • Scene With Cranes (Kuolema) • Night Ride And Sunrise

I have much enjoyed this cd. To me an album that can be appreciated for its deep lyricism.
    Two great symphonies and two brief tunes however well structured by the Finnish composer. Simon Rattle is a warranty.

5. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Elvin Jones "The Prime Element" Blue Note Japan UHQCD 2022

Disc 2

I've always loved this interpretation of the Jobim tune "O Amor em Paz"

6. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

7. Pimjazz0

Pimjazz0 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Rainbo pressing…. Doesn’t sound bad but this one deserves a proper reissue.

8. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

[​IMG]
    Back on this one again. Really love this early '40's session on CD1 ("In the Gloaming," "I Cover the Waterfront," "Everything's Been Done Before").

9. Lonson

[​IMG]

Brew Moore "Copenhagen Brew" 2 cd set, Steeplechase Records, disc 1

10. Berthold

Berthold "When you swing....swing some more!" -- Th. Monk

Duke Ellington: Classics 1930-1931

[​IMG]

11. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Eddie Johnson Love You Madly (Delmark)

12. US Department of Health, Education & Wellfare - Duke Ellington "4 Radio Shows"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

What absurd death for Gary McFarland.

TheNightfly1982 likes this.
  14. Xanadu 174 - Joe Farrell " "Skate Board Park" - rec. 1979 - Engineer: Arne Frager

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. mgb70

mgb70 Senior Member

Ahmad Jamal - Live in Paris (1971) (Transversales Disques, Paris, France) - Lost ORTF Recordings

I've been really enjoying this series (live Paris releases from Pharoah Sanders and Archie Shepp are also recommended). Sound quality and performances are excellent. I have the ALACs for streaming as well as the vinyl. Pressing quality has been terrific. Highly recommended.

Live in Paris (1971), by Ahmad Jamal

[​IMG]

jay.dee, Irish51, KCLizard and 9 others like this.
  16. Thomashh

Thomashh Forum Resident

Wynton Marsalis- Standard Time Vol.1

Irish51, Berthold, KCLizard and 6 others like this.
  17. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP The Great Jazz Trio - Blue Minor (eightyeights) BSCD
    Hank Jones, George Mraz and Billy Kilson.

Berthold, KCLizard, Tony A. and 2 others like this.
  18. Lonson

I have this set. An interesting "now and then" listen.

Right now
    Count Basie Orchestra (directed by Frank Foster) "Live at the El Morroco" Telarc cd

[​IMG]

19. Lonson

Ahmad Jamal Trio "Emerald City Nights: Live at the Penthouse 1963-1964"

[​IMG]

20. YouCantWin

YouCantWin Lacking in Some Direction

Coincidentally, I streamed this earlier today. I love this version of "Bogota."

21. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Vance Gilbert jazz, folk, world music, icon...

Vance Gilbert (born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States) is an American folk singer-songwriter. He started as a jazz singer, switched to folk music, became a regular on the open mike circuit in Boston and toured with Shawn Colvin. He has recorded thirteen albums, including Side of the Road (with Ellis Paul), three of them on Philo/Rounder Records.

Raised in Willingboro Township, New Jersey, Gilbert graduated from Connecticut College.[1]

Gilbert is known for his improvisational rapport with audiences during his shows. He speaks, as he sings, with sincerity and depth. He has a wide range, covering Joni Mitchell one moment and doing what sounds like a jazz classic (but is actually his own) the next. Many songs, such as "Old White Men", "Charlene", and (perhaps his personal favorite) "Unfamiliar Moon" tell profound stories and touch on important topics. Many of his other tunes, such as "Goodbye Pluto" and "Waiting For Gilligan" take familiar stories from contemporary headlines and from popular culture and approach them in a whimsical and beautiful way.

[​IMG]

Ellis Paul and Vance

Jazz influences here..some fine guitar here too.
    Taking It All To Tennessee

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

His album of standards is excellent. The arrangements are not typical at all, and his vocal phrasing is very expressive.

[​IMG]

This 2006 album (not listed in Discogs for some reason) is also superb

[​IMG]

23. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Usual flick through the S/H racks at Ray's the other evening gave me Art Tatum Group Masterpieces vol Five (Hampton/Edison) and this one which was a bargain at £7. The first album of Marquis Hill's I've heard although I have him as sideman on Mike Reed, Makaya McCraven, Joel Ross and others.

Bass – Harish Raghavan
    Drums – Kendrick Scott
    Piano – James Francies
    Tenor Saxophone – Walter Smith III
    Trumpet, Composed By – Marquis Hill
    Vibraphone – Joel Ross

[​IMG]

24. Starquest

Starquest ‎ ‎ ‎

"Guys, we need a photo for the album cover!"

"What should we do?"

"I dunno, head down to the local skatepark and get a shot of you with the little shredders"

"Uhh . . . okay . . . ?"

"Don't forget your sax"

"Why?"

"No idea. It's the 70s. Just bring it!"

"Got it"

25. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident