Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Charles Mingus - East Coasting (Solid Records CDSOL-45505)

My day was mainly with Monk and Mingus....enjoying this one right now.

[​IMG]

paddrino, Stu02, Tony A. and 21 others like this.
  2. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

Mingus has so many great albums, I can see how a great one might get left a little behind in the acclaim department.... but not that one.... what a great album! Definitely deserves more recognition.

3. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Thelonious Monk - The Unique Thelonious Monk (Original Jazz Classics OJCCD-064-2)

Closing my evening with one last Monk album in a Trio with Oscar Pettiford and Art Blakey from 1956.

[​IMG]

4. WP: Chris Connor Sings The George Gershwin Almanac Of Song (Atlantic 1957 mono US black label OG 2LP)

Looking back at the thread, there are many posts of this one, and I suspect a combination of @Stu02 @Lonson @Tribute stirred anticipation for this particular title.
    Well, it is living up to the hype. An instant fave. My Chris Connor crush continues. The recording feels so intimate, hearing her unique expression of the Gershwin classics.
    I'll be tracking down a cleaner copy.

[​IMG]

NP: George Russell – Electronic Sonata For Souls Loved By Nature (Flying Dutchman 1971 promo US LP)

First listen, and I hadn't realized it had what looks (and sounds) in part like an ECM line-up, though perhaps more ECM New Series, modern classical, or like the Ictus Records material I've been listening to.
    [​IMG]

While I'd seen the Soul Note version more often, how cool that Strata East released it. I wasn't aware they did reissues. And of course that version is the priciest which goes to show you the collect-mania around that particular label.

jay.dee, Stu02, bluemooze and 9 others like this.
  5. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Winding down a long day with some electric Miles. Live in Europe '69 side 7 Bitches Brew and Paraphenalia. Cold here again tomorrow but I'll be hiking with the dogs. we were out this morning.

6. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP Joe Harriott/John Mayer Double Quintet - Indo- Jazz Fusions (Atlantic) Japanese cd
    This isn’t everyone’s cup of Darjeeling but we had curried lamb tonight so it seemed appropriate.

NP Wynton Kelly Trio w/ Wes Montgomery - Live At the Half Note (Verve) AP SACD

Back to our regular rescheduled program. :)

7. WP: Phil Woods / Tommy Flanagan / Red Mitchell – Three For All (Enja Germany 1981 LP)

My wife typically does not visit the man cave / listening room, but made an exception, and did not complain about this recording. I reminded her that we'd heard Flanagan in the 90s in the Village. Nice to have a companion for listening.
    Excellent sound on these original compositions by the three headliners.

[​IMG]

NP: Hugh Lawson – Prime Time (Storyville 1982 US LP)

1978 trio recording, the debut by Lawson as a leader.
    I heard Color (Soul Note) first so am now back-tracking, and enjoying pianist Lawson's take on Mingus, Powell, Clifford Jordan et al.
    [​IMG]

8. Six String

Six String Senior Member

I played Tom Verlaine’s Warm And Cool for my partner today. She had heard a sampler of his music on NPR the other day and I could tell it wasn’t to her liking (no surprise really). She liked Warm And Cool. :)

NP Louis Smith - Smithville (Blue Note) Music Matters 45 RPM Pressing

9. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

You can get the ‘love’ emoji from @Tribute who requested to borrow it for some project of his.

JeffMo and Six String like this.
  10. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I never 'borrowed' love from nobody.

But I have loaned it out.

Stu02 likes this.
  11. Six String

Six String Senior Member

:o Love For Sale.

12. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Dylan note: Till I Fell In Love vers. 3 is devastatingly good.

dennis the menace likes this.
  13. Valkenburg

Valkenburg Forum Resident

Wadada Leo Smith, Milford Graves & Bill Laswell.

"Social Justice - A Fire for Reimagining the World" from the album Sacred Ceremonies.

14. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

Hmmm, under appreciated? But mostly a pretty fine album :)

[​IMG]

Love the live album from this time...

[​IMG]

15. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

[​IMG]
    This 1993 recording, released on the Muse label, isn’t nearly as well known as it should be. Spaulding, one is the all time great altoists with maybe the most original sound around had so few leader dates - and this may be the best. A hard bop fanatic’s dream program with classic era pieces from Hank Mobley (two! Hipsippy Blues and Soul Station), Elmo Hope (Vaux-En), Tina Brooks (Gypsy Blue, first heard on Freddie Hubbard’s Blue Note debut Open Sesame), Art Farmer (Rue Prevail), Clifford Brown (Gerkin for Perkin), Freddie Redd (Bleeker Street Blues), and Paul Chambers (Chamber Mates) plus one each from the pianist on the date Ronnie Mathews and then-Young Lion Roy Hargrove. The band is outstanding with Spaulding in crackling form (on flute, bass flute and piccolo as well as alto) joined by Dan Faulk on tenor, Don Sickler on trumpet, Mathews on piano, Ray Drummond bass and the great Louis Hayes on drums. Nicely engineered by RVG too. This is the stuff.

16. Atlantic SD 1553 - John Coltrane " The Coltrane Legacy" - rec. 1959 / 1960 / 1961 - Engineers: Tom Down & Phil Ramone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Recorded in Oslo in April 1969 it was out on Flying Dutchman in 1971 before it was picked up by Strata East first a few years later, then by Soul Note in the 80s.

And it was through seeing the Russell sextet in Bologna in 1969 that Manfred Eicher first encountered Garbarek, Rypdal, and Christensen and signed them up to ECM...Garbarek's Afric Pepperbird with all three was recorded on ECM the following year.

18. Staxus

Staxus Hyperactive!

The Trio Beyond - Saudades
    [​IMG]

19. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

Well, have to note first synchronicity of the day. I just flipped past the above Trio Beyond title when I was pulling the Lee Morgan title I'm currently spinning.
    Another cold morning here. There is no new snow on the ground so I can get a brisk walk in with the dogs without high risk of ice on the road. Today, after a morning rowing workout, I'll be packing numerous vinyl shipments and delivering to the post office and then listing more for sale. (It's gonna be a long process.) And since my dry second half of January is complete, a friend is stopping over this evening to sip just a little bourbon.

Hope everyone is staying safe and digging some tunes.
    This classic is on now.....Alfred made some money with this one

Lee Morgan – The Sidewinder
    [​IMG]

Label: Blue Note – CDP 7 46137 2
    Style: Hard Bop
    Tracklist
    1 The Sidewinder 5:32
    2 Totem Pole 10:13
    3 Gary's Notebook 6:05
    4 Boy, What A Night 7:32
    5 Hocus-Pocus 6:22

Credits
    Notes
    Recorded at the Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey on December 21, 1963.

20. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

[​IMG]
    Wendell Harrison - An Evening With The Devil

21. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Listening to this Neil Young boot again. Six tracks from the Freedom album. Great versions of Crime in the City, El Dorado, etc.
    -----------
    Neil Young
    OLD GRINGO!
    Buccaneer Records (BUC 026/1 & 026/2)
    Source: Pre-FM WWO broadcast discs
    Transfer: Original silvers -> EAC -> Flac(8)

DISC TWO -- 1989 European solo tour, broadcast in 1990

1 Hey Hey, My My
    2 Keep on Rockin' in the Free World
    3 The Old Laughing Lady
    4 Razor Love
    5 Don't Let It Bring You Down
    6 Someday
    7 Crime in the City
    8 El Dorado
    9 Too Far Gone
    10 Comes a Time
    11 The Needle and the Damage Done
    12 No More
    13 Ohio
    14 Powderfinger

DISC 2
    Westwood One Superstar Concert Series, Europe 1989
    Tracks
    1, 2, 9, 12 Hamburg 12-8-89
    3, 11, 14 Paris 12-11-89
    4, 10 Rotterdam 12-13-89
    5, 7, 8, 13 London 12-12-89
    6 Amsterdam 12-10-89

Acoustic European tour, 1989:
    Neil Young - vocals, guitar, banjo, keyboards, harmonica
    Frank Sampedro - guitar. mandolin, vocals
    Ben Keith - dobro, keyboards, vocals

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    Starwanderer, JeffMo, GnuHigh and 2 others like this.
  22. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

+1

23. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

[​IMG]

Thanks again to Lon.

CalaveraJ, DrJ, Sorcerer and 5 others like this.
  24. Thanks Roger. I'm now better informed, and that's another reminder to check out Afric Pepperbird on Qobuz.

NP: The Trio: Billy Bean, Hal Gaylor, Walter Norris – The Trio (Riverside stereo 1961 OG)

I've been on a jazz guitar kick recently, so figured I'd check out Billy Bean's style in this trio setting.
    From the liners by Jim Hall, he appears to be an acolyte of Hall, though his style is more swing-oriented.
    I see now that I've heard his guitar on various Herbie Mann, Paul Horn, John Lewis, Annie Ross, etc. records, but this is first time hearing him as a leader.

[​IMG]

25. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I missed these Tribe reissues tell last week and I have been streaming them all since then. Fabulous music coming from similar socio political disillusionment as Strata East AACM , Black Jazz etc. surprised there isnt more buzz about this